“Fantastic For A Day Visit or A Whole Week!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Ranchs, Ranch & Farm
Activities: Horseback riding
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic For A Day Visit or A Whole Week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was invited to this estancia because of my then new job at Class Adventure Travel so I could see the place myself. We offer El Ombu on our tours. I have to say, I understand why our travelers send such fantastic reviews back on this place. The grounds, activities, food and people are all outstanding!

When we got there, we were just in time for the big lunch asado. The tables were set up outside, under a huge old tree. It looked like something out of a storybook or a Pinterest board. Plate after plate after plate kept coming around with lots of meat and delicious sides. Delicious wine accompanied the meal. After we had finished eating, we were treated to a very interesting show. A gaucho (or cowboy) came out with his horse and started the show telling about the history of the gaucho and ended up leading his buddy into what I can old describe as a sort of horse yoga. To show how connected a gaucho must be with his horse, he got it to lie of it's back while he did a head stand on top, among other awesome tricks. It was truly a unique performance.

The building where you stay is a beautiful old estate with that's both regal and charming. I had the pleasure to several different unoccupied rooms as well. Each one has its own unique personality, with great mix of antique and new furnishings so that you get all the modern conveniences with a look from another time. There are such great sitting areas outside in big, stately furniture or cozy rockers.

The grounds made you want to move there. You could choose from a sweet little pool beside the house or a bigger infinity one further away. Also, you could go for horse back rides or choose a carriage, if you like. Huge, old trees around the grounds offered wonderful shade for a quiet afternoon and a beautiful aesthetic effect.

I was already planning my next trip back there before I left. It's such a great addition to a Buenos Aires visit, should you be coming down this way.

Visited September 2012

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
12 attraction reviews
“A beautiful day in the Pampas.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

After a week of the wonderful hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires, my husband and I took a two hour bus ride to San Antonio De Areco, where we grabbed a cab (they're unmarked, but look for them at the side of the bus depot) to Estancia El Ombu. We were greeted by the gracious owner of the ranch, given delicious empanadas, and encouraged to walk around the property before our horse ride.

The grounds are gorgeous. The house and outbuildings are beautiful. It was peaceful, and an oasis of elegance.

We were helped onto the horses (I'm not a rider!) and we had a leisurely ride through the fields with the gauchos. Those who were comfortable on their horses were able to actually gallop away on their own, the horses were well-trained and very accommodating of all levels of expertise. After our ride, we enjoyed what can only be called a marathon of meat and malbec, and then we were serenaded by a gaucho, and treated to an amazing display of "horse-whispering".

We opted to skip our second ride of the day (a lot of sun - bring a hat or sunscreen!) and go into town to see more of it.

This is a beautiful place to visit. I would recommend it to all ages.

You can see some of the "horse-whispering" display here: http://youtu.be/a3SW2Ne7zUU

Moscow, Russia
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was not able to compare with other Estancia's, so I gave mark 4.
It was comfortable trip on car (only 2 of us). I made a 15 min. horse carriage ride instead of horse ride (1997, in Dingle, Ireland I was not able get down from huge horse, after 1 hour riding over the surrounding hills - every bloody part of my body ached - I learned the lesson forever). Service and attention was appropriate. Food was tasty tasty and filling. Old gaucho songs were heartfelt, sad & culturally and ethnically representative. Young gaucho show was amazing - his horse behaved like a home dog, following any of his commands.
General feeling, after visiting Estancia El Ombu de Areco was that it was a day spent not in vain!
By the way, cute, small town of San Antonio de Areca, which is very close to Estancia is kind of "silver town" known for it's history, related to silver and I bought nice highest standard silver neck chain for reasonable price there.
Seems like, there are more silver shops & workshops, than cafes and restaurants.
It's a must for silver lovers to see that beautiful town with old history & architecture.
But, I paid 165 US dollars for that tour, which I booked at Boca Juniors hotel in Buenos Aires, and, up to my mind, it's a bit high price, but, probably if you order that tour directly with Estancia, maybe it will be lower.

Vancouver
12 attraction reviews
“Just as I imagined”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

As the estancias were important to Argentina historically and would provide us with an experience of the pampas, we were determined to include a stay, even a short one, in our recent trip to Argentina. El Ombu was one of two recommended by a travel agent, and proved to be a great choice. Close to Buenos Aires, we travelled there by bus and taxi. El Ombu also arranges transportation by car. It is near chraming San Antonio de Areco which we visited for a couple of hours before returning to BA. The estancia is glorious; hectares of pampas to explore by horse, on foot, by bike. Because it was hot the weekend we were there, we chose to see the estate on the horseback rides and enjoy the two pools and gardens on the property. The old hacienda house has a grand veranda, and our corner room was comfortably decorated with lovely old furniture. Diego, the son of the owner, was a gracious host, explaining the history of the estancia, and the changes made when his family purchased the property in the 1930's. When you stay at the estancia, it's a full board arrangement. Lunch is the highlight - Argentine parilla. Platters of chicken, chorizo, beef and more beef circulated. Salads and wine were at each table. Dessert and coffee followed. If you could manage it, afternoon tea was served between 5 and 6. The estancia, though, remains a working cattle ranch at its core. That was part of why our stay was, as I told Diego, "perfect." El Ombu was exactly what I imagined an estancia in this part of Argentina would be.

Chicago
“Great experience in the countryside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Wasn't sure I wanted to include an estancia in my trip to Buenos Aires, because my sense was that they tended to be mostly touristy cheesiness. This place was a pleasant surprise. Yes, there's a gaucho show, and it's designed to impress the tourists, but it's also pretty amazing and nicely done. The horseback riding was well-led and easy to do (even with no riding experience). The grounds are a nice place for a relaxing walk or just some chill time in the country (you're on a farm that feels far from the city, though the distance is fairly close). The food was great and ample.

Getting there was more of an adventure than expected, because the bus from B.A. broke down for a couple of hours. With some help from other visitors, was able to reach the estancia by phone, and they were very gracious about keeping our place for lunch despite the very late arrival. The taxi is found around the corner from the bus station (which is on the main highway and not in town), and they won't be able to take you all the way to the estancia if it's been rainy, but in that case a 4-wheel drive vehicle will meet you at the intersection where the taxi will drop you off. (Consider it all part of the adventure.)

Didn't spend the night, but that looked like an attractive option.

Visited March 2012