“Corners of BA you will never see otherwise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Otro Porteno Walking Tour

El Otro Porteno Walking Tour
Pedro Ignacio Rivera 2815 | 5to Piso, Buenos Aires 1428, Argentina (Belgrano)
+5491155979248
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: "El Otro Porteno" are walking tours in Buenos Aires beyond the touristic areas. We want to give the opportunity to travellers for a local cultural experience. Local walking tours everyday of the week: Discover CABALLITO's hidden Gems. Walk through BELGRANO's past & present Memories. Visiting the city's neighbourhoods and tasting the flavours of our food we use to eat everyday. Everyone can join us to walk the streets of the city as another porteno. We are a local team of Portenos so you can bet we'll give our best."
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Corners of BA you will never see otherwise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

My friend and I took the regular Monday morning Caballito tour and privately-arranged "Dictators" tour with Elisa. She is fantastic - very knowledgeable and passionate about history and Buenos Aires. Both tours took us to areas of BA we NEVER would have found on our own, and certainly never would have explored as well without a professional guide. The pace, content, and duration of were very well thought out - and laced with her own appropriate anecdotes and analysis. We were never bored or distracted for a minute - not one instant. The Dictators tour in particular was very moving. It focused on a former prison and torture centre but reviewed the whole history of the brutal 1976-1983 military junta. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Visited January 2014
arieiber, Propietario at El Otro Porteno Walking Tour, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
That's a great review. We appreciate it very much! The caballito tour really is off the beaten track, and we're glad to know you got another private tour with Elisa! Thanks for that guys. If you are more interested in discovering BA you should take the Belgrano Memories Tour with Ariel. It will show you another way of looking at things there in his neighbourhood! Thanks again for the review and happy travelling!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Belgrano Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Very good service, very good English and done with passion!

I recommend the trip to Belgrano to anybody who would like to see a part of Buenos Aires with its normal life and also learn a little bit of history and customs.

The fee is how much you want, but Otro Porteno deserves a good payment :) especially for the common sense, flexibility and dedication.

Visited September 2013
arieiber, Propietario at El Otro Porteno Walking Tour, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thanks for this review! We truly are passionate about this tours and the group trips we organize visiting Mendoza Iguazú and else! We're glad you could enjoy it!
Berlin
“Amazing insights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very different Amazing walking Tour that allows u to experience something real about The City.

Really nice host who combines an experience of Food, architecture, customs

Visited October 2013
arieiber, Propietario at El Otro Porteno Walking Tour, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you very much for that Review. Let's say food its sweets, candies and pastries, right? You're more than welcome to come and join us in our Tours in Caballito and Belgrano too!
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I am taking a year off before college to travel, and have been in Buenos Aires for a few weeks to improve my Spanish and explore the area. This tour was recommended to me by the staff at Vamos Academy (the school that I am attending to learn Spanish which I also recommend). I took the Sunday Belgrano "off the beaten path" tour. The tour guide, Ariel, is very friendly, down to earth, and fun to hangout with. He speaks great english, but was also open to talking in Spanish to help me practice. We explored the often-forgotten-by-tourists area of Belgrano. We learned about the history of this area, ate in Chinatown, tried his favorite candies and pastries, and much more! At the end he offered to go with us to a beautiful spot where you can see the water. I recommend this tour to anyone and everyone who wants an authentic, informative, and FUN way to spend the afternoon.

Visited November 2013
arieiber, Propietario at El Otro Porteno Walking Tour, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thanks for this positive review. I can't stop smiling when I see travelers who can enjoy the city regardless of the touristic areas. Those visitors who love to explore and believe that local tourism is the best way to get in touch with a more authentic cultural experience! I'm so glad you like the tour of Belgrano and I will continue inviting you to the tour of Caballito and why not to keep travelling Argentina with El Otro Porteño Travels! Thanks again!
Los Angeles, California
“Unique Argentina experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This tour was so amazing...where do I even start?! My best friend from high school and I were looking for a unique Argentina experience... something not in the tour books but authentic, different and fun. We came across Ari's mystery local dazzle me tour and since it was fairly cheap we said "why not?". We were two women travelling alone so at first were a little apprehensive but Ari's professionalism, as well as the fact we went through Vayable...thus leaving a clear paper trail, put us at ease.

Before you read any further do not go on this tour if you expect a tour in the traditional sense.... such as following a cheesy guide carrying a little flag and talking AT you. This tour is not that...it is an experience and a journey. If you are a person who wants to go from point to point, from site to site and either carries a bulky camera around your neck or wears a visible fanny pack do not go on this.

Continuing...

Prior to arriving in Argentina Ari and I had been emailing back and fourth so I think he was able to get a feel for the types of things my friend and I like doing so when we met with him close to our rented apartment our journey started.

Ari customizes each tour based on your tastes/interests/personality so I would hate to tell you of my experience and have you want an identical one when you might have an entirely different travelling style/ experiences you find fun.

I will say that Ari took us to unique places in the city and even out of the city to experience Argentina culture at it's finest. Yes, we did take pictures. We even met up with one of his friends who shared her experiences living in Argentina. We bonded over some Yerba Mate and the whole time I felt as though we were all long lost friends who had only reunited. My first thought was that Ari was just trying to ensure a good tip, but that thought quickly faded as he appeared genuine and sincerely was trying to make our short time here memorable.

The experience took the better part of a day and we ended our time together laughing over coffee and submarinos(hot milk/cream where you stir in a chocolate bar...kind of a do it yourself hot chocolate).

We started as strangers and left as friends and this "tour" has been the best experience we have had in Argentina thus far ( well...seeing a ballet at Teatro Colon was pretty amazing too).

I highly recommend it, especially if you are the type of person who enjoys spontaneity and is ok with stepping a bit out of your comfort zone to try something new and exciting.

Visited November 2013
arieiber, Propietario at El Otro Porteno Walking Tour, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you very much for such a detailed review! We've made for the first time this "Local Dazzle" tour aiming to surprise and share a day between travelers and locals. The idea was exactly not to visit touristic places but to focus in the daily experience! Hope we can get more excellent and experienced travelers to share more of these type of traveling! Thanks