“As excelent as everybody told me!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tomo I

Tomo I
Carlos Pellegrini, 521 | Entrepiso Torre Sur / Mezzanine Floor South Tower, Buenos Aires, Argentina
54-11-4326-6698
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #84 of 2,560 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The style of our cuisine can be characterised as “porteña gourmet”, even though there is no formal school of cuisine with that name. “Porteño” is the word we use in Spanish to refer to the inhabitants of the City of Buenos Aires. Nevertheless, the concept “porteño gourmet”, is a little tricky, specially for those who believe that something belongs to a tradition only if it has been actually created – as opposed to adapted - by its inhabitants, as if the French had invented cheese and steak aux frites, or the Spanish tortillas; or, indeed, as if it were possible to find steak aux frites, cheese and tortillas in Argentina prepared in exactly the same way as they are in any of those countries To fully grasp the concept of “porteño gourmet”, it might be a good idea to take a look out of a window in Buenos Aires. What do you see? Renaissance-style palazzos and almighty skyscrapers? Parisian hotels? Precarious ranchos and the country houses of the great estancias? Nothing of the kind! Buenos Aires is a city whose architecture has been influenced by many different styles which combine in a wholly unique way. Its identity lies both in the combination of traditions and in the way these traditions have been adapted. Some people call that style “chaos”; to us it is just Buenos Aires. At Tomo 1, we are engaged in exploring our traditions in ways that reflect our own habits and our own tastes, because, after all we are both porteños and gourmets.
Sao Paulo, SP
“As excelent as everybody told me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

A perfect place, with a perfect service having the best Duck Confit
I´ve ever tried! Loved it!!!

Visited March 2012

Brisbane, Australia
“When you have had enough steak...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Argentina is known for great steak, I have no argument with that, however if you are not argentine, there comes a point when you want something different and with some flavour. Tomo 1 is a great little restaurant serving a variety of dishes with great service. It is a little expensive by a argentine standards, but still reasonable when compared to good restaurants in the western world.

I had a beautiful prawn, prosciutto and mango salad followed by an asian inspired lamb loin which was cooked to perfection. The servings were on the small side, but plenty for both myself and my partner. The upside was we were able to share a dessert, a course we never get to in Argentinian restaurants.

I recommend you go and try this out it was great.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ucieda & Washington
“Still going strong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Impressive food quality maintained through my visits over the last few years. Value used to be spectacular--less so now but it is a macroeconomic issue you cannot blame the restaurant for.

Visited November 2011
WDC
“Truly Fine Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Not inexpensive, though they do offer a fixed -price lunch, Toma 1 is an elegant, excellent restaurant for discerning diners. It would remind you of a French restaurant - interesting menu, small, elegantly prepared and delicious dishes. Classy waiters. Wonderful wine list. Oh my, very much worth the $$$.

Dallas, Texas
“Good food and service, the room is not special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

After hearing reviews we had reservations at this restaurant. The food was very good and the service was excellent. However, the view and the room are average. It is NOT a place for small children and we had one table with their children which was distracting. Also, it is a place to dress "smart casual" and one table had on jeans/t-shirts, which I found inappropriate. Overall a nice dinner, but not the best one we had in Argentina.

• Visited December 2011