“Great way to spend an afternoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 242 activities in Buenos Aires
Type: Walking tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: ESTA VISITA GUIADA ES EN Ingles!!! The San Telmo Art & History Walk is a 3-hour guided walking tour through Buenos Aires' oldest and most bohemian barrio. Graffiti. Galleries. Art. History. Culture. Open your eyes in Buenos Aires.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Texas
48 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend an afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We found this tour by searching Trip Advisor for things to do in BA. It sounded interesting and so we decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a "private tour" as the other people that had signed up canceled so we set off with Rick to tour San Telmo. The tour was thoroughly enjoyable and a great mix of street art, some history, a visit to a memorial for the "disappeared" under the freeway, among other interesting insights about this neighborhood. The street art is definitely the highlight and it was really fun to begin to recognize some of the artists different styles as well as to hear about how quickly the street art can go up and also how quickly it can be painted over. We certainly both felt more well informed about the nature of street art by the time the tour concluded. We typically spend a lot of time in museums looking at art, so it was a lot of fun to be outside on a gorgeous day and learn about a different kind of art that clearly attracts very talented artists. I can highly recommend this tour as a great way to learn about this neighborhood. Be sure to wear your good walking shoes!

Visited March 2013

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“'the art form aware of its mortality'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've lived in Buenos Aires for a while. I've walked through San Telmo a couple times. After walking with rick last Satruday, it'll never be the same. Now I know the ongoing stories that it's citizens are painting on it's civil surfaces, recognize when one gang steps on the toes of an artist or vice versa, and see how the art, form, and territory have changed over the years like a retrospective show except on going and the faces of their own neighborhood. This tour is not about tags. If anything the tags are pointed out as forming a sort of underbrush and frame for a larger center-piece, or as if the tagger had farted whilst the artist was reciting poetry. The tour was very comprehensive and cumulative so that by the end we were recognizing some of the major artists and probably digging their work. Now I can walk through and see what's new: who's painting what and who's painting on who.

While focusing on street-art, rick also talked a lot about some of the notable buildings in town, the ones which i've always kind of just looked at and said, that's cool. and about the history of the burro including the dark underbelly (underbridge) chapter as well. Overall, I'm a lot more informed about and intrigued by the area . Oh yeah and we went to a museum. About that I'll just say I hope the show's better when you go on the tour than when I did.

Visited March 2013
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
“Great way to experience San Telmo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Rick provides a wonderful lens to really see San Telmo and what it is all about. The tour could not have been more personable and enjoyable. It has our highest recommendation.

New York City, New York
“Nice way to walk San Telmo with a purpose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Unfortunately we were not wowed by the street art on this occasion and felt the tour could have been more engaging. We felt it lacked the passion / enthusiasm of some guided tours we've been on and you often could not hear things that were said at the front, if you were stuck walking at the back. We didn't love the modern art gallery stop either (apart from the break from the heat!) as we prefer street art to modern art. All in all, we're very happy we did it, but it didn't live up to our expectations. That said, from the other review, it seems like everyone else has thoroughly enjoyed it, so maybe it was just us :)
Also quite a pricey tour.

JuaneleAR, Owner at San Telmo Art Walk, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thanks for your mostly even-handed review. I'm sorry the tour wasn't up to your expectations. It *was* a very hot day and I don't think anyone was at their best. Particularly me. I had just come off chemotherapy and was anticipating a major surgery that coming Monday so I was probably a bit off my game. Plus, I rarely have tours so big and they're very hard to wrangle. On the other hand, in 4 years of giving the tour, the word most people use to describe me as a guide has been "passionate," so you folks are definitely alone in that one. I do know that tours go much better with guest participation which is usually very good. My review of your group would also be unengaged. Further, I can't control the exhibitions in the museum, I'm afraid. However, I think it's pretty cheeky to complain about the price when you were given two opportunities to review the price and the offer of a discount, which you did not take advantage of. You are Americans abroad. $28 is not a lot of money to give someone trying to support himself while fighting cancer. I hope your stay in Buenos Aires was filled with more rewarding activities.
Brasilia, DF
“See San Telmo in a New Way---Not to be Missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

After spending a few days in San Telmo on our own, we were very pleased to take this tour with Rick, who is so knowledgeable about the interesting street art which is all around. This is much more than just an art tour, but a great way to better understand this most interesting of BA's neighborhoods.

We are usually not big fans of organized tours, but this is simply a great way to have a 3-hour conversation with Rick and emerge a lot smarter than we previously were. Thanks Rick!

Visited February 2013
JuaneleAR, Owner at San Telmo Art Walk, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thanks so much for the review! I had a great time answering questions. Conversation is key and there's lots to talk about in San Telmo.