“Good place to eat. Excellent preparation.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Rivas

Cafe Rivas
302 Estados Unidos, Buenos Aires 1101, Argentina (San Telmo)
4361-5539
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #191 of 3,007 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Telmo
Flushing, new york
“Good place to eat. Excellent preparation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The staff was very good, though their English was limited. My waitress was as helpful as she could be. My salmon was prepared to perfection. Three men at the table next to me were more linguistically challenged than myself. I helped them with their selections. All three said they were more than satisfied which their meals. The cafe is on the small side , but they make use of every inch of the interior. They have seating above the main floor over the bar. About three or four small table for two each. I would say cozy and romantic best describes that area. The lighting and dark wooden wall gave the place a warm and comfortable atmosphere. Pricing was reasonable.
Dinner service starts at 8PM. If you come on a Tuesday night at 8PM and finish just before 9PM you can take in the "Gringo Stand Up Comedy Show" in the upstairs lounge. So in one place you can make a whole night of it. See my review.

• Visited March 2013

Aarhus, Denmark
“Nice and relaxed cafe with kindly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We went there 3 times at our4 days i BA - 2 for dinner once for lunch. Food were fine but we went there for the atmosphere and the friendly staff. Nice and relaxing place to enjoy you dinner. The food is worths the money.

ottawa
“Best of the bistros in Buenos Aires”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Wandering off the tourist track in San Telmo, I came upon this corner-side café/restaurant, looking from the outside much like a Parisian bistro, all glass and polished brass and polished wood, with linen on the tables. I sat in a corner table and enjoyed what might have been my second-best beef in Buenos Aires (and this is a red meat city). Staff were helpful and professional, and very polite about my awful Castellano. I enjoyed it sufficiently that I came back twice when I was in Buenos Aires-- I tried the marinated sardines and the chicken salad on another occasion, and they were both very good. I noticed that they had ample provision for vegetarians on the menu. Generally, restaurant staff in Argentina are very good, but the Café Rivas servers were an admriable blend of friendly and professional, keeping an eye on the table for anything which might be needed, while not bothersome. However, they do not take credit cards (why?), so bring cash. Prices were moderate, and the diner gets very good value here, along with a pleasant evening in an agreeable, stress-free, environment.

• Visited February 2013
“great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

charming old world restaurant. Great service and food. I didn't have a visa credit card - only a master card - which meant I had to come back the next day and pay cash - they didn't even write down my name - surprising!

Visited March 2013
Fort Lauderdale
“Charming Place, San Telmo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a very comfortable restaurant, for drinks, coffee or a meal. It is a relatively small place with tables on two levels, the balcony only having 5 tables. The menu contains many interesting dishes, even ones for Vegans, of which I am one.

• Visited March 2013