“Excelente!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 343 Activities in Buenos Aires
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Vamos Spanish Academy is a well-rounded Spanish language school perfectly located in the dynamic Palermo neighborhood in Buenos Aires. Our small group classes and our own customized materials allow students to truly practice and learn in a clear, relevant and effective way. The many activities and workshops take you outside the classrooms and live the language! The school is also very eco-friendly and runs various donation initiatives so students can participate and help make a difference while learning Spanish and traveling in Argentina.
New York City, New York
“Excelente!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We took private lessons with Mercedes who was brilliant, so patient and generous. The course material was great and we enjoyed doing homework! A couple of complete beginners, we wanted to be able to get around, communicate in taxis, restaurants, bars and with the friendly folk of BsAs. The school offered us everything we needed. The classrooms are a little rustic but it all adds to the charm. Kat was brilliant at fitting us in, around our other plans and we couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Visited August 2013

Buffalo, New York, United States
“Welcoming and exciting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Over my past 4 weeks, I have excelled far beyond what I thought I would achieve. Having learn past, present and future, I feel prepared and confident to actively (try to!) engage with the locals and will take my new skills throughout South America.

Visited July 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The overall experience has been excellent. The school is well run, and the class is fun and engaging. I enjoy the variety of teaching methods and having a porteña to speak with. I would have preferred that the group class went faster, but ''eso lo es''. I will be back when I know more vocabulary.

Visited August 2013
Florence, Alabama
“Top-notch classes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The school is in a really charming old building, but what I really liked about this place was the quality of the classes. I'm an ESL teacher so I would go so far as to say that I'm an expert on teaching foreign languages, and I was really impressed with the academic director and the materials used in the school. The academic director prepared all of the materials herself, so you're not just working page-by-page out of a textbook, and they use a lot of games, audio and video activities, and the teachers keep you interested and engaged in the class, it's not just lecture and notetaking. I took the group classes and they limit the classes to 6 people, but there were just 3 other students in my class (4 in total). I really felt that even though some of us had different strengths and weaknesses (some people could speak with greater ease, other got the grammar more quickly), we were all at the same level and needed to be working on the same topics. It was a great experience and I would definitely return.

Visited May 2013
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 attraction reviews
“Friendly Environment to Learn Spanish in Bs As”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

What can I say about Vamos? My boyfriend and I took 12 weeks of classes here in early 2013. Our goal was simple: we wanted to learn Spanish living in South America. After 3 months of 20-hours a week group classes we are now very confident in our ability to read, write, speak and, for the most part, understand (Argentines have a very peculiar accent!).

The best part about Vamos, from a student point of view, is the teaching staff. Most of the teachers are University of Buenos Aires students. All of them are very bright, many study linguistics and literature, and every one is good at, well, teaching. I had 4 teachers in my 12 weeks and each one was excellent. For a few weeks I was the only student at my level so they put me into one-on-one lessons with an instructor; the teachers are great at teaching both group and private lessons. With all my time there I met more than a few students who tried out other schools and were disappointed with the teachers. Every last one of them was thrilled with the teachers here, as I was.

From an academic point of view, the material is exceptionally helpful and conducive to learning. Vamos does not use a textbook; you get a looseleaf sheet for every topic. The material is assembled by the academic director who makes a specific lesson plan each week for each group. Do people in the class have issues with pronouns? imperfect vs. indicative? The teacher will focus on that topic for you, with supporting material. At a more advanced level I asked to go over the various uses of "se" in Spanish, a tricky topic. The academic director put together a lesson plan and we spent a whole day on it. Also, though I took classes in the busy summer months I never had a class with more than 4 students in it.

Last, but certainly not least, the staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. Kat and Ingrid were life savers in many occasions, answering all the necessary beginners questions when living in a new city. They also organize weekly movies and workshops, like how to drink mate, how to spot fake money, and how to use the bus sytem, which were invaluable and interesting! Not only that, they alert you to cultural events. They informed us of a international polo match going on, which several of us went to (for the first time) and had a blast!

If you're going to study Spanish in Bs As, study at Vamos. Not a single person I met who studied at Vamos and was interested in seriously learning Spanish was dissatisfied. If I wasn't moving on to another country I would still be there taking classes. It was the highlight of my 4-month experience in Argentina.

Visited April 2013