“Consider staying at the Tritone” 4 of 5 stars

Tritone Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Maipu 657, Buenos Aires 1006, Argentina (San Nicolas)   |
Ranked #183 of 441 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Bermuda
“Consider staying at the Tritone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I had read the other reviews and would have been scared off this location. Sounded run-down and in a dangerous location.

We still stayed there because my daughters school has chosen it for the best location and value, and my daughter was staying the night before I arrived. (she's in Argentina for a year for school and has stayed here many times.)

My first trip to Argentina and I have to admit, my first impression was the area was rough. Then I saw the room and thought it small and really beat up.

After a few nights in the hotel, here's my real impression:

- As mentioned in other reviews, there is still some construction in the area and it meant we were at times dropped off half a block away by taxi. Not a problem. If you look around, half of Buenos Aires is under road construction so I don't think this unique. However the area immediately in front of the hotel seems complete and it's actually pretty nice.

- There area does give a first impression of being 'sketchy'. Again, many streets in Buenos Aires to a forgeigner might seem like this. A couple nights there and I was comfortable walking the 2 blocks at night, with my daughter to the shopping areas.

- Lobby staff couldn't be better. Most had good English skills. Very accomodating. Ask them for taxi transfer to airport, local shopping etc... We checked a piece of luggage there for 5 days while we traveled - no problem.

- I never used the "Cambio" guys on the street to exchange dollars. I think they might have given a better rate, but the front desk exchange quickly and a very favourable rate over the gov't rate. I felt safe doing this and believe it was good value. However, just a block away you can exchange dollars with the men and women positioned every 10 feet.

- Lasalle and Florida streets nearby - LOADS of shopping and walking around and near main streets. Galerias Pacifico a short walk away - it's a VERY high end shopping area and good food there too.

Rooms - we traveled to Ushuaia and El Calafate and stayed in 'better' places. But the simple amentieis you look for are the same - mostly lacking (poor tv's., no extra outlets for charging devices -we usually had to unplug a lamp, a bidet that I still don't know how to use!, and if you're lucky only one english speaking channel on the cable).

WiFi was a necessity as I turned off my cell data service. Worked well in all areas of this hotel.

270 pesos for taxi to EZE. I think 200 to the other airport (ARS?). We taxi'd to La Boca and other locations and it was all easy.

All in all I would recommend this hotel again. But you gotta understand you are there for a decent rate and value.

Room Tip: Not room 84. Seems like a well-worn dorm room with 2 single beds. Like other comments here, you ba...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed there and liked it a lot!
The hotel looks nice from outside and better inside.
The room I've stayed had a decent size and was great.
The bathroom was clean.
They served a great breakfast everyday.
Wi-fi connection was not so good.
The staff was helpful and gave us great tips about places to visit and where to find nice stores.
I'd stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The other day I stayed in Tritone hotel which is located in a city center of the Buenos Aires not far from the main tourist attractions.Rooms are spacious, clean and the breakfast is served in a basement of the hotel, what is not very usual for Buenos Aires. Breakfast is more European as you can get eggs, sausages, musli-s....Defenetely i would recommend staying in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Hotel is conveniently located in downtown BA. Facilities are dated but rooms are spacious and clean. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is pretty good as well. Overall the price of the hotel is fair for what you are getting.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I had an amazing experience with this hotel!!!
It´s very clean, have an excellent location and the staff are very courteous.
A good price and a good service.
It is an excellent choice cost / benefit!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

This hotel is what I expected...a nice, clean place to sleep. The rooms and the TVs are very old. The shower leaked, as did the faucet, and there was constantly water on the bathroom floor. While this hotel is definitely due for a facelift, the staff was incredibly friendly and accomodating. They called cabs whenever we needed one, made reservations for us, and were responsive to any requests. The breakfast buffet was decent and we ate there wach morning before starting our day. They also had free Wifi, which was a must for me. If you are looking for luxury, this is NOT it. However, if you are looking for a place to sleep after a busy day, then this may be a good match for you. The location is decent. It is a 10 minute walk to Plaza de Mayo (Casa Rosada and Catedral Metropolitana). However, I´m a big shopper and being closer to La Recoleta would have been nice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Tritone Hotel? Share your experiences!