“Beautiful hotel, Fantastic location, Outstanding service - a dream come true!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mine Hotel Boutique

Save Saved
You added Mine Hotel Boutique to your Saves list
Mine Hotel Boutique
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gorriti 4770 | Palermo Soho, Buenos Aires 1414, Argentina (Palermo)   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 440 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Hawaii
“Beautiful hotel, Fantastic location, Outstanding service - a dream come true!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

This is my first experience staying in a boutique hotel, and now I will never go back to those giant corporate hotels! First of all, the location is terrific -- so many outstanding restaurants and nightlife just a few blocks away! And for the ladies, tons of trendy clothing boutiques! Yes, we had to take taxis to see the major sights during the day, but the taxis were cheap, and after we got back, it was nice to be able to rest at the hotel and then leisurely walk to and from the restaurants and bars. Second, the staff were very friendly, spoke excellent english, and were happy to give us recommendations, make reservations, give us directions, call taxis, store our luggage, etc. The waitress at the restaurant was also very wonderful, she accomodated us when we wanted to eat breakfast outside, and made us little shots of fruit smoothies when she had down time. And the hotel itself is visually stunning, with lots of modern but comfortable furnishings and design. It's not large, but makes very efficient use of space with lots of floor to ceiling glass that brings the outdoors in. I'd recommend springing for the upgraded room that includes a jacuzzi tub - so worth it, especially since I'll probably never afford a room with a jacuzzi in the U.S. Our room was spacious, quiet and clean, the bed and pillows were VERY comfy! There were so many small but nice touches -- like the free computer with internet in the lobby area, DVD player with free DVDs available to borrow at the front desk, the soaps in the bathroom that smell like chocolate, free made to order omelettes with the breakfast buffet -- that transformed the experience from excellent to extraordinary! The only sad part was leaving!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

The hotel was wonderful. The staff really made our whole visit better with their great tips and helpful advice. Simply a wonderful experience! Make sure you know your spanish if you are headed to BA, you won't find many people speaking english (except at this hotel).

USA & Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Wonderful location in an up-an-coming part of town. Excellent for walks with dabbling in shopping, bars, restaurants, tango clubs, ice cream parlours, the works.
Staff was extra friendly and knowledgeable of area attractions. Very modern and clean. Excellent and full breakfast. Many "little extras" which I appreciate - personally delivering slippers to the room, a daily-special smoothie shot with breakfast, free internet, daily newspapers in several languages, and more.

Aiea, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I am not a travel writer but here it goes...

Cliff Notes Version: Personal attention, service with a warm inviting smile, caring owner, wheel chair accessible, you will feel like you are leaving family when you check out. I would return tomorrow in a heart beat.

Long Version: Made three separate reservations (two with hotels.com and one on hotel web site) due to side trips to Iguazu and Punta Del Este. I received a prompt confirmation reply to my email inquiring if they had all 3 reservations. Angela, the manager, contacted me to inquire if I needed an airport transfer and whether I needed any reservations for tours or restaurants. I opted for the hotel arranged airport transfer ($42US) since I knew I would be beat after two over night flights from Hawaii. Angela also booked Friendly Tours “City Tour” for my first afternoon and made a dinner reservation at La Cabrera for Sat night. Angela always replied promptly and filled all of my requests for information. The owner, Marcelo Kohen contacted me when he discovered I was visiting Punta. Punta is a favorite vacation destination for him dating back to his childhood and he was excited to offer his area knowledge.

I was greeted with a sign at he airport and quickly set off for the hotel. I arrived at the hotel at 930am, stored my bags, and left my passport in the hotel safe until my room was ready. The Mine also stored my bags and passport after my last check out since my flight back to the US was at 915pm. This allowed me to continue enjoying BA for one last day.

The front desk provided me with multiple maps of BA so I took a quick walk around Palermo Soho to get a lay of the land. The front desk, maids, and restaurant/bar staff were great. They always had a smile and fulfilled every request, whether it was a taxi (they would walk out to the cab to make sure the driver understood my destination), milanesa fix recommendations (thanks Nadia), storing bags (Mine will store your bags during any side trips and the bags will be waiting in your room upon your return), restaurant reservations and a short notice reservation for Sunday night at Thelonious Jazz Club. To give you an idea about the personal attention... Marcelo spent a half hour with me sharing his knowledge of Punta Del Este to include printing out a "best of" list and providing me with current magazines. He made a job interviewee wait while he talked with me. How many hotel owners can you say that about! The chicas in the restaruant/bar, especially Victoria, were a delight. She brightened mornings and evenings with her big smile and good morning or good evening. She speaks fluent english but will help you with your spanish. She made a point of remembering guests names, favorite beverage, and room numbers even though I provided a challenge with multiple visits and changing rooms. She is studying hospitality at the local university and is well on her way to a promising career path. I expect to see her managing a hotel in the future.

When I returned at 1100 my room was ready. I stayed in two different “Classic” rooms during my three stays. The first room was 106, a wheel chair accessible room. The shower was “roll-in, roll-out” and the toilet had handrails. The hotel entrance is also ramped for wheel chair accessibility. I didn’t need that kind of accessability but it was nice to note since most of BA is not wheel chair friendly. Room 106 over looked a fountain area and was done with a yellow theme. Each room is different. My second room, 203 over looked the pool and had a purple theme. Both rooms had safes, mini bars, and TV/DVD combo. I never turned the TV on in 6 days. I was way too busy having fun. If you are looking for a large plasma TV in the room with pay movies, this isn’t your place.

The bathrooms had showers with big bottles of shampoo and bath gel. The sinks were free standing (think HGTV bath design) and room 203 had a bidet. This made the 203 bathroom a little more cramped but still functional. The closet in 106 was a little bigger but both sufficed. All of the floors in the hotel are concrete so you will hear people walking or dragging suitcases but I never had a problem sleeping even without ear plugs. The beds were very comfy and big enough for me at 6'4". The rooms are not big but I didn’t spend much time in the room. There is so much to see and do in BA. The a/c worked well in both rooms. Just remember you need a room card in the slot to activate the lights and a/c. The pool area is a nice repose from the concrete jungle of BA. Don’t expect to swim laps but big enough to cool off. The hotel was adding some wooden walk paths to eliminate the muddy wet grass issue. The pool area included a conversational area and this was the only spot in BA I was able to view stars in the sky above. The included breakfast had cold items such as cereal, fruit, medialunas, breads, dulce de leche, pancakes, fruit, and juices. Coffee and tea were also available. You can also ask for an omelette or scrambled eggs with potatoes. The portena waitresses will also bring a smoothie shot of the day to your table. Free internet computer near the bar for news, searching Trip Advisor Forums, and email. Wi-Fi available in the bar area also.

I would definitely return to the Mine Hotel. The mere intimacy of 20 rooms brings guests together to share experiences. Pointing out how to type the @ symbol on the spanish styled computer keyboard was a daily opportunity to help fellow guests and start conversations. I admit it took me about 5 minutes the first day to figure it out. Use the “alt“ (not shift) and “2" key together. It felt like leaving family when I checked out, especially when Marcelo presented me with a Tango Chill Sessions CD to tide me over before my next visit to BA.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

My mother and I just returned from a lengthy trip and stayed 6 nights at the Mine Hotel on our first foray to Argentina.
Having travelled extensively and stayed in both boutique and large (5*) hotels, I must compliment the staff on their fabulous attitude and outstanding knowledge of the area and city. Every staff member could answer our questions and everyone who worked at the hotel was friendly and amazingly helpful. (and there are always a few at the front desk to assist - unlike some other boutique hotels with one person doing everything at the front including answering the phone!)
From the restaurant recommendations to the organising taxis and giving them instructions in Spanish to a staff member actually recommending a local hotel and assisting us by wheeling our luggage around the corner to the hotel when they could not accommodate us as they were full on our return to BA (we hadn't prebooked!), I can honestly say they were the best I have come across ANYWHERE!!
The hotel is clean, in a superb funky location as far as safety, shopping, restaurants and night life and a taxi ride to every city location we visited was less than $10. Breakfast was casual and adequate and as mentioned by another guest the only thing missing was an English language news station.
Well done Mine Hotel - whatever you are doing in training and hiring your staff you are doing an outstanding job!!!
I would certainly return on my next vist and recommend you highly!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Marcelodemine, Owner at Mine Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, March 20, 2009
Thanks for your nice words.
As other guests mentioned, we don't have news channels in english (BBC or CNN).
Although we would love to have them, the problem is that the company that provides the cable channels within Buenos Aires Capital (Cablevision S.A.) has stop supplying them a couple of years ago.
In other parts of the country, the local cable supplier do have BBC and/or CNN, but not in our city.
Hope to see you at Mine in a near future (and hopefully, with news channels in english !)
Provincetown MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

We had two very enjoyable stays at the Mine in FEB and MAR both at the start and the end of our trip to Argentina and we would definately recommend the property. The highlights were the great staff which went out of their way, the decor which was just what we like, the pool, though small, was great to plunge into after a hot day in the city , and the location in Palermo Soho which is a wonderful neighborhood filled with shops and restaurants though a good 15 minute walk to the subway which we used to exploire Buenos Aires. The hotel is immaculate and there is free internet service available in the lobby. We had a Palermo Suite on both occasions and the suite is lovely but is really only the size of a normal hotel room. It had a very comfortable king bed, a loveseat and a chair and table, flat screen TV and a large bathroom with a whirlpool tub. Unlike other reviews we found it very quiet and heard no other noise. Other rooms much be pretty small in the hotel if this is their suite. There was no english language news available on the TV which was highly annoying as all our other hotels around Argentina either had BBC or CNN or both in english. Breakfast was adequate but not special and we had better breakfasts elsewhere on our trip. While we were there last week they were replacing sod around the pool which was a good idea as it was a bit muddy before. One hot day after touring the city I went down to the pool for a dip and was looking forward to a gin and tonic but they had no tonic! That was a bit of a dissapointment but overall we did really enjoy the Mine and would stay again.

Monterey, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

Our flight from Calafate got us to the hotel after 1 am where the four of us were greeted warmly by the gracious, English speaking staff at reception. We had been concerned that only a night porter would be on duty in a small hotel at that hour. Breakfast runs generously until 11 am. Excellent recommendations on restaurants and places to visit to accommodate both hot and rainy days. Pristine accommodations and definitely service with a smile. Yes, it is a taxi ride from downtown, but not an expensive one, and we did walk to the great park and Japanese Garden and would have walked to museums had it not been raining heavily.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Mine Hotel Boutique? Share your experiences!