“Good, affordable and comfortable.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Atlas Tower Hotel

You added Atlas Tower Hotel to your Saves list
Atlas Tower Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Corrientes 1778, Buenos Aires 1042AAQ, Argentina (San Nicolas)   |
Ranked #239 of 441 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Glasgow
“Good, affordable and comfortable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

After having read reviews on Tripadvisor, I was slightly wary of booking this hotel. However, I found it to provide a pleasant stay. On entering the hotel, there is a slight musty smell in the foyer and the corridors. However, this did not extend to the rooms. Our room overlooked Avenida Corrientes. Again, I was dreading this as I had read it was a very busy street. It was, but it did not affect our sleep. The hotel is about five blocks from Obelisco. You can see it from the front of the hotel. There is also a Subte just to the left of the hotel; this is an excellent way to travel around. The front desk staff explained how the system worked, which was helpful.

The staff here were helpful and pleasant. They did not speak much english, but they always managed to find someone who could, which was good, as we have limited Spanish. The W.C. was recently fitted and modern with a good shower and toiletries provided. TV in the room also. No tea/ coffee facilities though. The minibar was well stocked and probably one of the most reasonably priced I have seen.

The breakfast was not excellent. One type of cheese and one type of ham, bread and a toaster. Cereal and yoghurt, tea/ coffee and fruit juice, pastries and cakes; but that was about it. It's not really a complaint, but it could do with a quick review and update. Do not expect hot food.

We asked for a taxi to the airport on the way back, but the person that turned up was possibly a friend of the staff as it was a plain car! To be honest, this didn't bother me at all. We just had a bit of a laugh at it. Some people are desperately poor or on terrible salaries, so this type of thing I can understand. The price was cheaper than a street taxi.

All in all, I was captivated by the city itself and the older fashioned feel of this hotel simply added to the overall atmosphere. I would stay again and would recommend it to friends and fellow travellers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
buenos aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

I had come several times to Buenos Aires but I've never stayed in that neighborhood. Atlas Tower Hotel was chosen solely based on its location, Avenida Corrientes near Callao.
This time I didn't want to stay at downtown, nor around the Obelisco, nor Puerto Madero, nor desert places by night. As I was coming alone the proximity with bookstores, places to eat, subway station, was a plus.

The hotel was quite a surprise! Although small, it was new and clean. Everything was really new! My room was tide, but everything was ok. The bed was very comfortable, the tv w/ many cable channels, there was a safe, the bathroom was clean and ok, etc. Only sometimes the noise was a bit too much because of the avenue. And I missed a litter basket.

The breakfast was ok, although I missed some fruits (there was only fruit juice). There was a free internet, but only one computer, so you had to be lucky sometimes.

It was a very great stay.

• Stayed May 2006
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

Stayed here for 2 nights. It was $74 US (including all taxes, which are about 20% + room rate in Argentina).

Very excellent location, about 6 blocks from the Obelisk. Subway stop is literally outside the hotel. Walking distance to many of the sights in Buenos Aires and parks. Lots of places to eat within 1 block radius of the hotel. Very safe location as people are walking around the street at all hours (compared to where I stayed in Palermo). fast food and convinience stores around the neighborhood.

Room are great, especially for the cost. Cable TV, Air conditioning. Room was clean and adequate in size and nicely furnished. But I've stayed in bigger hotel rooms, which can cost $200 + taxes. Most of the time I wasn't in the room so it didn't matter. I didn't come to Buenos Aires to hang out in a hotel room. No pool.

Breakfast is included (pretty standard for Argentina). I've had much much worse breakfasts (Che Lu Lu) and better along the way. Standards include the medialunas, coffee, toast, fruit, etc. Free internet in the breakfast room 24/7.

The best part was the front staff. I spoke no spanish so there was always someone who spoke English at the front desk. Furthermore, they always went the extra mile to ensure I had a pleasant stay. They made recommendations about places to eat and hang out. They called radiotaxis and went outside to tell the taxi driver where to take me (because the taxi people rarely spoke English). They were all nice young guys too who gave me recommendations about where to buy some wine to take home and fun to talk to.

They can arrange some tours for you and give you some recommendations for where to go in the city. I didn't really care for the bus tour they recommended, but it only cost $10 so I didn't lose much.

Since my flight from BA took off at 10 PM, they let me check my baggage with them for the day and then I walked around the city. They also let me hang out in the internet room and use the bathroom to freshen up before my flight.

They have a radiotaxi service they can call to take you to the international airport for 60 pesos ($20). Be careful to bring exact change for that ride since a friend said they driver wouldn't make change. Not really the fault of the hotel. Would stay there again. Hope I can go back to Buenos Aires soon.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Atlas Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!