“Good location, helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ayres de Recoleta Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   J E Uriburu 1756, Buenos Aires 01114, Argentina   |
Ranked #164 of 436 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location, helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed for a week in January 2012. All staff spoke very good english and were very helpful. Especially when we wanted to organise cabs and buses etc. Breakfast is served in the room. It is located right next to the Recoleta Cemetery which is fine. There are a couple of local cheap restaurants nearby.

We walked to most attractions from our hotel but again cab rides were not expensive either. I would recommend this to people in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

The title sums it up. We stayed here for a week over Christmas (2011). The staff were very helpful making reservations, contacting taxis all the usual stuff but it is done with a smile. The location is next to the Recoleta Cemetery which is one of the biggest attractions of Buenos Aires and is not creepy. There is a large mall across the street but it is unobtrusive and can be convenient if you need something quickly.

We walked to most attractions from our hotel but cab rides were not expensive either. I would recommend this to people in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

This hotel is in a great location - walking distance from the Recoleta cemetery and just around the corner from tons of restaurants and ice cream shops. We found the hotel service to be very prompt and courteous. The hotel room was very clean and spacious. The beds were a bit on the hard side but other than that, we were very comfortable. Breakfast is served to your room, but it was very not very hearty. The lobby has free wifi, you have to ask the front desk for a passcode slip. You can get wifi in your room at the cost of $7 for 24 hours. While we were there, the heater in the pool and jacuzzi were broken. Recoleta is a great neighborhood, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in this area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

The location of the hotel is very nice, great neighborhood. The staff was very helpful and the room was very clean. Although the breakfast was really bad, fell options and bad taste.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

So my friend and I got into the airport and got onto Orbitz to find a hotel. Both new to B.A., all my Argentine friends said it was all about Recoleta, so I fixated on that area and I saw this hotel. The price, like many in Latin America, was quite reasonable and with attractive accommodations. We liked what we saw. We were only in the city a very short period, barely over 24 hours, but I was willing to pay for two nights in order to not have to vacate the room in the morning, since our flight was late at night the next day. We booked for one night on Orbitz (all that was possible in any hotel in Recoleta that weekend), then get a cab to the hotel. As was expected, they hadn't yet received it from Orbitz so I showed it on my phone to Carlos, who was very nice and helpful. It seemed none of the hotels in Recoleta had both Saturday and Sunday available, so I booked only Saturday, hoping that I could talk to the front desk and see if anything opened up. Carlos indicated that Sunday would be possible. As we arrived in the morning in B.A. and check in wasn't until 3pm, they kindly allowed us to keep our bags until the room was ready. So, we took a bus tour of the city and returned around 6pm.

Now, the hotel advertises it has a sauna, a pool, and a jacuzzi. Ok, the sauna is gone, permanently, and when we were there the heater was broken on the pool and jacuzzi. We had had a 9 hour flight, and walked all over the city and were in an opened top tour bus for 4 hours on an overcast cold wet windy day. We needed that sauna and jacuzzi. I used to think paying separately for these things was unreasonable, but I'd rather not be charged a certain rate for a room at a hotel that advertises these amenities and then fails to deliver. Better yet, I'd really like them to be working, and state the status of their amenities or any outages on the travel sites; it's only fair to prospective customers. We wanted those amenities and booked the hotel for that reason, we would not have booked here had they not been available.

Then we come to find out that in fact, no we can't reserve two nights, that Carlos had been mistaken and they had no rooms available on Sunday the 9th for our room, #201, or anywhere in the hotel. At this point, given the failed amenities, we were more than happy not to pay for another night; but still, it was irritating that we were hearing two different things.

Further, though this was out of the hotel's control, apparently the power company was doing work that Sunday which implied losing electricity in the Recoleta area Sunday morning. We were told to order breakfast early so that we would be sure to receive it. Others have said that breakfast was around the corner I think they have changed that now so it is in room. In any event, we didn't want to get up that early (but for the power outage we would be able to get it later, perhaps as late as 11am). So we missed out on the breakfast too. And then, when I was in the bathroom at about 8:20 am, sure enough, the lights went out. But here's the thing, they only went out in the room, not in the hallways or lobby. ??? If they have a generator they should be supplying electricity to the paying customers.

Further, they ration their internet usage to customers to varying time increments. I was given a 1/2 hour code, and a 1 day code. I'm staying for one day, why did I get a 1/2 hour code? And it's not a code that can be recycled every 1/2 hour. It's a 1/2 hour, and that's it. Admittedly, at least they didn't charge extra for wifi, but why would they give a nightly customer a 1/2 hour code? Also, it's per device. I'm sorry but these days people have iPhones, Blackberries, and laptops, I don't want to get a slip of paper 20 times a day for each one of these. Fortunately we got a 1 day code after that but then... the power thing, which meant to wifi anyway. Ugh!

I will say on the positive side, the staff was professional, friendly, and helpful where they could be. They did make accommodations for our early arrival and were helpful with information about getting around town and liaising with tour operators etc. (for example, for the Piazolla tango show which I .highly. recommend). All were friendly and helpful.

But I cannot deny that we were inconvenienced and uncomfortable in this hotel due to its poor maintenance and management on the back end, and a prospective traveler should know this before booking. Contact them, or any hotel, ..ahead.. of time, and ask them the status of their advertised amenities. A little tip I pass along to other travelers.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor not facing the street. Alternatively there's rooms facing the famous...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

For the price of a moderate hotel room somewhere else, we had a small, well appointed apartment at Ayres de Recoleta Hotel and were very comfortable. My husband and I enjoyed 5 nights there. Our room fronted on Uriburu, but we did not have a problem with noise. The staff was extremely helpful and made dinner reservations, called taxis and advised us on how to get places. They even spent time contacting my airlines when I was having trouble checking in for our departing flight. They really understood service.

The breakfast was ample and always delivered to the room promptly. The hotel was well-maintained and well-kept. The only problem at all was that the public internet computers were having some difficulties. I was sorry to leave and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Goiania, GO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Great local but not really in the beautiful Recoleta. It's is located in a avenue. The towels was dirty. I complained about every day but i think they do not know how to really wash one. the internet doesn't not work for mac computers. the staff was nice. I'll chose another place next time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ayres de Recoleta Hotel? Share your experiences!