“Good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Buenos Aires Hotel

You added Melia Buenos Aires Hotel to your Saves list
Melia Buenos Aires Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Reconquista 945 | Centro, Buenos Aires C1003ABS, Argentina (Retiro)   |
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #75 of 441 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Because airspace was closed at the Valdes Peninsula (ashes coming from a Chilean volcano), we unexpectedly came back to BA and booked this hotel for 2 nights. Usually, I spend time on TA to identify the best possible choice, but this time as I had to book it in a hurry before leaving the hotel at our previous location. It was anyway a good choice, because it’s very central, with lot of bars, restaurants, shops and places to visit within walking distance. Room was fine, staff too, Melia is a good hotel.
Only downward, no free wifi available, a too often shame in our era.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

In September I booked on the Melia website a room for 3 nights in November and entered my credit card details for what I thought was just the usual guarantee. At that point it was not made clear on their website that they will charge me for the whole amount 3 more than months in advance, which they unfortunately did charge! I phoned the hotel to say I wish to pay at check-out (=the norm) and challenge their unusual practice to charge so quickly, especially as they didn't warn about it in advance and, the next day, that charge disappeared from my account and my bank said the money had been refunded. Therefore I cancelled the entire reservation as I was unhappy with this hotel's operating manner. A few days later I had the unpleasant surprise to find that the money had, again, been taken from my account by Melia hotel and now they refused to let us stay at the hotel for those 3 nights, saying the reservation was cancelled. How convenient for them, to charge the money >3 months in advance but not provide us with any services. I repeatedly contacted boh Melia Buenos Aires hotel and the Melia hotel chain head office but received useless or indifferent replies. Luckily my wonderful bank refunded me the money for the ilegitimate transaction that Melia Buenos Aires hotel carried out against my good will. Save yourself and stay in a different hotel, or else they will just treat you as a source of money but not as a person, they have no custmer service whatsoever!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I've stayed at the Melia several times on business and the location, while great during the day, rapidly deteriorates at night... it is the red light district and prostitutes regularly wait outside the hotel. As a female traveler I have never felt unsafe in the area even so (& even alone late at night) but I have had a prostitute steal my pizza outside! The rooms range from great to so-so. All of the views I've had are bad; my first room had a great bathroom, my latest (same room class) had a small bathroom and a cracked outside window. Room service was very poor and failed to clean the room several times. If the staff suspect that you speak English, even if your Spanish is fluent, they will speak to you in English. This is really inopportune, for example, the time that I sent a dress for dry-cleaning which had minor pilling on it (on the side where I carry my brief case); they kept the dress, though it should have been deliverd hours earlier, and left a note instead saying: "We are sorry, your dress is threadbare." While it came back just as I had expected, it caused me a lot of stress in the FOUR HOURS they took to track it down. On my latest visit we were somehow not listed as having breakfast included on days 4 and 5 though 1,2 & 3 had been included...all on the same breakfast-included reservation. I got yelled at by the guy at reception as if I were a thief. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are a good size, but if you are looking for good service or any sort of personal touch go elsewhere. You can do a lot better for the price. The towels in my latest room were on the other side of a large, slippery-floored bathroom, with no hooks nearby to hang them on...otherwise the bathroom was great.

Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I've been in this hotel in April with my wife and a couple of friends.
Positives: central location (although not the safest area of town), quiet rooms (and I'm a light sleeper) and one of the best and most complete breakfast in the city!
Negatives: standard rooms need immediate renovation as imho a hotel of this caliber should not have curtains in the bathroom, old TVs and armchairs with fabric torn. The pool was out of service during our stay... and we were not warned about it.

----------------------

Estive nesse hotel em abril com minha esposa e um casal de amigos.
Pontos positivos: localização central (apesar de não ser a região mais segura da cidade), quartos silenciosos (e eu tenho sono leve) e um dos melhores e mais completos cafés-da-manhã da cidade!!
Pontos negativos: os quartos standard precisam de renovação imediata, pois um hotel dessa categoria não deveria ter cortinas no banheiro, tvs antigas e poltronas com tecido rasgado.
A piscina estava fechada durante nossa estadia e não fomos avisados sobre isso...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed here for the last few nights of our honeymoon. When we told them at check in we were upgraded to a fabulous suite. The bathroom was huge and very luxurious.
Breakfast was the best we had after a month in Argentina - huge choice of deliciously fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, bacon and different kinds if bread.
The staff were very helpful and the location is excellent.
The only drawback was that we had to pay for wireless. It was quite expensive and didn't work great. We found this a bit annoying because we needed to get in touch with friends online and also check our flights home etc. We were used to having free wireless almost everywhere in BA. I suppose because it's a business hotel they can make money by charging for it.
Would definitely recommend this hotel and you can always go across the road for a drink and use the free wireless there!

• Stayed November 2011
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We recently held an event in the hotel convention centre, I cannot recommend the hotel and staff enough for their professionalism and willingness to accommodate during the event. The meeting facilities are good and the catering excellent.
Whether for business or pleasure the hotel is conveniently situated on a pedestrian street with many bars and restaurants nearby, lots with tables and chairs in the street great for people watching. I would recommend two nearby parrillas with great steak - El Estabon and Al Carbon, both just a minutes walk from the hotel.
As mentioned by others go for the room rate with breakfast included - this will set you up for the day.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the street if you like to watch what is going on. Not noisy unless you o...