“Excellent service and gorgeous restaurant but VERY limited menu....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Algodon Club & Wine Bar at Algodon Mansion

Ranked #478 of 2,516 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Algodon Club & Wine Bar is a favorite destination for neighborhood locals and international crowds alike. Our unique wine list exemplifies the Argentinean wine portfolio, with emphasis on the premium and icon vintages of our own private collection from Algodon Wine Estates in Mendoza. Featuring a scrumptious menu presented by our Chef de Cuisine, our lounge's intimate atmosphere and chic Recoleta ambiance makes the perfect spot for business lunches, romantic dinners, after-office happy hours, or pre-nightlife aperitifs. Afterwards, head up to our rooftop Davidoff Lounge to enjoy an outstanding cocktail menu.Mon-Fri: 7:30 am - midnightSat-Sun: breakfast only
San Diego, California
1,359 helpful votes 1,359 helpful votes
“Excellent service and gorgeous restaurant but VERY limited menu....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

So last night we decided to kind of wing it and decide what we wanted to eat later in the day. I was in meetings all day and didn't know what time I'd get done so we didn't want to plan specific reservations anywhere. I got out of a meeting late with my lawyer at 8:30 PM by the time I got home.

It was raining last night and that's one of the only times it is difficult to get a taxi in Buenos Aires (along with Christmas and New Year's Eve). I ended up having my father in law take me to my lawyer's office.

We thought we'd go to the Park Hyatt as it's been a while since I've eaten at the Duhau Restaurante & Vionteca. (http://www.buenosaires.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-buenosaires-park/entertainment/index.jsp ) We tried calling for a while and it was incredibly frustrating that no one answers the phone in the restaurant. We even tried calling the hotel to patch us through. The hotel got through and said hold to connect but then they hung up. I can't understand restaurants that have this kind of poor service and don't answer the phone ever. Same thing happened at M.

We decided to just walk over and see as we are very close. We went over and they didn't have anything. They were totally packed in the restaurant with people standing waiting in the lobby. The other restaurant at the Park Hyatt was full as well.

We decided to try to eat at Chez Nous at the Algodon Mansion (http://www.algodonmansion.com/restaurant ). I haven't been here for a long time and it was a lunch that I ate. It was a bit frustrating that they say they have a downloadable menu on their website but I could never get it to download. So they probably fix that.

But then again, if they had the downloadable menu and I saw it before going, I probably wouldn't have gone to be honest. Their menu is VERY limited. I was quite surprised that a gorgeous restaurant of this calibre would have such a limited menu.

My wife doesn't eat much meat/pork/chicken and prefers fish and I figured there would at least be one fish dish but was surprised that much of their menu consisted of cheese plates or informal type food. For example, they had two appetizers on the menu. One was a cheese salad and the other was Empanadas (neither of which we were hungry for). Or they had small plates of an assorted cheese dish from Mendoza or another option was cheese and cold cuts or a quesadilla. HUH?

Their 3 primary (only) items on the menu were either steak (ojo de bife "rib eye"), chicken or pork. And side items included some grilled vegetables, potatoes or pureed carrots.

We asked our waitress if she could make a green salad with some tomatoes instead as we didn't want any of those appetizers. She happily agreed and brought out this HUGE salad which was good. They serve an assortment of warm breads with their own Olive Oil from their own vineyards and the Olive Oil was VERY good. So were the breads.

I got the Rib eye and my wife got the chicken which we both enjoyed. They were very tasty. Our waitress was excellent. The service here is absolutely wonderful and the restaurant is beautiful. The restaurant was fairly dead. There was only 2 other tables busy last night while we were there and everyone were tourists speaking English. No Porteños at all which typically isn't a good sign.

Absolutely the service and the food that we did get was great but really a restaurant of this calibre should have a bigger selection to choose from IMHO.

I've had the good fortune to have been around long enough in Buenos Aires to have seen this building go full circle from abandoned building back in 2003 when it was for sale to the gorgeous mansion that it is today. The place is absolutely beautiful.

• Visited March 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Nice for romance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The place is high end, and so are the locals who dine here, but the staff is quite nice and down to earth. The food is authentic amd the wine selection is grat. It is french food, so do not expect big sizes.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“High quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I thought this was a recommendable restaurant, with a good menu especially for those who like French cuisine. Excellent wine list also.

It is attached to the Algodon Mansion all-suites hotel, which is in an authentic French bourgeois style property in a charming area of Buenos Aires.

Good acoustics in the room with good table spacing, so you can actually have a normal conversation here. Red lighting (exaggerated in the photos) adds to the mood.

For Argentinian wines, the wine list is very good, which is as expected given the Algodon Mansion owner's association with the industry.

The food is professional, as is the service. An enjoyable evening.

• Visited December 2012
Buenos Aires
“The Real Deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I have always enjoyed the Buenos Aires restaurant scene and can honestly say that Chez Nous is one of the best amongst many fine establishments. From the moment we walked through the door we were treated warmly by the elegantly dressed staff. The small dining room was plush without being stuffy. Often, we are alienated by culinary temples with menus that become so esoteric that we can't find anything we actually want to eat (we are not snout to tail gourmands, we find offal awful, and we don't eat pets), but not the case here. The choices were all accessible while still being interesting. After we ordered we were treated to a parade of carefully prepared food served on interesting, but not silly, plates by lovely young ladies who had endearing smiles on their faces all the while. Nothing was mediocre. Nothing. The bread, the olive oil, the wine, all memorable. Special mention goes to the pork shoulder that melted in our mouths. The empanadas, normally a down market offering, proved a good chef can make the most routine food special. At the end of a wonderful evening we were presented with the check in a leather case.........drum roll please..........$99 out the door including the relatively generous tip. At the risk of sounding pompous, this meal would have cost us $200 in our home town of San Francisco, $300 in NYC, and we would have had to withdraw our daughter from University to pay the bill in Paris. Our only complaint: slobbishly dressed Americans at other tables. Come on folks, this restaurant deserves better! We are not snobs, but shorts and t-shirts? Really?

• Visited December 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent in all ways”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The food was the best we had in BA over 4 days by far. The service is very efficient and deserved. The prices were fair for the quality and the wine list featured some nice Argentinian picks. Would suggest to anyone.

Visited October 2012