“An Ibis gem in the heart of the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Buenos Aires

You added Ibis Buenos Aires to your Saves list
Ibis Buenos Aires
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hipolito Yrigoyen 1592, Buenos Aires 1089, Argentina (Montserrat)   |
Ranked #142 of 441 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Alicante, Spain
“An Ibis gem in the heart of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights before departing on a cruise. To be honest when we first walked through the door i thought we'd come into a hostel.The lady on reception was extremely friendly and welcoming and even took the trouble to get us a drink of water. We were given a very clean room on the 12th floor with amazing city views. The main road overlooking the bedroom window is busy but no noise whatsoever.The food in the hotel is of a very good standard and i had the best steak i have ever had in my life here. Christian the guy in the restaurant is extremely friendly and helpful.Breakfast here is the best Ibis breakfast we have ever had.Even without the special offer we got at booking, this is a little gem in the heart of the city. Would we stay here again? definitely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ibisCongreso, Manager at Ibis Buenos Aires, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Oh! We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Buenos Aires Congresso. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Accor Hotels - Ibis Buenos Aires Congreso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

All you would expect from an Ibis chain hotel. Great location and free Internet in the lobby. Always popular so book early. Nice helpful English speaking staff on reception. Buffet breakfast of magnitude.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ibisCongreso, Manager at Ibis Buenos Aires, responded to this review, February 14, 2013

Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been to this IBIS CONGRESO in Buenos Aires several times in the past few years because it offers a good value for money and is very well located, within a walking distance from the Obelisco and pedestrian streets of Lavalle and Florida. There is another Ibis closer to the Obelisco but I prefer this one because it has a wide open view thanks to the Plaza del Congreso, over which I always request a room on a high floor: 11th, 12th or 13th.

As in all Ibis hotels where I have slept in France, Austria, Brazil and Peru, there is a double bed (in some places they have a queen bed, like in Annecy Cran Gevrier for which I posted a review, but it no longer belongs to Ibis) with a tablet running under the window from wall to wall, the same wood chair without padding and a small bathroom with two towels and a hair dryer. There is also a telephone and a small LCD TV. NO frig or teapot. Basic, Spartan “comfort” for 450 pesos counter rate (almost $100). I paid half as much because I reserved in April 2012. But in Buenos Aires, like in Montevideo, prices keep going up thanks to the invasion of Brazilian tourists!

Buffet breakfast is an additional 32 pesos, about $6.50 (exchange was almost 5 to $1 in January 2013), which is a very good price for the quantity of items that you may have.

In short, at $50 US, this is an outstanding value for money in Buenos Aires. At $100… I would NOT go that far!

WARNINGS:

1) You may go to the airport by bus (bus number 8 –former 86 in the 1990s- will take you there for 5.50 pesos a/o January 2013) in two hours and twenty minutes from the terminal (which is only two blocks from the “Colonia Express” terminal, where you arrive from Uruguay by boat). Make sure the red sign in front of the door says “Aeropuerto” because there are several busses number 8 and only one every fifteen minutes goes there.
However, bear in mind that YOU NEED COINS to get on the bus because, unlike Uruguay, where bus drivers carry money and give you the change, in Argentina, like in Miami, bus drivers carry no money. You must therefore put your coins in a machine which does not take bills! The problem is that NOBODY HAS COINS and I had to consume in several restaurants and cafes before I could gather the 5.50 pesos necessary to go to the airport.
Also, by the time bus number 8 gets to the Congreso, where this Ibis is, it is already almost full at 2 pm. The solution is to take it in the opposite direction (on the same side of the street where this Ibis is) and pay an extra 3.50 (in COINS!) to go to the terminal, where you can take it empty and get the very best seat of all: a single seat after the second door on the left hand side of the bus.
The journey from end to end will take you 2h20, but since you must leave the hotel by 12 noon (2 pm if you are an Elite member of Accor A Club) and the first flight to Miami leaves at 9:15 pm, you have plenty of time to do so. The best moment is before 3 pm in order to avoid rush hours, which start already by 4 pm, just as in Miami.

2) Get a CHINESE AC system adapter to go to Argentina now!!!
Until my previous trip to this Ibis, in June 2010, they had the international European AC outlets that I have found not only all over Europe (except in the UK but those guys are special…) but also in all South American countries that I have visited: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Peru and Uruguay. This is the well known system with two round holes side by side, for which you will find an adapter at every corner in Miami and in all big cities.
However, on this last trip in January 2013, I noticed that this worldwide spread system had recently been changed to another one that I have never seen in any of the countries that I have visited since 1947, from Hawaii to New Dehli, including Africa and Istanbul! This system has two flat openings, similar to the US one, BUT instead of being vertical side by side, they are inclined forming an “A” or, I should rather say: a “V” upside down.
Although I had never seen this system in any country, I do know it because I have an adapter that came in a kit (that I never take with me because of that!) which says: “China” and “New Zeland”, where I have never been.
When I complained to the front desk clerk, she told me that they had been forced to change the system last year in order to comply with a new law from Mrs. Kirchner’s government.
At the age of “globalization”, instead of keeping the widespread European system that they had before, the Argentinean government decides to change to the Chinese standard… Very smart! Do they ever eat fish?

Room Tip: Request a room from X01 to X04 on a high floor: 10th, 11th, 12th or 13th (there is only a 1401 on th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Central location and we walked to all the attractions. Friendly staff and helpful they were.

Check out Ugi's pizza if you are going to Bs As. Best pizza ever for a petite price. Taste some alfajours - buy them from a specialty store, and you get to pick different types. Also buy a jar of "milk jam" (dulce de leche) and try it on toast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

It was our second time at Buenos Aires (Feb 2012, sorry little late to post) and both opportunities we stayed on this hotel, Ibis Congresso. Very well located to do a good sight-seeing walk, as well as one of the Bs As Free walking City Tours starts at Plaza del Congreso, almost in front of the hotel. At the early morning for sure you will see some dog walkers and their nice dogs walking around and playing at the plaza. The breakfast buffet (usualy not included) is good and has a good variety to get the energy to start the day, but we also recomend some very near coffee shops were you can have a combination of coffee/tea, fresh orange juice and very good bread (toasts and medialunas, the argentinean croissant), for example going out of the hotel, take right as going to the Av de Mayo subway, and just couple stores after the hotel you will see a very small coffee shop that is also a bakery (panaderia), where everything we tried tasted so good! Of course, unfortunately, as in many other countries, we have seen several homeless people in the downtown area, what is sad and not beautiful to see, but they seem harmless (at least we didn't see or listen anything about). If you like riding a bike we also recomend a tour with the "la bicicleta naranja" (the orange bike), you can rent and have a really nice time (as the yellow ones are only for citizens)! And last tip, if you like icecream as me, don't miss the very good argentinean ice cream, not only at the famous ones, but for example at Winpy just in front of the hotel, across the Plaza del Congresso.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'v been in the Ibis hotel twice, both were great, the staff was helpfull, the rooms were nice and clean, the location is conviniant and it was goos value for my money. Do note that some rooms are fairly small while other are big.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ibisCongreso, Manager at Ibis Buenos Aires, responded to this review, November 8, 2012

I hope see you in your next stay!
Marcela R. Iturbruu
wabush labrador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

this was my first visit to argentina. I travel to enjoy the local flavor, spend little time in my hotel room but love a good location and a clean room. Ibis Congresso was perfect. First of all it was in a location that let me walk to major areas, adjacent to the congreso, and a pleasant walk to the centre near the obliesk , and the pink palace, if you enjoy a good walk recoleta and the cemetary plus the park area is a pleasant day trip. the staff at ths hotel is outstanding , always ready to help with information , always a warm and friendly welcome , when you come into the hotel or restaurant...i loved the fact that the staff realized that i wanted to improve my spanish and helped me ....gracias ...if you travel like i do ,, to experience a city , but do not need luxury, but a clean comfortable room in a good location ..at a good price..this is it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Makes me happy to know that ibis Congreso has been part that your stay was good as you broadcast to your comments!
I will share with our team!
Gerente General

Been to Ibis Buenos Aires? Share your experiences!