“Mainly style of substance” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Buenos Aires

You added Hotel Pulitzer Buenos Aires to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Buenos Aires
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Maipu, 907 | (Esquina Paraguay), Buenos Aires C1006ACM, Argentina   |
Ranked #100 of 436 Hotels in Buenos Aires
London, United Kingdom
“Mainly style of substance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Hotel Pulitzer in Barcelona was fantastic so we booked a suite in Buenos Aires. We were disappointed.

We stayed here for three main reasons - the roof top bar, pool and location.

We were unable to use the roof top bar the majority of the time due to its popularity from non hotel residents. Which was a shame as we were able to hear the music that was been played in our hotel suite.

The pool was extremely cold and had I needed to clear it off dead leaves before use. It was also overlooked by local apartments.

Location was central and DaDa around the corner was a delicious bistro to spend an evening in.

A beautiful four poster bed dominated the suite framed by large windows offering the perfect vantage point to watch the lighting storm. This sat awkwardly against the mis matched tables and chairs which were style over substance. The tables were impossible to eat from providing no function. The bathroom was large and stylish though it did not have dressing gowns like in Barcelona and was decorated with several cobwebs.

Our suite being on the highest floor was too hot. We were informed by reception that it was controlled centrally. However we independently discovered putting the heating on ,actually, decreased the temperature by 3C.

The homemade lemonade was absolutely superb but not enough to make me want to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Forest Hills, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here for a week during a vacation in Buenos Aires. The decor is fantastic, the rooms are tidy, and the front desk staff is exceptional. They were very accommodating, especially considering my limited knowledge of Spanish. They helped book us tours, shows, and other fun activities. A receptionist named Ezequiel went above and beyond for us after a medical emergency. He found us a hospital and typed up a note for us in Spanish so we could explain our situation to the doctors. The gratis breakfast could use a few more selections but for a complimentary breakfast, I can't complain too much. The gym is somewhat limited - no weight racks, just a few treadmills. Nearby are some great restaurants (try Tancat!), lots of shops, and a really beautiful park. I can't say enough about the extremely helpful service we received. It was a fantastic stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on either side of our 2-week trip to the south of Argentina / Chile. Great experience! Definitely will stay here again when next in Buenos Aires.

Positives:
* Great looking, clean, spacious room with tv, air con, mini-bar
* American style buffet breakfast (cereals, eggs, pastries, etc)
* Rooftop bar
* Pool (essential when visiting BA in the middle of summer)
* Location -- easy walking from main BA sights (but remember, things are further than they seem on a map!)
* Very friendly service
* Overall decor of hotel including library

Negatives:
* None

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I typically travel to Buenos Aires each January as a respite from Chicago's winters and stay at various hotels. No longer: I've found the one I'll be returning to. Full disclosure: I work at a four-star hotel which is part of a one of the world's largest chains. I prefer, however, to stay smaller hotels away from the international chains. My thoughts on the Pulitzer:

LOCATION: Nicely placed near the Florida Street shopping street as well as Plz. St. Martin but on a quiet side street.

STAFF: I have yet to meet a GENUINELY friendly and helpful staff member. Since it seems that this hotel is utilized by cruise boat companies for both before- and after- cruise extensions, it seems to me that staff has their hands full dealing with infrequent travelers who are the source of unimagined nit-picking. Sad to say, from my time sitting in the lobby and just observing interactions, some of the most demanding -- even rude -- guests sound to be American. Way to go! I'm stunned -- but shouldn't be, I guess -- that a traveler's review of based on frayed towels. When there are issues, give management a chance to address them.

FACILITIES: My standard room was much larger than anticipated and included a spotless and modern bath -- always the key determinant of a hotel room. The mattress was very comfortable, the needed a shampoo but appeared to be relatively new, the Wi-Fi in the guestroom was far larger than many I've encountered and very reliable, and there was an in-room safe tucked away into generous closet space. The gratis breakfast was more than I needed (Folks, you want bacon/eggs/pancakes -- stay home and go to Cracker Barrel) and pleasantly served. Security was never a concern as there is a security agent at the front door 24/7. There is an adequate workout room, an outdoor pool (a rarity in BA at this price point), and a very nice skybar at the top of the building.

Suggestions: A couple more English-language TV stations (at least CNN) would be welcomed, but maybe not -- who wants to sit around watching TV in Buenos Aires? You've heard from me. I'm here at the property two more days and will be back here next January.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Oxon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Beautiful Hotel, two double beds, safe, rocking chair, Bath, Shower, Bidet, freebies, very good Breakfast.
Carrefour supermarket, Little Italian Cafe and ATM opposite the Hotel, and Florida Street ( shopping pedestrian street ) is 5 minutes walk.

Air Conditioning wouldn't set lower than 23 degrees, that is TOO WARM to sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Nice middle range hotel. When I checked into the room which was clean and ready for me, jet here was a nearly full packet of cigarettes in the bin with cannabis rizzla'd onto the outside of each one. There was also a broken one in the bin which had not been lit.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Room Tip: Check the bins first!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Manager hotel P, Director General at Hotel Pulitzer Buenos Aires, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Sir or Madame,

First of all i would like to thank you for your review as it let us know our weaknesses.

During your stay we had many energy cut problems from the electrical Argentinian company that caused us some troubles at the hotel.

However we regret that your stay has not been as satisfying as we would like to.

If you decide to repeat your experience do not hesitate in writing me. jorgeroig@grhoteles.com

Best regards
Los Gatos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This review is not sour grapes... I can't believe the positive feed back on this site.
We finished our 11 day trip with 4-5Star hotels with this one. Recommended by the reviews.
Main issues: Rooms could not be cooled less than 72 degs. Controlled by managment.
Towels were torn and stained. Rooms were not dusted or vacummed well. Hall ways the same - dark and dingy.
Service was the exception! Everyone at the front desk and doors were lovely and extremely helpful! Not their fault the management/owners don't care of their hotel.
I would rate this as a 2star - an upscale hostile.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Buenos Aires? Share your experiences!