“A nasty surprise spoils an otherwise good stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Buenos Aires Hotel

Save Saved
You added Melia Buenos Aires Hotel to your Saves list
Melia Buenos Aires Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Reconquista 945 | Centro, Buenos Aires C1003ABS, Argentina (El Centro)   |
Ranked #63 of 439 hotels in Buenos Aires
London
“A nasty surprise spoils an otherwise good stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've taken a long time to think about this review - because of an unpleasant experience at this hotel - which I would otherwise have rated 'very good'. I used to stay at this hotel about 12 or 13 years ago and thought it very modern and far superior to others in the same price bracket. I think it is still good value for money, with standard rooms which are much bigger than one usually finds. Despite what others have written, there is no intrusive noise from the street (on the third floor, facing the row of bars on Reconquista). In fact in 2001 there was a very noisy bus route on this road, now partially pedestrianised.

At the beginning of January, my wife and I had a good day based in the hotel having flown in from the UK overnight and not being able to board our cruise ship until the late afternoon.The hotel was as expected, and the car service from the airport (booked through the hotel) was fine. We returned at the end of the month for a three day stay. All went well (although the breakfast fare was not as good as it could have been, we thought, until our second evening. We came back from a local restaurant to find the communicating doors to the adjoinng room were wide open. The other room was in darkness, but there was a suitcas on the bed. I went downstairs to complain and get the doors properly closed and locked. There was no apology or explanation except that ther had been 'a mistake'. When I got back to the room, the occupant of the other room was there, looking rather surprised - but had he asked for the doors to be opened? We never found out what had happened, but were very pleased indeed that our valuables were locked in the room safe. It left an unpleasant memory of what was otherwise a good holiday.

898 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I am visiting town on regular basis and this was my second stay after almosr two years.

* LOCATION: in the very heart of Microcentro (city) 5 mins to Galerias Pacifico or San Martin Square. Also a bus terminal to the airport is very close. Losts of restaurants and shops

* HOTEL: Older building and decoration but well maintained.

* ROOM: Mine was a contemporary executive on 8th floor overlooking the street. With beige and light brown tones.

* BED: Excellent king bed where I slept very good.

* BATHROOM: Two separate sections for wc and shower. Very good presure and a large head with a lot of water! Great. Also another room with a bathtub with an opening to the room.

* TV: Miiddle sized plasma with lots of chanells. Needed 2 days to find them as not by order and there are 15 empty positions so you need to go one by one until no.80. When asked front desk about the selection they did not know anything.

* HEALTH CLUB: Basic workout room, small swimming pool, jacuzzi, changing room, massage rooms and sauna. Dirty water in jacuzzi and empty used bottles of gel on the floor in the showers.

* BREAKFAST: Nothing special and more like a company canteen than a hotel. Good selection of food (bread, medialunas, juices, fresh fruit...) crambled eggs and bacon. Would like to have different choices every day.

* STAFF: Front desk hepfull but slow and sometimes did not do what asked. At breakfast nobody asks anything and you have to order this and that...younger staff chit-chatting with each other instead of cleaning the dirty plates. Did not make sure at any time if you needed anything.
I asked for an iron which was brought in but later taken away and was not replaced later even if asked. The minibar was not re-filled in time and had to ask for it again!
Room was not properly cleaned!

Overall a good stay especially because of the bed and location and I was cosy inside it. I must add wifi was free in my room and a 30min vouchers provided for PC usage in business centre.
But being an expensive business hotel I would expect much more, especially from hotel staff. When you are Platinum Melia memeber I expect top services and an extra care from all the people involved, which was not met at this occasion.

I would recommend this hotel for businessmen and solo travellers or young couples.

Not indicated for families with small children and spoiled luxury tourist.

• Stayed March 2013
Crowborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We arrived in the morning after a long flight from the UK. The check in staff were friendly and helpful and our room was ready. We had requested a quiet room on the top floor and we were allocated one. The room was large with two double beds, table and comfortable chairs. The included breakfast was excellent with a good choice of cereals, juices, fruit, pastries and cooked items. We used the fitness centre during our stay which had a decent range of equipment.

Overall we enjoyed a very pleasant 3 night stay and would be happy to recommend the hotel as good value for money.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I primarily booked this hotel so that I could be in the same hotel as some friends of mine. As well it was a hotel used by Princess Cruise Lines so I expected it to be good. However, it was better than expected. My room was large with 2 queen beds, a desk and sitting area. More than adequate for a single traveller. Also, the price of the hotel was very reasonable considering its location and the fact that it included an "all you can eat" breakfast buffet.

The location was great for me as I like to walk everywhere. It was 2 or 3 blocks from Florida Street, one of the main shopping areas. Normally the fact that it was a shopping area was not of interest to me but the street itself was just interesting to walk along. The 9th of July Avenue is fairly close too.

It was also close to several parks and squares. La Recoleta Cemetery is within walking distance although it is a long but interesting walk. The cemetery itself is a "must see" for its uniqueness as well as it being the burial place of Eva Perón.

The hotel staff were great. They were friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor and faced Paraguay Street. I found it quiet and had no problem sleepi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Snohomish
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The location of the hotel was excellent. The rooms where good. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Breakfast was included with our room but was terrible. It appeared that everyone ate in the same dining room and had the same breakfast. Complaints were often heard. All bread products were flavorless and did not seem fresh. Fruit that wasn't fresh and cold cereal were the other breakfast choices. Service was poor.
After arriving home from our trip in South America the Melia Hotel had charged our credit card an additional amount. We have no idea what the charge was for since we purchased nothing additional and our room and breakfast were prepaid. I have emailed the Melia Hotel and never received a response. We stayed at the Melia in January 2013 but I waited until March to write this review to see if Melia would respond to my email. We have stayed in other Melia Hotels and have been satisfied but would not return to this hotel or recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the street in front. It was not noisy at all. We enjoyed looking down on t...
Skien, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We are family, 2 adults and 12 years old child. We stayed in Melia BA 4 nights in February 2013. Localisation is good. Hotel is clean, staff is very friendly and helpful. Good breakfast but nothing special.Nothing to complain. I can recommend Melia BA to other visitors.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
East Anglia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were booked into the Melia by our tour operator as part of an Antarctic trip so didn't pick it ourselves. We weren't expecting character or charm, but we would have liked a better breakfast and more helpful staff. We had a continual problem with our room card entry and found the reception staff less than sympathetic during our irritatingly frequent trips back downstairs to resolve this.

Otherwise, the hotel is quiet, well located within walking distance of most things you'd want to visit and handy for bars and restaurants, most rather touristy. As others have mentioned, several of our group were mugged (bird poo or snatch attacks) so we certainly wouldn't describe the area as safe, but perhaps nowhere is in the city if you look like an obvious tourist. Just wise up and don't wear watches, jewellery or tote a camera.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Melia Buenos Aires Hotel? Share your experiences!