“Nice hotel, but big problem” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Facon Grande
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Reconquista 645, Buenos Aires 1003, Argentina   |
Ranked #185 of 436 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Santa Rosa, CA
“Nice hotel, but big problem”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

Based on the 2 good reviews about Facon Grande Hotel, I booked the hotel for 5 nights, March 2-6, 2007. Everything was fine until we left. I checked with the desk clerk, the night before we had to leave, just to make sure that everything was in order regarding our bill. He told me that we did not owe anything and gave me a print-out. Very early the following morning we waited for a cab to take us to the airport. It was 15 min. late and we were worried that we would miss our plane. After driving some distance, the cab driver received a phone call and took us back to the hotel! The night clerk then told us that we still owed $140. We said the bill had been taken care of the night before, and in fact, we never owed the hotel anything because we always paid with cash. Since we were worried about missing our flight, we paid him $140 and decided to deal with it later. I called the travel agent from the airport, and she told me they had been paid in full. My husband called them from Chile and was told they would refund our money through Western Union. They have never done so.

• Liked — the friendliness of the day clerks
  • Disliked — being overcharged
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Florianopolis, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2007

I've been in Facon Grande last november with my wife. By the name of the hotel I wasn't expecting so much, but I had a good surprise.

It is a simple hotel. The room isn't big, but it is comfortable, with a good bed. The bathroom, just as the hotel, simple, but clean and had everything functioning ok.
Don't expect luxury, but by the price I've paid for a couple room (US$40,00), I don't have any complains.
The breakfast is very good and the attenders are polite. I've ate all the 6 days I spent there.

The best point for me is the location of the hotel, in Calle Reconquista. 2 square from Calle Florida, 2 squares from subway, 2 squares from Galerias Pacifico, 5 minutes (walking) from Casa Rosada.

I passed few time in the hotel; with a beautiful city as BsAs, I passed the major of my time outside.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Groves Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

In it's price range ($45.00) and location you will not find another hotel near as good. Excellent breakfast, clean and decent size rooms. Helpful staff , with limited english, they wiil go out of their way to help you.

• Stayed March 2006
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2005

Not a flashy hotel, although the lobby is nice. The main selling point for us was the central location and very good price (US$40 a night). We had just returned from a trip to Iguazu Falls and called from the airport and reserved a room. It was mentioned in the guide book we had and we'd previously passed it a couple of times and thought it looked good. Our room was small and the decor which seemed partly new and clean was showing signs of a previous incarnation (a garish carpet and coloured bathroom suite). However an air conditioned room with cable TV was all we wanted. Rooms weren't particularly soundproof though. Breakfast that was included was a continental buffet style and was one of the better ones we experienced. Staff were friendly and helpful. There's free use of a PC for internet access and we also had 2 free drink tokens for the bar. These were limited to a few choices but when it's complimentary who cares? Some good nearby bars/pubs and restaurants too.

Been to Hotel Facon Grande? Share your experiences!