“After 5 stays, still - top top top !!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Cayetana

You added Hotel La Cayetana to your Saves list
Hotel La Cayetana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mexico 1330 | Montserrat, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Montserrat)   |
Ranked #215 of 441 Hotels in Buenos Aires
St. Gallen, Switzerland
“After 5 stays, still - top top top !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

This hotel is full of charm, nice people, very relaxing, great atmosphere, central location. Delicious breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice. Very nice and clean rooms (we always stay in the pink room, our favorite). Like an oasis in the middle of the city. We would always come back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Located in Monserrat neighborhood in Buenos Aires, first impressions of this hotel are good ones. BEAUTIFUL courtyard on the inside, sort of a paradise away from the polluted smoggy world that we found BA to be......

Our first room did not come with a shower curtain, therefore one shower left our bathroom flooded. It was ridiculous. Staff told us it would dry. That coupled with the fact one towel was dirty, a piece of the shower handle broke off, and the toilet paper roll broke, made us get another room. Staff was more than happy to help us out.

Walking around the hotel, my friend opened a courtyard door, and the handle fell off of THAT as well....At this point, we just laughed because it was pretty funny......

Besides the fact that the staff smoked like a chimney, and the lounge area was pretty much a cigarette lounge, I still found the staff to be courteous, helpful, and cheerful.....

One thing that rubbed me the wrong way with the staff was that they wanted to get us a car to the airport that was probably about $10 more expensive than obvious alternatives.

The beds in the rooms are average, not the most comfortable pillows in the world, but the rooms themselves are clean and the architecture is beautiful and the rooms are unique.....

I didn't find the neighborhood had anything that your average 30 year old traveller is looking for. We took a cab everywhere and it would have been nicer to stay in many other neighborhoods other than this one......

Research some other places. This place DOES have a great ambiance (for an urban hotel), and very nice workers, but unless you're a smoker, or want to throw down over a 100$USD a night on beautiful architecture (and some ikea branded accompaniments), I would say look elsewhere......

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We concur with the positive reviews already posted, but wanted to add a note about the excellent service that we experienced by their staff. Upon arrival we received great suggestions for restaurants and a Tango show. During the course of the stay they made helpful phone calls to coordinate some of our daytime activities. Approaching our departure they offered to confirm our transfer and flight arrangements, certainly more assistance than might be expected at the usual lodging. Finally, having returned home and discovering that we had left my daughter's orthodontic applicance, they quickly made arrangements for its mailing to our home in the states, a kind act for which we are very thankful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Newcastle Upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in August. The hotel is hidden behind an unassuming front door and a long corridor opens onto a pretty tiled verandah which the ground floor rooms are lined along. (Some others open onto a garden further back.) The room's external door felt a little insecure at first but as all the staff were so laid back we started to feel the same.

The original house was built in 1820. Our room was dark with a high ceiling, traditional furniture and a bathroom with antique fittings. It was a real constrast from the modern boutique hotels we had stayed in on previous nights. As it was cold outside, the room never really got warm enough. It was also too cold to make much use of the attractive outside areas. It was pretty quiet and we overslept seriously one day. Breakfast was served 'til 11am, which helped, and included the best medialunas we had in Argentina, home made by Betty. Nothing cooked was offered although I bet they would have made anything we wanted if we had asked. All the staff were very obliging and provided late night trays of tea, glasses of wine and stuff (half of which I don't think they charged us for). We were the only guests that week so we might have seen the place at its most laid back. As for the immediate area, it's pretty nondescript. There were a couple of restaurants neearby which looked ok but we happened to eat further afield. In summary, if you are looking for old world character and charm, a cool, quiet retreat and friendly laid back service this will probably do you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

After a few weeks of travelling around Argentina, I had one night back in Buenos Aires before flying home and wanted to try an alternative to the big chain hotels so after reading the reviews here booked at Hotel La Cayetana and was pleased with the short stay I only wished could've been longer.

Upon arriving at the hotel in the early evening and buzzing at the intercom beside the tall wooden street door, I was greeted and given a warm welcome by Augustin who I had secured my reservation with months earlier and that personal connection immediately put me at ease. I was checked in to room #9, a standard suite near the main living room/lobby of the hotel. Having to meet friends at a restaurant across the city and being pressed for time, Augustin was really helpful in recommending the best way to get there, which was the Subte, the city's underground subway/metro system. Moreno is one of the closest Subte station to the hotel and is about a 10 minute walk down Avenida Belgano to Avenida de 9 Julio, the main thoroughfare in the city and hard to miss being at least 6 lanes in each direction. Getting around by Subte is very economical as each ride with or without connections is only ARS$1.10 or approx. USD$0.35.

Standard suite #9 features a canopy queen bed that was cozy to fall into after a very late supper that ended after midnight. The whole room has an antique feel with hardwood floors, a high vaulted ceiling and rustic wardrobe cabinet as well as the shuttered doors that lead out onto one of the interior courtyards. The wooden shutters made for a nice dark room, though being winter the sun didn't really rise until almost 8 a.m. The room key is one of the old skelaton key variety and added to the period atmosphere of the hotel. A flat screen TV that looked about 20 inches was mounted next to the large antique wardrobe but don't think I even turned it on during the stay and it's the lone modern touch in the room. The bathroom was bordering on large and featured a full tub with no overflow value North Americans are likely used to so it could be filled full allowing a leisurely morning soak which was a nice way to start the last day in Argentina. Overall while a fairly spartan room it was more than enough to make the stay plesant and comfortable.

The hotel can be easy to miss when walking past it on Calle Mexico as there's only a small sign next to the arched wooden front door. I would recommend having the address handy to show to cab drivers if you Spanish was like mine and basic at best. The neighbourhood the hotel is in, Monserrat, is a little off the major avenues so is somewhat quieter than other hotels I'd stayed at but is very central to see the sights should you wish to base yourself here for a longer stay and see the whole city. Some reviews have mentioned it not being in the best area but I never felt unsafe walking around or getting back past midnight by taxi. Sure it's a working class part of town but that only added to the honest & unpretentious approach I enjoyed from the hotel staff.

Breakfast was included in the hotel rate and is offered in a little kitchen nook from 7 - 10 a.m. and consists of rolls, jam, cereal, coffee and juice. A morning paper in English, the Herald, was a nice way to linger over coffee.

While check out is early, 10 a.m., the staff is very obliging about letting you store your luggage while those like myself with late evening flights do some last sightseeing before leaving for the airport. My flight was around 9 p.m. and I wanted to catch the hotel shuttle around 5 p.m. and Augustin arranged that for me. The company I'd used upon arrival, Manuel Tienda Leon, is a very reputable service that picks hotel guests up in a private car and takes them to their main airport shuttle bus terminal a short distance away. At ARS$45 or around USD$15 onw way it's a very good value. The hotel does offer a private car service to take you to the airport and would be a little quicker and it is ARS$90 but I went with Manuel Tienda Leon instead. The staff at La Cayetana are also willing to help plan your sightseeing by booking city tours, Tango shows, domestic air tickets and other tourist services and the personal service is a really nice change after staying at big chain hotels that too often offer the opposite.

One note worth mentioning is a cash discount offered at check out that represents a significant savings for those paying in Pesos instead of credit cards. Unfortunately I had only enough cash on me to get me through the day and didn't want to find a nearby ATM so declined the offer but anyone staying for 4 or 5 nights might want to factor this discount in when it comes time to check out as it's an attractive savings.

In closing I hope I can return to Hotel La Cayetana and stay longer as one night just isn't enough to get the true feel of a boutique hotel though I'm glad I opted to try something different as it was a nice stay. The positive reviews here about the hotel I found to be on the mark and now I can understand why. If you prefer a generic chain hotel catering to the masses there are plenty of choices in Buenos Aires but if you're looking for a change of pace and want a cozy room in a unique, intimate hotel in a central Buenos Aires neighborhood this little gem offers all that plus warm personalized service. There's lots to like if you give it a try which I can recommend doing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

I'm late in posting my review, but my primary reason is to update my profile so I will save the name of the hotel. I think that is a good reflection on our thoughts on this hotel. I remember that I made an error when reserving the hotel that did not line up with our flights. I reserved an extra night of hotel, and they did work with me. The mistake was completely my fault, and they worked with me nicely.

The restaurants that were in walking distance was some of our favorites. The hotel was clean, and I remember that our room had a bidet!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

If your looking for a great little hotel in BA then this is for you. 11 great rooms all individually styled. The owner and staff are very efficient and friendly and will do anything they can to help you. Once your inside the front door of the hotel tranquillity rules a real getaway from the hussle and bussle on BA outside. I highly reccomend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Cayetana? Share your experiences!