“From the beds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alvear Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Alvear Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Alvear Palace Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Alvear 1891, Buenos Aires 1129AAA, Argentina (Recoleta)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 439 hotels in Buenos Aires
Atlanta
“From the beds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

This is your fantastic, classic, five star, old world, top of the line hotel. Probably one of the best I've stayed in, in this category. From the beds, to the towels, to the bathroom sundries, room service, to the staff, to the breakfast buffet, to the bar, nothing missed. La Bourgogne Restaurant was one of my top five restaurant experiences ever! If you've read my other reviews, I'm picky. We stayed here on the way to and from Antarctica, which I might add was amazing.
Hotel was in great location for walking around. Local craft market two blocks away. A must, the Opera House.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guet,

Thank you kindly for your review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Everything you mentioned, from the great service provided by our staff to the comfort and of our beds is exactly the experience we wish to create for you.

I am so glad you had a great experience with us and I look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards,

706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is a beautiful, "old world" type hotel with an outstanding staff who will take care of all your needs. The location is excellent, walking distance to most major sites and museums. The buffet breakfast is top notch. My only gripes were our junior suite view [on the even-numbered side of the hotel] was of the inner courtyard [really the interior of an entire city block so not claustrophobic] and thus faced the rather dull apartment buildings around the courtyard. I suspect the street side rooms might have had to contend with street noise and traffic [it's on a major intersection] so we did not request a room change. Also, the bathroom configuration [the result of a renovation of the entire hotel, I think] was not very practical for us. The commode and bidet shared a room with a tub and wall-mounted tv while the shower and sink area was cramped and movement impeded by dueling doors. Seemed like the tub could have been eliminated in favor of a double vanity but we managed. Otherwise, the hotel offered a very pleasant stay, comfortable bed and soft linens, windows that opened, fruit and water in the room each day. There is a spa, work out room and pool. The hotel has a map of jogging trails and will provide car service anywhere you want upon request.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed two nights before our cruise and had a wonderful experience. The staff was excellent and very helpful. One time I had to check email and the business center was closed. A staff member took me up and let me in. The concierges were very helpful in recommending a nearby restaurant for dinner and telling us how to get there on foot. The breakfasts and lunch were outstanding and delicious. The variety of the offerings was incredible. In my opinion, the Alvear Palace Hotel was better than the Grand Hotel in Stockholm.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to hear you had such a great experience here at the Alvear Palace Hotel! I am glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities in the hotel. It is nice to hear that you had such positive interactions with our hotel staff.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to comment about your most recent stay with us. Please feel free to reach out to me should your travels bring you back to Buenos Aires!

Kind regards,

Mission, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have stayed in some great hotels over the years. The Goring, the Milestone and 41 in London, the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal, the Hazelton in Toronto. All of them were exceptional.

The Alvear Palace is in the same league, with remarkable old-world charm that's fresh and unfaded and utterly attentive service. I worked with several concierges over the two night I stay there and all made me feel like my petty concerns were the center of the universe. They gave great advice on places to go and things to do.

Where the Alvear, to my mind, exceeds some of these other hotels is that not only their staff but their policies are remarkably hospitable. I was delayed for a day due to bad weather in Atlanta. No problem, I wasn't charged for my room. I wanted a late check out -- this was not a given but once they figured out that they could do it, there was no charge. A free shoe shine comes with the room. I also got other courtesies that usually, even at the best hotels, cost extra. I never once felt like I was being nickel and dimed. I loved the Goring -- and will go back -- but had to pay for internet access. Seriously? Never once at the Alvear did I have that unsettling feeling of: damn I paying a million dollars for this room and you want to charge me for (fill in the blank.)

The room itself was perfect, the bath room large and accomodating with Hermes toiletries. Gym and spa are very up to date (and when I was there empty...)

Perhaps the only slightly off note was that I from time to time found the bar staff not as on the ball as they might be. And this when bar wasn't crowded. But the bar is so amazingly beautiful (and the people-watching so first rate) I was easily able to occupy myself while I waited perhaps a bit too long to be served.

I don't know, something about the place made me feel lost in time, like a Borges story. You do feel like you've crossed some meridian when you walk through the door. But you come to this new place -- through the looking glass if you will -- and you don't want to return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

The Alvear had an old world charm in a magnificent setting The staff was exceptionally helpful and courteous especially the concierge. The rooms and bathrooms were very comfortable and well appointed. When I return to Buenos Aires I will surely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the five-star review! It is so good to hear that you enjoyed all of the amenities of the hotel and guest room. Thank you for choosing the Alvear Palace Hotel.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Kind regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is the most beautiful and elegant hotel that sweeps one back in time to an age of impeccable service and elegant entertainment and dining. We loved this hotel. Wonderful beds, linen, service, food and the bar is a must see.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review.

Lovely to hear that you had a great stay at the Alvear Palace Hotel!

We hope to see you soon !

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I had high expectations, I found it very average, but is a problem in all Porteño Hotels. People at the door not friendly, I had to look for taxis myself. Everytime we drove through the port cochere no one was there to open the door. The Concierge very professional. front desk just doing their job, nothing extra, no anticipation of needs, careless.
Rooms too traditional, I wont say is horrible, I would say is not my style.
At breakfast waiter brought me the check to sign, 10 minute after I started to eat, in the middle, I found lack of training in this area. the fine dining restaurant was really good, service is not up to par to the place and food they serve. I don't think I will come back, maybe I will try Alvear Art.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and sharing your concerns.

I apologize for not providing an excellent experience during your stay-I would be delighted if you contacted me at nsalvagno@alvear.com.ar so we may discuss your stay and enable us to do better in the future.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and hope you will return-if I can assist personally.

Warm regards,

Assistant to the General Manager

Been to Alvear Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!