“An absolute must!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 343 Activities in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: A "Pay What You Want" tour, Buenos Aires Local Tours, is a great introduction to the past and present of Buenos Aires. You'll travel by public bus, subway and foot to see the Buenos Aires most tourists miss. Visiting Abasto, Congreso and Plaza de Mayo and it's the perfect way to get to know the city as a local does. Run by English & American expats, there are regular group "Pay What You Want" tours, and a private custom tour service is also available if you would like to visit other areas such as Recoleta (& the cemetery), La Boca or San Telmo.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“An absolute must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My friends and I took Jonathan's walking tour shortly after arriving in Buenos Aires. What a wonderful surprise! Knowledgeable, witty and organized, Jonathan is a fabulous storyteller, mixing facts, anecdotes, and urban legends. We all highly recommend Jonathan.

Toronto, Canada
“Started my BA visit off right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I can't say enough about BA Local Tours -- I arrived alone before my friends, speaking no spanish, and wondering how to occupy my first day - the answer? Jonathan and his tour. I hired him for a couple of hours for a private tour of Recoleta Cemetery, then joined him on his free tour. It was the perfect way to get oriented in a new city. Best of all - he takes public tranist, and explained the crazy BA bus system! We hired him again the following day to take us to La Boca and San Telmo. He was a great resource even after the tour, email us restaurant suggestions. Our only regret was we werent able to join him for Pub Quiz. Next time!

Visited December 2012
“One of best travelling experiences... Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to go on the free daily tour and also booked with Jonathan to go to Boca aftrwards. I cannot rate this experience highly enough. My only problem was that we did not do this sooner into our stay!
He was a wealth of knowledge but not one second was boring, stuffy or dull - the whole tour showed not only how much Jonathan obviously loves this incredible city - despite it's sometimes-madness! - but also how interesting and quirky Buenos Aires itself is.
We had a great time riding on the buses with the locals, learning the minutiae of what makes the city so unique, and talking about Porteno life, politics and culture. Definitely the best way to experience a city is to hang out with a local, albeit an adopted one, so your sightseeing isn't aimless. There is too much to do and learn in Buenos Aires to go into it with no clue, and the Congreso means so much more when you also get to hear the story of the over the top windmill cafe next to it. He was also extremely patient with my irritating shutterbug habit.
If you do only one thing in Buenos Aires on your visit here, make sure this is it. Thanks again so much Jonathan!!!

“Great intro to BA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Jonathan's tour was great - it was really good to incorporate public transport as we got to see some diverse areas of Buenos Aires. Deciphering the bus schedules was worth it alone :) he is clearly quite interested and passionate about various aspects and the tour kept moving at a good pace. We have done another free walking tour in BA but the group size was huge and we spent a lot of time at each stop, meaning we didn't cover much ground. We preferred this tour over the other one.

The sun/heat gets strong during the day so bring some water, hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.

Sydney, Australia
“amazing tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This tour is very carefully designed and Jonathan's story telling skills are amazing. We chose to do it on our first day in BA and it was the best time we had there. Recommend this tour without any reservation. Thanks Jonathan!