“Amazing Staff - don't believe the other reviews !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Buenos Aires Hotel

You added Melia Buenos Aires Hotel to your Saves list
Melia Buenos Aires Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Reconquista 945 | Centro, Buenos Aires C1003ABS, Argentina   |
Ranked #62 of 436 Hotels in Buenos Aires
FOUNTAIN HILLS
“Amazing Staff - don't believe the other reviews !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were at Melia Buenos Aires for 5 days in late November, 2012. We have traveled all over the world since 1966 and this is one of the finest hotels in which we've ever stayed. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, courteous, or gone out of their way to assist my every wish and need. They knew my name within minutes of my arrival. We were impressed. I speak NO SPANISH, which they accepted with a smile and spoke perfect English to me, even interpretting some local things for me.They changed money at the current Rate. The Business Center's Internet worked perfectly every time we needed it, and most of all, the elevators came quickly - we had an 8th floor, corner room. We felt like Royalty. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Buenos Aires for any reason. A local B.A. friend told us that it is in a fine, superior neighborhood and close to his favorite Steakhouse, AL CARBON, which he said was the best steakhouse in Buenos Aires. I can't understand the other reviews I read about this place prior to writing this one. They don't sound AT ALL like the place we stayed in during our recent stay in Buenos Aires. This is a top drawer hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms like we had are HUGE, sunny, and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
Bremen, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel surprised me. I expected a Melia to be better than this. Let me start with the upside: Room was fairly large and the bed was good. At check in I was given a room at the 7th floor. As soon as I got out of the elevator I sensed that something was wrong: It reeked of tobacco - even in the corridor. When I opened the door to my room, it was clear to me that I could not stay there. The smell of old tobacco smoke nearly knocked me over. I went back down to the reception and was able to change to another room on a non-smoking floor. I told the reception that they should ask people if they wanted a smoking section room or not. I was told that the hotel operated an oposite practice - that if you said nothing your were assigned a smoking room and that it was my choice whether to smoke or not in my room. I consider this an odd policy. The hotel charges nearly GBP 10 per day for WIFI, which is rather expensive. It is strange how still some very few 5-star hotels charge for internet-use, while it is normally free in 3 and 4 star hotels. In other areas of the tourism-industry, the more you pay - the more you get included - not so at the Melia Buenos Aires. The week before I stayed at another 5-star hotel in Buenos Aires, the Claridge. When I asked here about internet, they answered: "Of course we have free WIFI - we are a 5-star hotel SIR !" So to the breakfast: The breakfast-room was pretty crowded and the staff tried to get guests to leave as soon as possible: They cleared the table imediately if you left the table to get something more from the buffet. I left my bag on the table to signal that I was returning, but before I could get back, table was given to another guest and my bag was put at the headwaiters desk as left behind. The food at the breakfast buffet was OK - and I would classify it as 3-star. So to the environment: The Melia has (as most hotels these days) a small note saying that we all should save the environment by saving water by not producing to much linen to be washed. A good policy. But at the same time the hotel has placed Evian-water from the french Alps on desk and in bathroom, with a note saying that your body needs 2 litres of water per day. The water bootle in my room was passed its "use by date" which indicates that very few guests must have found this water-offer of nearly GBP 4 per bottle attractive. But why carry water half way across the globe at all, if you are so concerned about the environment ? Other hotels in Argentina offered us good local mineral water when I travelled the country. From the outside the Melia looks modern, inside the rooms the style is brass and mahogany with checkered carpets and feels rather dated and without the style of a real old hotel. An upside is that it is located on a kind of semi pedestrian street with little traffic - allthough this meant that some (but not all) taxidrivers insisted on stopping a block up the road.

Room Tip: Be aware that you might be assigned a smokers room withour asking for it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Winchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My cousin and I changed dollars here and subsequently found they were forged. As we did not change money anywhere else it led to us talking to the manager who was particularly unhelpful. We then spent all afternoon at the police station. Be very careful here.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

This was my secon time staying at the Melia BA. I've only ever stayed on the renovated side so I can't speak for the rest but the rooms are great! I have no complaints whatsoever except for the Internet. You have to pay additional forthr Internet and it can only be used on one device. Other than that I have no complaints. The breakfast is amazing and the staff are always there to help. I would definitely stay at the Melia again in the future and would recommend it to anyone I know going to BA.

• Stayed November 2012
West Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently spent one week in Buenos Aires and stayed 4 days at this property prior to travelling to Iguazu Falls. The property is located in an excellent location with many pedestrian friendly streets. We walked to many of the "must see" highlights of this beautiful city and cabs were easily available when we ventured further. Getting a room facing the back is highly recommended. There really are no views so what your missing in the back is the noise from the streets below. This should be no surprise as Buenos Aires is a busy city that really gets going after 9 p.m. Our room in the new section, facing the back, on an upper floor (the higher the better) was great. We found the front desk employees to be very friendly and helpful at all hours of the day. While we read other comments critisizing the breakfast however we had only good service and food each day. Comparing notes with other friends and people we met while there, this hotel is clearly superior to most.

Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our experience was pretty good overall. Very nice rooms, amazing location allowed us to go anywhere, and employees seemed very nice. Breakfast was not that good. We liked the food, but the waiters weren't really paying much attention to the guests. Great experience if you get your breakfast very early - not as good at peak time. You won't be disappointed though.

Why 3 stars then? Well, a couple weeks after we left, they charged our credit card for a small amount of money (I think it was 20 or 30 dollars). We didn't even pursue it, but this was very unusual. They basically took our money. I don't know who did this or why, and we didn't even pursue it (not really worth it to fight against a company from another country for 20 bucks), but we lost confidence in the place. We stayed in late 2011 - I was thinking about booking it again because it was a pretty good experience, but this bothered us a lot.

Since I didn't follow up with them on the matter and the rest of the experience was OK, I just took one star from the rating I would give them.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

what attracts you the most of this property is perhaps the location.. its just excellent, both as a tourist or even a business traveller. all the 'central' attractions of this beautiful city are at a walking / short taxi distance from the hotel. areas like La Boca are not too far either and the metro / train station is close by incase some one wishes to travel to the North of Buenos Aires. taxi's are generally safe in buenos aires and run by the meter. the hotel is situated near a 'walking plaza' which is great for walking / dining options with a mall / money exchange options. on weekdays during lunch time the area comes alive with the work force down for lunch.

as for the rooms, they are nice clean and big. breakfast is sumptuous and service precise and courteous. its a hint too expensive but probably its royalty for the location.

Airport: aeroparque is very close (maybe 15 -20 mins) whereas Ezeiza is almost an hour away.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Melia Buenos Aires Hotel? Share your experiences!