“A great way to enjoy BsAs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PuroBaires Hotel Boutique

You added PuroBaires Hotel Boutique to your Saves list
PuroBaires Hotel Boutique
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Niceto Vega 4788, Buenos Aires 1414, Argentina (Palermo)   |
Ranked #55 of 445 Hotels in Buenos Aires
philadelphia, pa
“A great way to enjoy BsAs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Purobaires on our third trip to BsAs. Having spent the previous two trips at "major hotels" like the Park Hyatt, we opted for a change of scenery. I knew Palermo was the place to enjoy the best food and nightlife in the city.

The hotel itself is fine. Hotel staff are knowledgeable and service-oriented like you would find at a top hotel chain. Nothing incredibly special about the hotel design but no real negatives either. The rooms are average size - we had a deluxe with Jacuzzi. Bathrooms are nice but small and the beds are very comfortable. The hotel is fairly new and clean with a focus on guest safety and comfort.

As others have said, location is key and that's what Purobaires offers. I opted for Purobaires because Home Hotel was sold out. Frankly, the location of Purobaires is better. Anything you need including markets, clubs, pharmacies, gourmet restaurants, boutique shopping, pizza joints, etc. are within a four block walk.

The hotel arranged a couples massage for us and it was fantastic - highly recommend it. Also suggest dinner at Cluny and Bar Uriarte. You can spend a week here and never have a bad meal. Also worth cehcking out the bars and restaurants in Las Canitas which is a short cab ride away.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

The last review is almost eerie--virtually the same thing happened to me and i have virtually the same remarks about Puro Baires. Bottom line, its the staff that distinguishes the hotel. Not to say it is not a nice place (it is), but the efforts of the staff are extraordinary. We arrived and stayed weekend of november 21st, and the staff was wonderful in recommending restaurants, contacting our next hotel to confirm the rez, arranging transportation, suggesting places to see in BA, etc. When my girlfriend lost her bankcard they helped in finding the Citibank phone # to call and let her use the front desk phone to cancel. Even bigger--due to a LAN airlines snafu we ended up stuck in BA on Thursday Nov. 27th. The hotel was full that night and they had no obligation to help us, as there was nothing in it for them. But they stayed in constant email contact with us while we were down in El Calafate, provided options for hotel stays on the 27th, secured the reservations, and even secured a dinner reservation for us that night in Recoleta. They had to do nothing, and they did everything. And there was nothing in it for them money-wise.
As to the location, Palermo Soho is a great area, and they are a few minutes walk from many cool bars and restaurants. Those who live in New York city will find it greatly resembles the West Village(even with the name Palermo Soho).
As to the rooms, they are definitely modern. that has mostly good aspects (i.e. the flat screen TV), though some may be thrown by the non-traditional features (i.e. sink outside of the bathroom, etc).
When you visit a foreign country it often takes a day to get your bearings, figure things out, get in the flow, etc. Puro Baires greatly facilitated that process and made us feel welcome from the first minute. I've stayed in many places in many countries and i could count on one hand the number of places i thought that matched the quality of the staff. Large hotels servicing large numbers of guest could not give the attention PB does, even if they wanted to.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I've been relying on the reviews on Trip Advisor to help me gauge where I want to stay in any given locale for a few years now. But it wasn't until my stay at the Puro Baires that I felt that I absolutely had to contribute by own review.

Unless something goes drastically wrong in the future, do not consider staying anywhere else in BA. I consider myself a frequent user of high-end and boutique hotels for both business and pleasure and this was my best stay ever. Everything, and I do mean everything, went perfectly.

It's the staff that makes the difference at Puro Baires.... the front desk staff accommodate your every desire and need. (Particularly when traveling in a foreign county, there are always 1,000 things you bother the front staff with.) In fact, when I ended up staying in BA an extra night and the hotel was unfortunately full, without me asking them to, they set about finding me the best alternative in town for my last night. Their personal warmth and level of service during my entire stay was of the highest calibre. I left BA feeling that I'd never been treated so well at a hotel.

The breakfasts were delicious--try the fresh eggs and cafe con leche. The hotel itself is perhaps a little boring in its aesthetic, but it's immaculately clean and quietly stylish (think clean lines, understated design). The rooms seem soundproof, the beds are very comfortable, and the linens/towels/robes are very nice. Wifi, gym, etc. all good. It was too chilly to try the pool, but it was quite cute. I think I stayed in the best room in the place--the suite with the balcony facing the street. Its worth the extra money.

And just a quick note about the housekeeping staff--they're completely invisible and work around your schedule. One day I left the room ungodly early in the morning for coffee and when I returned just a little while later the room was made up. The next day I slept super late, and then stayed in the room until evening. I stepped out for just an hour and when I returned the room had been cleaned. It was as if someone kept an eye on my schedule and only sent someone up to clean the room when I was ready for it--no rude knocks on the door every 20 minutes in the morning to wake me up. And I never heard them do their work cleaning up other rooms. I didn't realize how much that kind of disturbance bothered me until I was spoiled at Puro Baires and realized how special it was not to be bothered in such a way.

I'm sure others have commented on the perfect location so I won't bother except to say that while I dined all over the city, my favorite bars and restaurants actually ended up being within walking distance of the hotel.

It's hard to describe why I feel so strongly about Puro Baires. I stayed there for several days and when I'd come back after a long day/evening of walking, shopping, eating, and tango dancing, I'd head back into the clean, quiet oasis that is Puro Baires and wonder what I'd done to deserve such a good life.

• Liked — the staff; the quiet clean atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

We were very disatisfied with our experience at the Purobaires Boutique Hotel, although we never actually saw a room. We arrived to be informed that the hotel did not have space for us, due to damage done by the previous guest to the reserved room assigned to us. The manager was quite apologetic and informed us that she had made a reservation at the same rate for us at a nearby boutique hotel of "equal quality"; to Purobaries, a few blocks away. She even offered to drive us over. However, upon arriving at the alternative hotel, Synergy Boutique Hotel, we found it to be far less comparable in either value or "quality" as Purobaires. Synergy was charging us at the Purobaires rate, although their normal room charge was significantly less. We ultimately sought out our own accomodations and did not take the alternative offered by Purobaires. Either the Purobaires staff was not aware of the quality of the other hotel or simply wanted to get us "out of their hair." This was unacceptable. Although we cannot comment on Purobaires' rooms, the experience was enough for us to deter others not to make a reservation there. We had a wonderful experience at Mine Boutique Hotel and would highly recommend their accomodations.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

Previous reviews have summed up the property and location details accurately...

My partner and I visited Buenos Aires and Purobaires 10/18 - 10/28/2008. To start our stay off on a great note, we were upgraded to a deluxe room because of our relatively long stay. Here is an excerpt from the email that I sent -- which I've never done before -- in response to Purobaires' E-Thank You card to us:

"Dean and I want to thank YOU for a great stay in Buenos Aires. It was our first trip (but not our last) and you all made us feel comfortable and welcome. Furthermore, your hotel is beautiful and in a perfect location. We appreciated the way everyone happily anticipated and took care of our needs, even when we didn't ask for anything specific. A few examples:

--After we spoke briefly with Jessica about possibly visiting Iguazu, we came back later that day to find her with travel information and your offer for a complimentary night as we planned to keep the room while we traveled. (We enjoyed BsAs too much to leave and decided to save Iguazu for next time.)

--When we mentioned that our flight home was very late at night, Juan offered us the use of gym shower that evening and you let us have a generously late check-out.

--When we didn't have small change for a cab driver late one night, Massar lent us ten pesos.

--When we arrived from the airport, Damian met us at the car and carried in our luggage.

--Federico made us delicious scrambled eggs almost everyday (when we woke up in time for breakfast) and was happy to do it.
I could go on an on, but Dean summed it up very well when he said that he feels like he has friends now in Buenos Aires.

We've stayed in a lot of hotels, and yours gave us the friendliest, most sincere treatment that we've ever received. --Kenny & Dean in Orange County, CA"

That tells the story. If you prefer boutique hotels over corporate luxury chains, and location, value, style, quiet and hospitality are your priorities, you'll enjoy Purobaires.

• Liked — Staff, location, style.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Jackson Hole, WY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

We were lucky to stay at PuroBaires for 2 of our 9 nights in Buenos Aires in The Baires Suite. Lovely suite with huge windows and a spacious bathroom. The hotel is new and spotless. Breakfast is presented nicely and included. A rooftop
deck with a small pool area is a wonderful place to enjoy some
quite time. An excellent choice with a wonderfully helpful and
friendly staff.

• Liked — New, Spotless, Staff and Location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

It takes a lot for us to give a hotel a 5. This hotel earned it.

Puro Baires (also listed as PuroBaires under which I'll post an identical review so no one misses out on this) was our first choice for BA. While other "boutique" hotels suggested also looked good on their respectively websites, we chose Puro Baires mainly because it didn't have an over abundance of rave reviews like other hotels in Palermo Soho. All those did was make us question their validilty. Unlike another hotel top rated new hotel we tried just to experience something different despite many positive and some negative reviews, Puro Baires delivered exactly what they promised on their website so we got exactly what we were looking for in a hotel. In fact, we couldn't sleep at Miravida Soho so after 1 night, we headed straight back to PuroBaires; thankfully, they had 2 rooms left! We even got upgraded to a bigger room with a better view. We couldn't ask for a better welcome back. And with the 10% cash discount, it didn't cost more than our loft room 5 at the other hotel. But the quality was night and day.

I was surpised to find the hotel smelled like a fresh garden when we arrived - such nice touch...aaah!! The bed was super comfy so we were able to fall into a quick nap right away after early check-in around 11AM. The windows are double-glazed and they have darkening drapes so the room was peaceful, quiet, and dark at noon to allow for a restful siesta. The linens were of exceptional quality. It is the ONLY hotel in all of Argentina that had the notion to provide washcloths. The robes and slippers were welcomed cozy little comforts provided. The shower pressure was strong and water temp consistent. You can tell that the owners did not cut corners when building and decorating this place. If all hotels owners had such a conscience, we wouldn't have to look so hard to a truly good place to stay in other cities. For this price range, you will not find better in all of BA.

And the pictures of the breakfast they have online - they're actually what the breakfast looked like. Plenty of delicious pastries, ham, cheese, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice...the only small disappointment was the coffee. Please understand that it's probably that we're pickier than most because we have a selection of great coffee stops in our neighborhood - and none that we go to are part of a chain. But it's okay, it got us to drink Mate or tea and gave us a reason to try cafes midday. Anyway, most days I was too full to try all the different pastries offered.

While Palermo Soho didn't wow us upon arrival to the area, we later found out that if you just walk along Armenia (the x-street of the hotel) it is lined with restaurants, shops, bars, bakeries, etc. Same goes for the other x-street - Malabia. The first night, we went to REENCUENTRO 2 short blocks away on Armenia for a parilla and had a great dinner for about $11US per person. Fresh great salad so we don't know why people complained about not finding good vegetarian food in Argentina. You don't have to order meat. Now Spain, that's another story....We went there again on our second stay to try their pasta that we were too full to eat the first time, and were disappointed. Maybe the plain egg pasta would have been better....

And last but not least, every single person at this hotel is the kindest professional you can come across. Jessica was especially a gem we got the most help from in the afternoons and evenings. Damien was also great earlier in the day.The front desk staff spoke perfect English in addition to Spanish so they were able to answer every question we had. But unlike other hotels, this hotel had Spanish-speaking guests as well, and not just North Americans or Brits. It was so gracious of the breakfast staff twho ried to talk to us in English when they realized our Spanish was a bit rusty. The maids were so quiet, they seemed invisible. We didn't hear a peep from them - the hotel definitely has addressed this issue brought up by previous customers. They just came in to our rooms when we were out and left it spic and span.

This is the only hotel in all of Argentina that lived up to and exceeded our expectations.
We would stay there a third time in a half a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2008