“I could live in that room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moreno Hotel Buenos Aires

Save Saved
You added Moreno Hotel Buenos Aires to your Saves list
Moreno Hotel Buenos Aires
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moreno 376 | Montserrat, Buenos Aires C1091AAH, Argentina (El Centro)   |
Ranked #48 of 440 Hotels in Buenos Aires
LONDON
“I could live in that room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was such a joy. Wonderful renovation of big old building. Great big wrought-iron lifts going up through the centre. My room was the size of a large studio flat with high ceilings and a hip/urban/minimalist joy. Beautifully done with high quality finishes. Loved the bathroom and especially the large walk-in shower with wonderful water pressure. I had a first floor room at the front of building so some low level noise at times but not really a problem. This hotel really is a pleasure to stay in. Got a good deal on-line so only paid about £60 per night.

The reception area is very unusual and I thought it was lovely although Lonely Planet was a little snippy about it....
The breakfasts are standard Argentinian fare and one of the only areas that I thought the hotel could improve on. Also a nice rooftop terrace. A separate terrace with a hot-tub was out of action while I was there.

It's a shame that the hotel isn't closer to the centre of St Telmo. But only a 10/15 minute walk to main Dorrego square which is great early evening for a drink and to watch the tango. Also lots of side roads on the way which are full of bars and restaurants.

Although there is a restaurant below the hotel, it is fairly formal and fine dining.

The hotel service is excellent. Had lots of help with booking a ferry to Uruquay. They even offered to have the electronic ticket sent to them so they could print it easily for me. Later, after leaving the hotel, I managed to lose my return ticket. On emailing the reception staff, they had replied and provided me with another copy within fifteen minutes.

Would definitely return. And would recommend for a weekend stay -- the Sunday market runs from a few yards away into the central Dorrego square.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

It doesn't look much from the outside but our rom was very huge and very comfortable. Helpful reception, reasonable breakfasts on the top floor and amazing old lifts with manual gates. The only slight problem was some noise from the lifts at night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Wonderful place in 5min walking distance of San Telmo and Playa de Mayo
Fabulous roof terrace for breakfast (hint: Restaurant on ground floor will serve red wine there in the evening)
Very spacious rooms of 43+ sq mtrs. Loved the vintage deco style of lift and hallways.
Staff was most helpful, friendly and welcoming throughout our stay.

Slight downside:
- our bathroom door did not close.
- lift is a little noisy so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper

Paid around 90,-EUR/115,-USD per night - great value!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

From the outside, the Moreno does not look like a hotel - just an entrance-way in a block of brick buildings. The turquoise-tiled hallway leads to a quaint wire cage elevator and desk for the doorman. There are beautiful stained-glass windows lining the staircase. The lobby is on the second floor. Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted. The front office staff spoke good English. When we arrived in the early afternoon, our room was not yet ready but they were happy to store our luggage while we went out for a cup of tea. The Moreno Hotel is located within walking distance of Calle Florida where the shopping is and close to near-by restaurants. We felt safe walking on Defensa Street, even at night because it was so well-lit.

Our room was very large with a high ceiling, king-sized bed and interesting decor. Our room was located away from the noise of the street and was very quiet. We had a good internet connection. The wash-basin sits on a counter and it was difficult to keep from splashing the mirror, floor and surrounding counters with water. The bathroom had a toilet, bidet and shower. The shower had only a 1/2 glass wall which allowed water to soak the floor when showering. There was lots of storage space in the closet and dresser. We had a small kitchen sink and fridge. The bed was comfortable and had high quality linens.

We discovered in our travels that hotels in South America generally do not provide Kleenex, alarm clocks, washcloths or coffee makers. We mentioned this in our evaluation. Upon our return to the hotel after several days in Iguazu Falls, we found an alarm clock in our new room! When we phoned the front desk to report that our air-conditioner did not seem to be working, a person came to the door within minutes and fixed it. We emailed the hotel from Iguazu Falls to arrange for a tango show and the arrangements were all made by the time we returned to the hotel later that day. Staff at the desk were good about giving directions to nearby attractions. They loaned us an electrical adaptor to use during our stay.

Breakfast was fairly basic but adequate. We enjoyed the nice bright breakfast area and views of the city.

We ate at Aldo's on our first night. The food was good. There was a nice atmosphere with a small jazz ensemble playing music. We were so tired from our over-night flight and walking tour of Buenos Aires, that it is difficult to rate our experience here.

Room Tip: Chose a room away from the street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I happy to encounter a renovated hotel, with that old feeling.
Staff was very helpful in guiding you to the historical area, where to eat, etc.
Breakfast was great.
Security was good.
Location is awesome.

• Stayed July 2012
Den Haag
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

The Moreno hotel is beautifull on the website but in real complete different! No coffeemaker in the room, no badrobes and slippers. OK if you ask, you wil get it but it had nothing to do with service! A lot of leaking in the rooms and mould in the bathroom! Just a bad hotel!

• Stayed March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

When I entered the Moreno Hotel, I thought I had found my dream lodging: an exquisite art deco building with period cage elevators, beautiful stained glass in the stairwells, huge high-ceiling rooms and a convenient location just a few blocks from Plaza de Mayo. However, by the first evening of my 3-day stay, my opinion changed.

I booked the higher-priced Loft room specifically because of its whirlpool bath. I squeezed in this business trip just before having knee-replacement surgery, so I thought having reliable hydrotherapy during my stay in Buenos Aires would make my stay less painful. After being dazzled by my large room (#41), I soon noticed that the large whirlpool bath was missing one of its faucet handles. Furthermore, when I turned the remaining handle only the slightest trickle of water came from the faucet. So I went down to the first floor lobby and reported the problem.

Within minutes, a gentleman appeared at my door to examine the bathtub. He concluded that something was wrong and said that it would be repaired quickly. When I returned from dinner that evening, ready for my whirlpool bath, nothing had changed. So I went back to the front desk, where I was told that it would be repaired in the morning, and I should let the desk know when I was going out for the day, which I did. I was also assured that I would get a partial refund for the first night. Still, by the next evening nothing had changed. The bottom line is that nothing was repaired and no refund was granted. Adding insult to injury, when I checked out the desk clerk still insisted I pay for the bottled water from the mini-bar.

Now let me detail the other issues. It appears that the building was renovated in the 80s, and wear is beginning to show--noticeable nicks on the furniture and walls, reading lamps that appear to have been broken off from the bed's headboard, etc. Most annoying was the fact that there is no lighting on one half of the enormous room... and the side that includes the sofa and thermostat--so unless you travel with a torch, you will not be able to read on the sofa or adjust the heating/cooling in the evenings (assuming you can figure out how to adjust the thermostat at all).

If you are a light sleeper you will be awakened by the constant rattle of the elevator and it's metal doors that are just outside the room, as well as by the late-night comings and goings of other guests. On a positive note, there is a very nice top-floor breakfast room with views of the city and an adequate assortment of breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt and juices. The only problem is that the elevator does not reach the top floor, so for people with leg injuries like me, it means climbing a steep flight of stairs. Also, Aldo's, the Italian restaurant on the ground floor, is very good.

I travel internationally a great deal for work and pleasure (as my Trip Advisor reviews attest), and this is one of the worst service experiences I've had in years. I will be returning to BA later in the year, but I won't be staying at the Moreno.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and one where you can actually use the bath!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Moreno Hotel Buenos Aires? Share your experiences!