“Lovely antique-style boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rooney's Boutique Hotel

You added Rooney's Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Rooney's Boutique Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sarmiento 1775 | 3rd Floor, Buenos Aires CP1041, Argentina   |
Offers & Announcements
Buenos Aires Short Break
Ranked #72 of 436 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Linköping
“Lovely antique-style boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This hotel is truly lovely. The ceilings are amazingly high and the hotel is decorated with antique furniture. It's located on the third floor in and old apartment, you can just imagine a glamourous, rich, old argentinian lady living there. Also the staff is wonderful and almost everyone speak English very well. There's a great breakfast with youghurt, toast, juice, coffee and argentinian pastry. It's located in the centre, at equal distances to San telmo and Palermo.

I would recommend this hotel to friends or family visiting Buenos Aires!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Rooney's was very much in reality what it said it was online -- charming, stylish, full of character. The furniture and photographs on the walls were reminiscent of an era of elegance in the city that used to be called the Paris of South America. It was also spotlessly clean, with gleaming wooden floors. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I heard at least three languages being spoken -- Spanish, French, English. There may even have been a few words of Irish! I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in something other than the anonymous chain hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

My husband and i had a wonderful 4 night stay at this charming hotel! It's located on the 3rd floor of a residential building. The old style elevator was fun, and having to buzz in to enter the building wasn't an issue for us. Our room was cozy and comfortable, and the continental breakfast was great. Andrea at the front desk was phenomenal ... She always went out of her way to help, even making phone calls and bookings for us. The location was fairly convenient. It was about a 20 minute walk to most tourist areas, but the metro was around the corner. Although the area around the hotel seemed safe, I would recommend walking on Avenida Corrientes rather than Sarmiento as it was much more pleasant. Overall this hotel has a lovely atmosphere and was a great base from which to explore the city.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

If you want a taste of a grand past in an amazing city, this is a peek into it. Rooney's is a family run hotel in an old and original city apartment building. It's small and elegant (7 rooms) very friendly and a welcome antithesis of large hotel chains.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

What a great way to start a holiday in Argentina. It's centrally located, the staff were really helpful and friendly, just loved the character of the place, comfortable rooms and the bonus was a free tango lesson.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Bergen Co., New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed here with my wife and sons (15 & 13) for 3 days on the front end of a 10 day trip to Argentina. Our airport pick-up (arranged through the hotel) went off without a hitch, although the traffic in the city lived up to its reputation on a Friday morning. Since the hotel was not crowded (late in the tourism season), our "family" room was upgraded to two (2) adjoining rooms. The hotel is located on the 4th floor of a largely residential building on a side street. I had no issue with the neighborhood (it was city, but I was never concerned in the immediate area, even at night), next to a mini-mart, a burger counter and across the street from a guitar store. There was a huge steel gate at street level and you have to be buzzed in and out of the building.

Our rooms were down the angular hall from the small lobby, which was reached using an old pocket-sized elevator (the type with the 2 pull-shut type of doors) which my boys thought was awesome. The rooms were old, but certainly functional and while the doors opened with a skeleton key, security was not really an issue, given the small size of the hotel and that the only entrance brings you right to the front desk. In-room safes (which we DID use) were provided. More importantly, powerstrips with built-in converters were also provided...a tremendous convenience. There was also cable TV (which when we turned it on, the first show was "The Simpsons" in Spanish).

The staff was all very pleasant and all spoke English, but it was on the one and only day that we saw the owner, that we were set up. He suggested San Telmo market before the Boca Juniors game on Sunday, a steakhouse for Friday (Chiquilin) and booked our tango show for Saturday (El Querandi), all of which worked out extremely well.

The hotel will change a nominal amount of cash (and they do appreciate payment in dollars - a lot), but we actually changed more money at the mini-mart next door; not quite at the Dolar Blue rate, but at better than the official rate.

Breakfast was included in our stay and it was more of the continental variety and was served in a long, narrow room in the back. Much to their credit, the staff scrambled to put together something for us prior to our 6:30 a.m. airport pick-up on our last day.

This is NOT a luxury hotel and you are not waited on hand-and-foot by any means. As one other reviewer stated, it brings to mind what a 1930s high-tourist class hotel might have been in Buenos Aires. However, it is a very reasonably priced, conveniently located (it is a reasonable walk and/or very reasonable cab ride from practically all of the top tourist areas; we did not brave public transportation) safe hotel which fulfilled our family's needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just in- this travelista home after a wonderful week exploring beautiful Buenos Aires, a city long on my travel radar. I came across Rooney's Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor- a mucho 'muchas gracias', guys!! I was lucky enough to enjoy this gem of a place for six wonderful nights, where it made a most wonderful 'home away from home' in El Centro.

What's not to love?? I secured a great deal ('six nights for the cost of four' promo- how primo!!) including airport transfer to the hotel and a free tango lesson- which became one of my favorite memories of the trip, to my surprise! In the past, I have shied away from anyplace that dubs itself as a 'boutique' establishment- something about the bourgeois impression it leaves on me, I suppose. I almost am inclined to call Rooney's more of a 'pretty plus plus' pension, as it is such a warm and unpretentious place. The staff are a sheer delight, the rooms Belle Epoque beautiful, and the location super duper central- within easy walking distance to three subway lines, and on foot to the heart of the matter as easy as can be.

Initially when I began to plan this trip, I had my heart set on staying in Recoleta. What I wanted more though than to stay in that barrio was to stay in the type of place where I would be reminded what drew me to Buenos Aires in the first place (besides multiple viewings of the Evita movie at an influential age- :) Staying at Rooney's was like stepping into a bygone world, and I found myself time and time again getting lost all over the city doing just that same thing.

Buenos Aires is big, like really big. Having explored this city mostly on foot for a week's time, I cannot tell you how invaluable it is to spend your sightseeing time well by starting out in a central location- some of the most desirable barrios (Recoleta, Palermo, and Puerto Madero) just stink when it comes to easy transit options for tourists, unfortunately. Given that, El Centro, the city center is probably not for every tourist- but then again, neither is the real Buenos Aires.

About the neighborhood: Busy and bustling, especially on weekdays. Traveling as one, I appreciate busier neighborhoods for safety reasons. Noise for me was not much a problem, and I had one of the front-facing balcony rooms. I liked the central location immensely, and found it a great stepping stone for exploring all the major tourist attractions in the city center. Avenida Corrientes, just a short block away, was fun to stroll in the evenings, with its great used bookstores, movie theaters, music shops, and a wonderful string of old timey pizzerias. Love them!!

About the hotel: It's the type of place where you'd love to hang out all day, except then you'd never see the city you came so far to visit! I think that is a good thing!! It's grand without being grandiose, very comfy without being plushly priced, and seriously you would never stay under the care of a nicer group of people. Mr. Rooney is your prototype of quintessential Irish hospitality. Andrea kindly applauded my Spanish vocabulary efforts and offered to walk my postcards many blocks out of her way so that I would not waste that time on my last day in BA. Jerome saved the day by fixing within minutes a transport debacle with my hotel pickup to the airport. Muchas gracias a todos- you guys are tops!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Rooney's Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!