“Tastefully furnished immaculate home to stay in Buenos Aires” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bed and Breakfast Ada & Valentyn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
Bed and Breakfast Ada & Valentyn
You added Bed and Breakfast Ada & Valentyn to your Saves list
Adolfo Alsina y Bolivar, Buenos Aires 1087, Argentina (El Centro)   |
Ranked #5 of 249 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
“Tastefully furnished immaculate home to stay in Buenos Aires”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We immensely enjoyed our stay at this bed and breakfast centrally located around the corner from Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires. Beautifully furnished rooms as illustrated in the pictures on Trip Advisor a very comfortable stay. Beds are firm and they have very fair house rules to keep the accommodation in its current pristine condition. The welcome letter with the housed rules is personalised with your names which is a nice touch. It is also a nice reference point for the restaurant recommendations Valentyn referred us to in our welcome introduction.

Breakfast consists of fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice to start accompanied by a selection of home made bread (they bake it themselves) served with raspberry jam, marmelade, and dulce de leche. There is usually also something sweet on the side (cookie, cake etc).

The option to experience tango in its truest sense (the way locals dance it rather than at a touristic tango show) was the cinch for us when booking this accommodation and our experience certainly didn't let us down. Admittedly in BA people stay up a lot later (arriving at 10pm at the tango venue felt like we arrived for dinner at 5pm in the US or Australia). The tango place only hit it off at around 2am and we were left wondering how the many old old people (50-80s) were still tango-ing strong at that time. If you do choose to go along to the tango night out, I would highly recommend a decent nap before hand. We left at 3am feeling that we left a little early. Apparently it goes til 5-6am quite easily.

Check out is 12pm, but they tend to give you until 2pm to store your bags at the accommodation. Any time after that I think you need to take your bags with you as I think they might have experienced some difficulties with allowing other guests to store their bags there past that time.

Also, if you plan to go to La Boca, definitely take the 29 bus rather than the 130. We ended up taking the 130 instead as we started off in San Telmo rather than home which leaves you in a not so comfortable area of La Boca! During the day it was fine, but prob not at night!

Sunday market literally on the doorstep of you home was the highlight of our trip. I'd allow for 2-3 hours if you're a keen browser/photographer

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Buenos Aires was my first international travel experience, and I spent two weeks at Ada and Valentyn's Bed and Breakfast..i couldn't have asked for a better experience. By the end of the trip, I felt so welcomed and so comfortable that if I had decided to just move to Buenos Aires permanently, I think it would have been perfectly fine. The breakfasts in the morning's were excellent, with the best coffee I've ever had. The location is superb, putting you within a stones throw of some of the oldest churches in Latin America, and the Plaza de Mayo, center of Argentine government, absolutely buzzing with life almost 24 hours a day. The real jewel, however, is Ada and Valentyn and their amazing generosity and passion for good friends and good living..I look forward to my return to Buenos Aires..:)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I wish I could give more than 5 stars! We had such a wonderful stay at this B&B. Ada & Valentyn were incredibly helpful and kind-making suggestions on places to eat, visit, etc. Our flight out of BA was cancelled and they allowed us to come back at a moments notice for another night's stay. Valentyn also assisted us in figuring out the situation and making arrangements to reschedule our flight. Their B&B is very nice, clean, beautifully decorated. It is very quiet and peaceful-very homey. Breakfast is very good-fresh squeezed juice, homemade bread. The location is perfect with easy access to everything in BA. I would definitely recommend this wonderful gem to anyone visiting BA.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I can't recommend this place enough! Ada and Valentyn were wonderful hosts and so helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The hotel is in a great location and remarkably quiet, the rooms are a good size and absolutely spotless. Breakfast was delicious, I only wish I could have eaten more. Ada and Valentyn took all the guests to their tango club on Friday night and this was was a real highlight of my trip. If I could give them 6 stars I would!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Ada and Valentyn are absolutely lovely people! Staying at B&B Ada and Valentyn, upon reflection, was my favorite thing about Buenos Aires! I stayed with them for a week and took tango lessons from Ada with Valentyn as a partner. Valentyn speaks perfect English and Ada is expressive enough that you understand each other very well!

Among B&Bs, the styles range from hostel to hotel-type accommodations. At B&B Ada and Valentyn, you are truly staying in someone’s home, with all the considerations normally attached to this type of situation. Ada and Valentyn are warm and extremely helpful – they treat their guests as friends, even taking groups to their favorite restaurants and milongas (tango dance halls) in the city. Valentyn makes fresh bread for breakfast and they serve the best coffee in Argentina (where a café con leche is basically a cappuccino). There are several floors, beautifully restored in a historic building, and security is taken seriously – there is a key to your room, the floor you’re on, and the outer door of the building. Cleanliness is also very important and every part of this B&B is spotless – good luck finding that in South America elsewhere! It’s few and far between, my friends. There’s free wifi as well; the signal is not particularly strong, but there are several cafes nearby where it is free and you don’t have to ask for the contrasena (password).

This location is conveniently walkable for every (notable) part of Buenos Aires except Palermo and La Boca, but Palermo is only a 10-15 minute train ride and there is a stop very close to the B&B. Also, you’re not supposed to go into La Boca unless you go with a tour and it’s very easy to do.

If you are looking for a clean, cozy, and comfortable place to stay, Ada and Valentyn will welcome you with open arms!

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room with a private bathroom the next door down. The single room had a twin be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I don’t usually use clichés like “Home away from home,” but that’s exactly how I felt at this B & B. It was a sanctuary in the heart of the city – extremely quiet, peaceful, clean, and serene. You will NOT find another place this wonderful at this price in Buenos Aires.

I suppose it’s not for everyone – some people like cable television and hotel breakfast buffets, or they want to stay in a trendier neighborhood such as Palermo. But I adored this place. It’s on 2 floors of an old, beautiful building – other reviewers have noted the very high ceilings and hardwood floors. Unlike a number of old buildings in which I’ve stayed, this one has been renovated to include modern amenities, including fully-functioning plumbing, plenty of hot water, wi-fi, and a good electrical system (I counted about 12 outlets in one of the single rooms in which I stayed!).

Ada and Valentyn were hard-working, gracious, considerate, caring hosts who helped out in every way they could. Guests who wanted to be left to their own devices were fine, but those of us who wanted to “join the family” were delighted to do so. I was pretty independent – this was my 4th trip to Argentina, I have a feel for the city, and I had Spanish classes that took up most of my weekdays. But A & V helped me with taxis, gave me change for the buses and advice when needed, and invited me to join the groups of guests going to dinner one night and to tango milongas (dance venues) on other nights. I did not avail myself of tango lessons, but this was my first visit to an “authentic,” non-tourist milonga, and I loved watching Ada and Valentyn and the other dancers. I had a great time engaging in multilingual conversations with A & V and the other guests – in the 10 days I stayed there, I met folks from Australia, Austria, England, Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, Mexico, and the US. I spoke Spanish with Ada and mostly English with Valentyn, although he’s fluent in Dutch and Spanish (and perhaps other languages).

The location is ideal for sightseeing; the B & B is in Microcentro, within walking distance of many of Bs As’ interesting neighborhoods, including Montserrat, San Telmo, Retiro, and Puerto Madero. It’s 2 blocks from the Plaza de Mayo, less than a block away from the Feria de San Telmo (the flea market/ antiques shops held each Sunday) on Calle Defensa, and directly across the street from a beautiful church, site of the first church built in Buenos Aires. The B & B is right next door to a wonderful used bookshop, the oldest bookstore in the city, and a block away from a laundry. It’s also very close to 3 subway lines, and a reasonable walk to the B line, which I took each morning to my Spanish school (quite quick and painless, as the trains going OUT of the city center are uncrowded at rush hour).

Breakfast is lovely – quite good continental style. As I’m a fan of US-style breakfasts (I need protein, such as eggs, in the morning), it wasn’t ideal for me. But the coffee was great, the orange juice very fresh, the bread homemade, the marmalades organic, and the scones and sweet bread from a good bakery – and the yogurt on weekends was a nice addition. They also provided fruit and filtered water in the little dining area so guests could fill water bottles (the city tap water has a lot of chlorine in it).

I stayed in 2 different rooms during my 11 nights there, and both were extremely comfortable, with good mattresses, large wardrobe cupboards, air conditioning units, and fans. The first room also had a sturdy table for my laptop computer so I could study for my classes. That room was unavailable on the last 2 nights, so I was given, at no extra charge, a room on the upper floor with a private bathroom next door. The rooms were nearly spotless, and fresh towels and room cleaning were provided daily. Décor is simple and attractive, with framed prints from old tango sheet music on many walls. The wi-fi worked well everywhere. Before arriving at Ada & Valentyn’s, I was paying the same rate per night for single hostel and hotel rooms in Montevideo and another town in Uruguay, and this B & B was a gorgeous palace compared to those places!

Some advice: bring flip flops or light slippers to wear indoors – the sidewalks of Buenos Aires can be filthy and it’s nice to leave street shoes inside the door of one’s room, and sandals or flip flops are quieter on the B & B’s hardwood floors.

There are pickpockets in the area, as there are in cities with many tourists, so it’s really best to take a taxi when arriving and leaving with luggage. I had no problems whatsoever when I went out with just a small backpack or bag – I remained alert in the neighborhood and took a taxi late at night, but did come and go at all hours by myself between 8 a.m. and 1 a.m. There were police around at various times, especially near the churches, where people were attending Easter and Holy Week services.

Now that I’ve discovered Ada and Valentyn’s, I’ll never have to look for another place to stay in Buenos Aires. I would’ve liked to spend a few more weeks there, but unfortunately I had to get home and go back to work. I can’t wait to return to their B & B!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

As you walk through the street level door and down the long corridor, you are transported away from the hustle of the city into another place altogether. This place deserves all the great reviews.

Ada and Valentyn are a lovely, hospitable couple, who really know how to run a b&b.

Our room was huge, the ceilings must be 12 feet high, very clean and cosy. There were two shared bathrooms, both immaculately clean and with the best showers!

The breakfast included fresh orange juice, coffee and home made breads. It was delicious.

The location is superb. You are only a couple of blocks from Plaza del Mayo and within walking distance of San Telmo. It's also well connected to the rest of the city.

The hosts were very helpful with booking restaurants, taxis, etc. They really make you feel welcome.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bed and Breakfast Ada & Valentyn? Share your experiences!