“Truly a home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Apartamentos Conventillo de Lujo

You added Apartamentos Conventillo de Lujo to your Saves list
Apartamentos Conventillo de Lujo
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   Tte. B. Matienzo 2696 | Amenabar 299, Buenos Aires 1426, Argentina   |
Offers & Announcements
$100 (USD)
Ranked #19 of 249 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Truly a home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This is a my first time traveling solo in South America. Not knowing anyone, not knowing Spanish, I was really nervous about my trip. Thanks to Amy and Angel at Conventillo de Lujo, they made me feel at home. I was introduced to many great places in Buenos Aires. Amy was the sweetest lady ever. Try to get to know her, she is an amazing person! When she had time, she took me to milonga (she loves to dance!) and La Boca. I truly appreciate her friendship. Breakfast here was delicious. The location might not be super central, but it's very easy to take a bus of subte from here to go anywhere. I like the quietness of this place, not very touristic. It's exactly what I was looking for. I get to meet the real local people. Every morning, I practiced some dancing at the studio (wood floor) and twice a week, there are tango classes here. There are private dance classes available here too. Amy introduced me to the authentic Argentinean culture. For me, CDL is truly a home away from home. I would come back again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

The Best part of staying 10 nights at the Conventillo de Lujo was the owners, Amy and Ray and their wonderful staff. It's a small "hotel" with individual apartments. I had tea on my balcony every morning and watched the area wake up.

My husband Peter spent the first hour of his day practicing tango in the dance studio located next to the atrium kitchen where a tasty breakfast is served. If you are a tango enthusiast there is no better set up!

Everything was very clean and modern with granite counters.

Amy and Ray were so warm and welcoming to us, going out of their way to help us with our various requests (for a tango teacher and a bandoneon player!) we wouldn't have had such attention at a time share, which was our other option.

I really appreciated Julio-he picked us up at the airport after a 10 hour night flight and delivered us to the Conventillo de Lujo. He is Amy and Rays taxi driver who does this wonderful service for the guests.

For my first trip to South America I am SO GLAD we stayed with Amy and Ray! It truly was our home away from home, which in our case is Philadelphia, USA.

• Stayed October 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

You have touched my heart and soul. I cannot thank you enough for everything...your kindness, assistance, generosity, spirit, patience, warmth, and caring. You have made my first time in Buenos Aires so very special and truly unforgettable. I think of you all the while as I play the tangos and dance in my heart. It makes me happy knowing I will be back with you again next March.

Room Tip: In addition to rooms, they have apartments, which I found preferable for a longer stay. It made my...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

A very friendly atmosphere, lots of tango, very nice architecture, and super nice people! Seriously, it is a once in a lifetime experience. And they will help you with anything; where to go, how to get there, best places to go shopping, etc.
It really feels like family with these guys :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

If you ever wanted to learn Tango (even with no prior experience), this is the place for you. As a bonus, you get to know the real Buenos Aires and its very friendly people. I can think of no better place to stay in Buenos Aires. The hotel is clean, well located and the hosts are amazing.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

Staying at Conventillo de Lujo has been wonderful each time. This is my third trip to Buenos Aires. I like the genuinely warm welcome and family atmosphere at Conventillo de Lujo. The help and advice that Amy, Ray and Susana have given me has made a real difference both to my knowledge and enjoyment of things in the area, also of course to improving my tango. The classes held at Conventillo de Lujo have a mix of locals as well as visitors and I´’ve enjoyed meeting people here who have become friends. I have recommended Conventillo to my family and friends and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Buenos Aires.

Janetta - England

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
conventillodelujo_11, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Apartamentos Conventillo de Lujo, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Janetta,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. We hope that you will be able to come back to Buenos Aires again soon and stay with us at Conventillo de Lujo. We have made many changes and improvements since you were last with us. We have a great rooftop qincho and solarium now. Many people love to go up there to lie in the sun and read. We will look forward to having a barbecue with you.

Abrazo,
Angel Garcia
Conventillo de Lujo
little rock, arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I have been to Bs. As. numerous times and have stayed at the Conventillo the past three years. Besides visiting family, my passions there are horse racing and tango. I can walk to both the hipodromo in Palermo and to the La Milonguita milonga.
Our driver, Julio, is always waiting (in spite of AA diverting us for hours) for us at the airport and he takes us to our home away from home. It is like having a relative pick you up and catching up on the latest news.
The apartments are beautiful and we love sitting on the balcony and watching the neighborhood.
Amy, Susana and Ray are tangueros. We have accompanied them to numerous milongas and always have had a great time.
There is not a restaurant, but the kitchen is open all of the time and breakfast is included. We didn't take advantage and cook anything because we were on vacation, but each apartment has a full kitchen.
We're always planning our next trip to Bs. As. even before we leave. Until I hit the lottery and buy the Tudor house down the street, I will continue to stay at the Conventillo de Lujo.
(The name is a pun. It's always fun to see the looks on the immigrations officers' faces when they ask you where you're staying.)
I always cry when I leave the Conventillo and Buenos Aires.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Apartamentos Conventillo de Lujo? Share your experiences!