“Friendly atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 249 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Istanbul
“Friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

Maria tango house is very nice,cosy and friendly place especialy if you are a solo traveler in Bs.As.All staff are very helpfull,trying to make you relax and comfort;and they always take care of your requests..So,if you want to feel at home,it's the right place!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

i had my first solo trip to BA in 2008 and stayed here, and it showed I was rather naive. I exchanged many emails beforehand and built what I thought to be was an honest travellers relationship with the owner of my lodging. There were many great things about staying here, the staff were wonderful and I became very close with them, but the owners were more about making the money. Don't get me wrong, I realise it is a business, but when I found that the person who rented my room before me was paying 50% less I was astonished. Especially seeing I had booked for one month and told I would get a very special deal. hmmm... There was also the tango "lesson" with the friend on the first day. Cost = 100pesos. The friend turned out to be the driver...I paid less than that for professional lessons. Tota is beautiful, and Steffie was fantastic with her guidance and company, & Dani was really amazingly helpful in more ways than you would expect. But, I wouldnt stay here again. Needless to say, I know so much more now for planning my next trip!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Fedeflip, Propietario at La Casa de Maria Tango, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
We are sorry to hear you experience was so bad here. We know there is a problem with rates, because we have a price, the one you paid, and sometimes travelers ask for a discount, saying that they are traveling with a low budget, and it´s hard to say no all the time, and when we reduce the price for someone, the others fell it´s unfair, We also think it´s unfair and so we are trying to equal the prices and explain to all travelers this situation.
Also, sometimes we do a special price for the frequent guest,
We are not sure about who was the one you sayd that have paid much less than you
warm regards
Federico
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

In July 2007, I stayed with my husband in Maria Teresa’s tangohouse for three weeks. We enjoyed it very much, for its genuine atmosphere, its wonderful staff and the cross-cultural experience of meeting tango-dancers from different parts of the world.

The tango-house itself is located in one of the old “conventillos”, that is the old style housing which were built for the large number of immigrants that arrived hundreds of years ago. In these conventillos, large houses inhabitted by several families, a number of families used to share a kitchen and a bathroom. However, the interiors are now remodelled, so that every room has its own private bath. There is also a room for dancing, with the original wooden floor. The remodelling of the house is carefully done, so that the remnants of days gone bye have been preserved to the present.

Besides from the kick you might get out of sensing “the wings of history”, there is also the excitement in meeting the other guests , who come from all corners of the world to stay for a longer or shorter period in Buenos Aires to learn tango-dancing. The kitchen is the central meeting-place for the guests as well as the dancing-room, where small parties sometimes are arranged. A great part of the fun with living in Maria Teresa’s tangohouse is the family-feeling which grows out of the informal meetings with the other guests.

However, we especially appreciated Maria Teresa herself and her very helpful staff, who helped us with many things like lost luggage, ticket reservations for journeys all around Argentina, finding the right places for shopping of odd things, among other things. Maria’s staff, beside from speaking English, French, German, Spanish, are natives or very well acquainted to the Buenos Aires area. They are also into tangodancing and the tango-community of Buenos Aires. Therefore, they will be able to help you find the tango-teachers, the tango-musicians, tango-dancers as well as other tango-aspects you are looking for.

Consequently, if you come for the first time to Buenos Aires and for tango-dancing, Maria
Teresa’s tango-house is a very good place to stay at. Maria Teresa and her staff will welcome you with open hearts and continue to care for you in a genuine and warm way during your stay . They will also be able to guide you to what you want and to where you want to go in the tango-world of Buenos Aires. And last, but not least, you will also meet people from other corners of the world who might tell you their stories of far away tango-communities.

Åsa Teglund
Stockholm, Sweden

Stayed July 2007
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

It was my first trip to Buenos Aires, and the reason was tango. I liked this tango house, and it was well-located. Staff members were friendly and most helpful, and they spoke English. In the beginning they escort their guests to milongas, and they offered all sorts of non-tango excursions in the city. They helped me to get oriented, goegraphically as well as in the way of life in Buenos Aires.

I highly recommend La Casa de Maria Tango.

John Sanders
Vancouver
Canada

Stayed April 2007
tangoella
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Casa de Maria Tango introduced me to the wonderful life of Buenos Aires - the dance of Tango - the arts - the theatres - the music. a most enjoyable mix of casual friendly staff that either hold your hand and take you around BA or give you local advice and let you explore. Tango Classes available on site. If it is your first time take the complete door to door service when you arrive, going to Milongas or visiting down town it is worth it.

Beautiful terrace, bohemian style living at its best. Enjoy the other guest and meet people from all over the world while you enjoy wine on the terrace under the moon.

Changed my life

Stayed November 2006
Izmir
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

It was my first time in Buenos Aires and I am a tango dancer from a different culture,Turkey.Therefore, first of all, I was timid and nedded some privacy. The room I stayed in was at the top floor near a luminous terrace with a nice comfort of privacy since the other rooms were all downstairs.. When I stayed at home, I could take advantage of the terrace during the day and night, read, write, use internet, eat dinners with friends,sunbathe and wash clothes and dry them as if I was all alone in the tall building.Due to the steps, people didn't have the chance to pop into my room frequently and it was easy to hear the footsteps climbing up as a door bell.Also, with my private bathroom, toilet inside and mini balcony infront of my door besides the spacious terrace I had a bigger space on that floor as if it was a one-bedroom apartment. The last but not the least were the friendly people.Sweet and helpful housekeeper, Tota, was a great friend and helper despite the language gap.Warm and efficient secretary, Ute, was ready to sort out all kinds of problems swiftly.The owner, Maria Theresa was so hospitable that she had a small bookcase and a table made for me as soon as I told her the necessity.She took me to milongas, tours around the city, introduced me milongueros and her friends, arranged some activities to make me feel comfortable and integrate the society.Her son, Frederico, helped me with all the techical problems such as internet connections, telephones, and upon my request, he was the security while I was all alone at home some nights.It was like living with a family.I stayed with them for about 2 months with pleasure and recommend the place for those who seek the similar features as a complete foreigner like me.
Nedret Celebi

• Liked — people of the house, nearby tango salons, terrace of the house
  • Disliked — cleanliness, dance floor of the practise room, furniture of the terrace and the lobby,no telephone in the room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

I stayed at Maria Tango house in March of 2007 for 10 days. It was my second trip to BAs. I enjoyed the program she provides for her guests, including tango yoga, private classes and escorted visits to local milongas. The accomodations are rough however and while I was there the noise level was high because of construction. There are local grocery stores and you can make your own food in the communal kitchen

For a single person, this is a great option because you learn about the milonga culture and have ready made companions. I know of many dancers from abroad who never get a dance at the milongas. Maria Thereasa will make sure you dance and have fun! Which is the point no?

Joan Roberts
Toronto

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Casa de Maria Tango? Share your experiences!