“Surprise! And not in a good way.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Viena
Laprida 235, Cordoba, Argentina   |
Ranked #10 of 38 Cordoba B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“Surprise! And not in a good way.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was happy to book this hotel based on previous reviews and got quite a nasty shock. Granted, it was Easter weekend and I was rather desperate as I'd left bookings very late, but it really was a disappointment for me. I got room 151, a miniature single room with only space for the single bed, a table and my suitcase along its width, literally. The room reminded me of my first trip to Europe in the 80s, where despite paying a hefty single supplement I always ended up in the broom cupboard. Same here, 30 years later. The paint on the walls date from that time too, I'm sure. It was really just dirty, right next to the lift and the stairs and on the noisy front street.

I have to say the sheets and towels were pristine, but the pillow, bedspread, blanket had all seen and smelt better days. There was a small TV, a small safe and a small wardrobe in the room and an aircon, but it looked so dusty I was really pleased I didn't need to use it.

The bathroom was ok, apart from the constantly dripping toilet right next to the sign that says 'Please save water'. Good hot shower and nice complimentary toiletries and a hairdrier completed the picture.

My big complaint is that the day after I was covered in millions of small bites. They must have come from that bed and stinky pillow. That's really not cool. I also feel I got ripped of with the price. 350 pesos for a broom closet with wildlife in the bed really isn't on.

Breakfast seemed ok, but by 9.30 there wasn't much left and they'd run out of clean crockery too, so guests were putting fruit salad in coffee cups, wrestling for the last glass of juice...

With just a little effort I'm sure this hotel could be quite nice in its category, but based on the room I had, I'd certainly stay away. I've given it an "Average" rating based on this potential the optimist in me sees for this place. There were other rooms behind reception numbered 50 and up that appeared from the outside to be newer, but I don't know if they are.

Wifi didn't work in the room or even in the reception area so another feature that doesn't exist there.

Book a single room at Hotel Viena at your peril...

Room Tip: Definitely off Laprida Avenue -it's much too noisy. Definitely not a single room if you can help...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cardigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This little gem between the hip Guemes district and upscale Nueva Cordoba has lots of comfort and convenience. The breakfast is among the best we've encountered in Argentina, the beds are comfortable, the rooms are well-maintained and the staff is friendly and helpful. Our only quibble would be with the air conditioning - it's either on full blast or off and it is controlled from the desk which means you have to call whenever you want it on or off - and you'd better know how to say that in Spanish, BTW! Yes, we would definitely stay again and recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Right by the artisan fair, restaurants and bars in Nueva Cordoba and only a few blocks from the Jesuit centre, this hotel couldn't be better located. It's a simply done hotel with wifi and comfy beds, good breakfast buffet and very helpful staff. Not luxury but perfect for what it is and great value for money.

Room Tip: Apparently rooms are varying sizes - we had 103 (i think) which was a triple room though there were...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel reminded me of basic tourist-class hotels where I have stayed in Germany: extremely clean, generous complimentary breakfast buffet, good front desk staff, fairly low prices, and a good shower + bath tub. The decor is out of date and there is nothing particularly exciting, luxurious, or trendy about the hotel, but it offers every basic service that a low to mid range tourist would need, including free wifi and an inroom safe, as well as air conditioning and other comforts. Our towels were old but bright white and changed daily. Our linens were spotless and fresh, and our bed was very firm and comfortable.

The room was dark and didn't have any kind of view, and without the ac on it could be noisy. The furnishings are very basic, circa 1987 but functional, and again, clean.

I particularly liked this hotel because when we arrived at 9am after an over night bus ride from buenos aires, the clerk let us check in early with no charge. We fell right to sleep and felt so grateful not to have had to wait. Similarly, they let us check out an hour late when we left, so that we could have some extra time to get ready for another long journey to Mendoza. The clerk made sure to let us know that they could store our luggage and we were welcome to use their bathrooms and wifi during the day before our departure.

Also: the coffe at breakfast was REAL and it was strong!!

All in all a great choice for indie travelers on a budget. Cordoba is a great city with not a lot of exciting hotels, this one seems like a great bet if in doubt.

• Stayed November 2012
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were two couples travelling from Iguazu Falls to Mendoza and stopped in Cordoba for two nights. This hotel is very clean, comfortable rooms and centrally located in Nueva Cordoba (like the art district of the city). We stayed from 08 until 10 March.

We found the staff to be very helpful, friendly and with an English speaking front desk.

We called the same day for two double rooms using the Lonely Planet. They reserved the rooms for us. When we arrived, we asked first to see the rooms and they graciously took us to the rooms. One room had a musty and smoky smell to it and the A/C was controlled by the reception desk. The other room had no smell and an individually controlled A/C. We asked for a room that didn't smell and they found us a different room. They were very polite and did not mind at all. They were very willing to accomodate us. We were able to get two, triple rooms (one queen size bed and one twin bed in each room), for the same price as the double. They were very helpful in accomodating our requests and were pleased to have us as their guests.

We asked for some restaurant recommendations and were given a few suggestions that even the hotel staff said they eat there sometimes.

The hotel has no parking, but a parking center around the corner. We left the car there for 2 days and did not need a car in the city. We needed to do laundry and the hotel sends it to a laundry service around the corner. The surprising thing is that the hotel didn't mark-up the laundry service at all. Our friends took their laundry to the same place (around the corner) and they paid the same price, so that is how we know the hotel doesn't mark up the laundry. It was same day service.

The bathroom is very small, as others have commented, but clean and got the job done. I don't need a big bathroom and would rather a more comfortable bed than a big bathroom.

The bed was pristine, quite comfortable, and the bed sheets were of surprisingly high quality. The bed itself felt like one of those Heavenly Beds at a Westin resort. The pillows were great as well.

The room itself is slightly worn, but very quiet (Rooms 153 & 253). These rooms had their own A/C you could control on your own and recommend you ask for a room like that. There was a TV in the room and free wi-fi (quite fast). We didn't use the TV at all and that isn't important to us.

The breakfast was crossaints, breads, cereal and coffee, which is a typical, Argentine breakfast. Coffee was good.

If you are used to fancy, 4 or 5 star hotels, I suggest you find someplace fancier. We did not need fancy and provided all of the basics and meet the requirements of clean, comfortable and centrally located!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first and get a room with individually controlled A/C.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Reasonably modern hotel with rooms on ground and 2 floors. Lift on one side of hotel and new one being installed for remainder. Some rooms a bit stuffy as the 'no smoking' policy in hotels does not apply in Cordoba - only for other public places. Air conditioning works very well and is essential in this city. Rooms average size and bathrooms bit small. In house restaurant is surprisingly good. Breakfast includes real juice and good coffee. All staff very helpful and reception staff speak good English.,

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are very nloisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night as a stopover to somewhere else. The rooms are tiny but clean with flat screen cable TV and a/c albeit the stale cigarette smell (hallways are non smoking but rooms allow for smoking, I was informed by the cleaning staff when I asked about their smoking policy, go figure...). Bathroom was tiny but complete. Breakfast was satisfactory. Overall, ok and good place for the price --just a few blocks away from Cathedral. Good for passing though. They take credit cards which is also a plus.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Hotel Viena? Share your experiences!