“Questionable on El Salvador” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Retirada

La Retirada
El Salvador 4945 | Palermo Sohoo, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Palermo)
4833-9376
Improve this listing
Ranked #980 of 2,327 restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Palermo
Toronto, Canada
“Questionable on El Salvador”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Monday nights seems to be night off for a lot of BsAs restos. We arrived on a Monday evening from Mendoza and after walking around we ended up in this place. We ordered a lomo (tenderloin) each only to be told that they didn't have any. We then ordered an Entrana (skirt steak) and a ojo de bife (rib eye). Only half the order came back correct as I received a striploin instead of my rib eye. Worst even though it was cooked medium rare and beautifully ruby red, the damn thing was tough. They were more interested in directing me towards the most expensive red, white or sparkling. When you are hungry and tired you tend not to be somewhat more indifferent I expect; but certainly would avoid this place in future.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
vancouver
“They have the meat that ye can eat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just steps from the Nuss hotel La Retirada serves up huge dishes of meat cooked to perfection. The portions are very large and if you have a small stomach, you may wish to share with your partner

Visited February 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“great find in palermo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We went for new year's day...which was unseasonably cold, so they got their heaters going on the patio. Food was excellent...my "breast of pork" "pechuga de cerdo" may have been the best pork i have ever eaten! Good wine list. Atmosphere very nice...especially when they turned down, and then off, the Michael Jackson music blaring over the loudspeakers. We wish we had gone back...excellent price-quality ratio.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Good service, great food, awesome location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Have been to this resto twice already, friday and saturday to be specific (taking into account another comment from a reviewer) and both the food and service have been excellent. The resto is located in a quiet street, just a few steps off the buzz from the important intersections on Palermo Soho neighbourhood. Not only the beef is of excellent quality, cooked to perfection but the wine to. We were suggested by our Colombian waiter, Trumpeter which was a perfect combination for the food we ordered, dessert included. Although we went on a friday during the busiest days in december, the place was not crowded. Having arrived closed to 10 pm, we left passed 1 am and had a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate our wonderful dinner.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Nice and quiet place in Palermo... very good meat.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is the second time I take foreign friends to eat at La Retirada. Both times, I had very good comments about it. The best of the place (if the weather is nice) is definitely... the backyard. You will find well spaced tables surrounded with vegetation that create a nice environment. Now, in regards to the food... I've tried most of the dishes. In my opinion the best are the ones of the clay oven (the "vacio" and the lamb) and the traditional rib eye. I wouldn't recommend the lamb chops as the relation price/quality is not best it could be. Finally, in regards to the wines... there are quite a good number of options at reasonable prices... I personally recommend the "Fond de Cave" or "Trumpeter", both excellent wines at very competitive prices.
PS: I have never tried desserts as I usually end full of meat, just a cup of "Chachamay" (digestive) tea.
IMPORTANT: Everytime I've been to La Retirada, has been during the week, never on weekends. I want to make this comment as usually the service in restaurants vary quite much during weekends.

• Visited December 2012