“Overpriced, pretentious little hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rochester Concept

You added Rochester Concept to your Saves list
Rochester Concept
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Maipu 572, Buenos Aires C1006, Argentina (Formerly Hyde Park Hotel)   |
Ranked #112 of 436 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Quito
“Overpriced, pretentious little hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I made the mistake of booking this hotel and getting two prepaid vouchers before arriving to Buenos Aires. I was flying in from Santiago (Chile), but the flight had been canceled, so my plans changed. Consequently, I emailed the hotel requesting to move my reservation to the following day. They did respond the next day saying that they could not move my reservation, and that they would consider me a no show despite my request. I had to pay USD 115 for staying that first night, since the voucher was considered void. My second prepaid voucher began the next day and lasted three days, so I had no choice but to stay in this overpriced, pretentious little hotel in Buenos Aires' noisy microcentro. The rooms are claustrophobically small, with very little space for clothes and other stuff. The TV set in my room (708) was very small and didn’t work well, as the image was very blurry. The service was mediocre at best. A few times I asked for a change of room, but they said there were no empty rooms (which I suspected to be false). Be careful, don’t stay at this hotel, and don’t get fooled – as I did – by its well designed website and its relatively elegant lobby.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Ventas, revenue manager at Rochester Concept, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
In case of cancellation or no-show, the Rochester Hotels politic are the following:
Cancellation: 48 hs (1nigth penalty)
No-show: 1 nigth penalty.
Same politics are sending to the guest with reservation confirm
Rochester Concept has different room categories and different size, depending the date and the availavility we offer ,free of charge, an upgrade in same hotel or move to Rochester classic (our 4* hotel), but same times both hotels are full and offer other option is not possible for us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

The staff is excellent. They were attentive to every need. They gave me a room toward the back of the building. They stored and locked our luggage the day we arrived before check-in. I had room 405. It was very quiet. Couldn't hear anything from other rooms nor the street. I can't say enough good things about the staff. "Exceptional" wraps it up. The sad part is the rooms. Two people in a double room at this hotel is one person too many; maybe even two people too many. I didn't quite grasp what people were talking about on here but these rooms are very small. There was no where to store luggage. The bed was low to the ground so I couldn't put anything under the bed. As a result we had to store it right in the middle of the floor and step over it. After about 36 hours of this we couldn't stand it anymore so we checked out and found another hotel on the other side of Ave Julio. We were supposed to spend 3 nights but 2 was enough. The shower is so silly as to be funny! Water everywhere as other people said. But our bathroom wasn't small. It was about 3/4 the size of the room where the bed was! I thought that was odd but it's obviously an old building so oddities are to be expected. I would definitely stay here again but only if I was traveling alone. I can't see trying to share a room so small with another person. We paid for a double and we got a single room. Overall I was happy with the hotel. An attentive staff and great service win me over every time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

As mentioned by other people on this site, some of the rooms in the Rochester Concept have a problem with sound insulation from the street noise. If you happen to be given a room that is on a low floor facing Maipu street, I would strongly suggest you ask the person at the front desk to switch your room. During my stay, I was initially put in one of those loud rooms, but the staff was willing to change the room, so I guess they are aware of the problem.

There is free wireless internet available in the lobby, and it has a decent speed, but you'll have to pay if you want to use one of the hotels computers. The price isn't much and in general the small fee was probably a good thing because it prevented people from hogging the public computers for hours.

I stayed in three different single rooms, and all of them were small, but adequate. If you're planning on spending all your time in your room, this hotel is probably not for you. However, if you are planning spending your awake hours outside of the room enjoying Buenos Aires, then the room sizes are just fine.

The bathrooms are okay, however the showers seem to be designed for style and not for actually trying to keep water in the shower area. After a 5 minute shower you should expect a decent sized puddle to form on the floor, so plan accordingly. Also, due to water going everywhere, so of the wood pieces in the bathrooms are starting to get a bit warped looking.

The locks on the room doors were somewhat scary in there was no way to open the door from the inside without using your room key. If two people were staying and a room and one person left with the key and closed the door, the other person would literally be trapped in the room until someone came to get them out. Luckily in the USA we have fire codes that prevent idiotic designs like the doors at Rochester Concept. If you decide to stay here, for your own safety I would recommend inserting your room key in the lock whenever you are in the room.

The breakfast at Rochester Concept is another point of contention for many people on this site. I actually liked the breakfast, but it certainly wasn't a traditional "hot breakfast" like is advertised. While it is true that scrambled eggs are offered, that is the only hot food that is offered and the breakfast would be better described as a good continental breakfast that also includes scrambled eggs. Another problem with breakfast was that there never seemed to be enough seating, and if you aren't there at the start or end of breakfast you might have to wait for a table.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Belem
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

I thought it was a very good hotel, looking at the beautiful pictures at the hotel site, but when we arrived it was a disapointment... the room was too small for triple room we have paid for, the bathroom was even too small for two people to stay in, the shower box leaked water everywhere, and the worst: sometimes there was a stinky, rotten smell comming from the sewer. The elevators were too small. People weren´t helpful. The air conditioner was too cold, blowing on us when we slept, and we coudn't turn it off, cause its central. The only two good things was the location near the center and the delicious breakfast. But you can stay in a better place for this price.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Ventas, revenue manager at Rochester Concept, responded to this review, April 30, 2009
Rochester Concept has different room categories, all of that with central air conditioner. Rochester Hotels deal the better price in the market in this hotel category
Sao Paulo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

I feel compelled to write my first review after staying in such a terrible hotel on November 2007 with my girlfriend (after it had allegedly been "fully renovated") . And what makes it even more terrible than it already is is the absolutely unfair web site used to catch fools like me. Here are the worst things:

1) Noise! Despite advertising that the room windows are sound absorbing, that is not true, especially if you face the street. it doesn't matter if it is in the centre of the city. If a window is sound absorbing, it should absorb the sound. But those of the Rochester Concept don't. On first night, the street noise (incredibly high due to buses and trucks) woke us up at 5am after sleeping only 4 hours (if we hadn't been tired due to the flight to BA we probably wouldn't have slept a minute). On second night, we woke up at 4:30am. After insisting a lot we moved to another room facing backwards - better but no enough.

2) No "pure design", as claimed in the website. The website gives the impression that it is a design hotel with modern furniture. It isn't. The first room we stayed at was totally old. Only the bed seemed to be newer, and had almost the same size of the tiny room. The second room had a modern sink in the bathroom, similar to the ones shown at the website, which doesn't make it a modern bathroom. Tiles and toilet are old. Walls are stained. Shower cannot fit a thin person and the water leaks and floods the bathroom. Air conditioner is noisy and doesn't work well. Elevators are small and slow. Carpets are old and stinky.

3) Poor breakfast. The orange juice was more a dirty water. Even if you go down to breakfest in the time it should be served yet, you may not have bread or crackers or something else anymore. better off having an "empanada" somewhere else.

The only good point to this hotel is the location. But the area is full of better and less expensive hotels than Rochester Concept.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ventas, revenue manager at Rochester Concept, responded to this review, February 11, 2009
Rochester Concept has three different room categories, all of that with double window. Same rooms are in the front of the building and other ones are in the back, the room assignations depends on the guest request at the moment to make the reservation.
The breakfast is full and is served between 7.00 am to 11.00 am every days.
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I must say that although most visitors to the Rochester Concept have actually had the most horrible opportunity to stay at this hotel, my experience has been none of the sort. I wish that I could say that I had the chance to have been accommodated by this so called hotel, but from the moment I walked through the front entrance and to the receptionist desk after a ten hour flight to begin my wonderful vacation in Buenos Aires, you can only imagine the most unbelievably disappointing feeling that ran through my body when I was told that my reservation had been cancelled. WHAT?? Because my flight left the US mid evening the day before, (the day of our reservation) arriving us in Argentina the following morning our reservation was cancelled. The only excuse that was given was that we did not call to say that we were still arriving. Um......hello, we also did not call to say that we wouldn't be arriving. Out of common courtesy the Rochester concept should have simply made a call to confirm that we were still arriving. In which case they would not have gotten through to myself or my partner due to altitude issues called flying. In any event they could have given us the chance to arrive before given our room away (due to a large conference in town completely booking the entire hotel) because they still charged us for the day we missed. Either way they were still getting paid for the room, by myself or by the other party they chose to give our room to, but they chose to cancel our reservation after taking our money and leaving us stranded with no where to stay. The little help that they offered did us no justice because we spent something like the next two hours walking the streets of Buenos Aires aimlessly in search of a hotel. Luckily we were able to find boarding at the Sheraton, yes that's right I said the Sheraton Hotel whose service, rooms, restaurants, receptionist and overall appearance and location put the Rochester Concept to shame. Hands down, no contest. I would never recommend this hotel to any of my well to do friends who travel on a regular basis and accept recommendations from myself on the best places to board and dine. The Rochester Concept was a horrible experience and its name will never be mentioned by me again!! Simply awful!

Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Ventas, revenue manager at Rochester Concept, responded to this review, December 17, 2008
The penalty policy of no-show (no use of the reserve without prior notice) in the Rochester Concept is just the 1st night of the stay, which is why if a reservation is not used on the day of admission the same is passed automatically to a state of no-show, freeing up the rest of the nights for sale and performing the bill of the first night, this process is automatic, the only way to change it is to receive notice that the reserve will be used the next day. Taking this information the date of arrival is modified and the releasing of the rest of the stay is avoided. This policy is implemented by all the hotels in all sales channels in order to prevent the payment of the entire stay in case of no-show (no use the reserve without prior notice)
Porto Alegre, RS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

The location of the hotel is great. It's downtown! So, it's easy to move around.
You can easily take a bus or use the subway from there to other locations.

I stayed in room 806 (8th floor) for 7 nights in July 2008.
When I arrived there I had no problems to check in. I just gave them my voucher and went up to the room. No waiting at all!

The room is not so big, but I only slept there, so it's no big deal actually.
The bathroom is really nice and the shower is great.

It has cable TV, heating, safe but it didn`t have a closet. Only some hangers which was fine to me.

The internet didn't work when I was there. Actually, I paid to use it for 30 minutes but the clerk didn't want to give my money back!
I had to wait and talk to a lovely girl who works there and fixed the problem.

The breakfast was really good to me! They have croissants (medialunas), bread, butter, jam, fruits, cereals, juice, coffee, tea. It's really good to eat in the hotel and then going out.

The staff was really kind (except for the internet-issue guy) and they gently called a taxi for me when I was leaving to the airport.

I found interesting that when the maids cleaned my room, they didn't even moved my personal objetcts.

However, the safe was very useful to keep money, passports and other stuff protected (which I stongly recommend since we never know who will clean your room).

I would really recommend this hotel, especially because some friends of mine went to Buenos Aires, stayed in different hotels and reported me problems, such as stealing personal objetcts from inside suitcases, which I haven't experienced at all at the hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room size and internet access (which didn't work!)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rochester Concept? Share your experiences!