“Superb and inventive food plus caring service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Pizarras Bistro

Las Pizarras Bistro
Thames 2296, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Palermo)
4775-0625
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palermo
Los Angeles
“Superb and inventive food plus caring service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I found this restaurant through TripAdvisor and thought it was so good I went back the next night. It's an odd place, with no sign, and one needs to knock at the door to be admitted. Once inside, you find an attractive but plain room with simple wood tables and no menus. All the dishes are listed on chalkboards. My server both nights was Javier, whose English was decent and whose sincerity made up for any language shortcomings. I sampled the soup, a hake fish with crispy skin, a pesto pasta, and a chocolate dessert. All were sensational, and memorable. These items are probably only available on occasion, but I'd expect whatever is on the chalkboard to be equally good. The prices are very reasonable and it's easy to get in between 8 and 9 most nights, difficult after that.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chicago, Illinois
“Best Meal of Our Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Thank goodness for tripadvisor and the location of our hotel. The reviews led us to Las Pizarras where we had one of the most memorable and phenomenal meals of our lives and definitely the best in Buenos Aires. The server that we had carefully read each choice to us (translated to English) without any prompting and we found this to be above-and-beyond. Otherwise, we would have plodded through our Spanish dictionary and still would have been completely satisfied with our experience.

Our meal was complete with wine, oysters, rabbit pate, and then a duck dish that made me embarrassed to be eating so well in life. Our trip took us back to Buenos Aires on our return and we eagerly anticipated a second meal at Las Pizarras. I think I cried when we showed up on a Monday evening only to discover the restaurant was closed. Since we were leaving the following day, no more meals were had at Las Pizarras...but that's just the best excuse to go back!

• Visited August 2012
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We wouldn't have found this restaurant without Tripadvisor. God bless this website!
The coffee-pepper butter accompanying the hot bread was a good omen of things to come. The shrimp starter was juicy and well cooked in a balanced sauce. The pumpking-corn soup was perfect taste and temperature with no need for additional pepper.
The rabbit ravioli was juicy and a large enough main for two. The moist chocolate dessert was the highlight: quality cool dark chocolate layer covered with a room-temperature dark chocolate mousse. Fantastic!

London, United Kingdom
“Great value, interesting food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The service can be a bit slow and you do feel like you are at the mercy of the chef and his mood but if you can be laid back about life, this is a great place to head. Interesting food for Buenos Aires which is so beef focused - rabbit, venison, hare, mackerel etc. all being regulars. Mostly the food is really excellent.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Best restaurant of our 10 day trip to Argentina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

One month later, I can still can conjure up our delicious last meal in BA at La Pizarras Bistro, and I might add we were thrilled to have found it through tripadvisor. After some great boutique shopping in Palermo Viejo we strolled over to the restaurant a half hour before our 9:00 p.m. reservation on a Wednesday night. They accommodated our early arrival and am happy to report that we did not feel like idiot touristos either, as there were several other table already there, some of which even appeared to be portenios! Because the entire menu is written on chalk boards in Spanish we felt lucky that our waitress was from Michigan and translated everything for us, especially since each dishes had a litany of interesting ingredients. This is truly a foodie paradise. I haven't had such fresh duck since my aunt sever the head off of one from her backyard garden when I was visiting in Poland. They left the perfectly crispy skin (the best part!) on the sliced duck breast and served it with delicious autumnal accompaniments. My husband the game lover had the hare stew which was out of this world, and my daughter loved her fancy pasta dish. The wine steward, whose English was limited, but far better than our Spanish, was still able to set us up with a great vino too. I can't believe that my new favorite is over 5,000 miles from home!

• Visited May 2012