“Unique and Interesting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa SaltShaker

Casa SaltShaker
Uriburu & Pena Barrio Norte, Buenos Aires 1114, Argentina (El Centro)
+54 11 0000-0000
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 2,329 restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Peruvian, International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: El Centro
Description: Welcome to Casa SaltShaker. We offer a unique dining experience, sharing a table with other guests at our home in Barrio Norte. The setting is casual and the conversation lively. Our food is eclectic with a Mediterranean base. It's all about meeting new friends over good food and wine.Bienvenidos a Casa SaltShaker (Salero). Ofrecemos una experiencia gastronómica única, compartiendo una mesa con otros comensales en nuestra casa de Barrio Norte. El ambiente es informal y la conversación animada. Nuestra cocina es ecléctica con una base mediteránea. Se trata de conocer nuevos amigos y sobre todo de gustar buena comida y buen vino.
Manhattan, New York, United States
“Unique and Interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was my first closed-door experience and I loved it! A little nervous at first but as soon as we walked through the door, we were greeted with a warm smile from our host, Dan. I was traveling with my husband and another couple. We are talkative people so we had no problems joining dinner conversation. Overall, the table was friendly and interesting. As the wine kept flowing, the convo got more and more interesting.
Food- pleasantly surprised. I didn't doubt it would be great but was surprised on how creative Dan and team are. To have a salmon soup with no visible salmon!? It still makes my mouth water. The wine pairing was fantastic as well. We really enjoyed our meal and practically had to be rolled out of the apt.
I would highly recommend this experience. If you are not a people person, maybe do another closed-door with no communal table; however, you would miss out on an uber unique experience! Thank you Dan and team!!

• Visited January 2013

89% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Great closed-door dining experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had heard so much about the puerta cerradas in Buenos Aires and wanted to make sure we tried one out before leaving. Casa SaltShaker was a great way to close out our vacation. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a nice cocktail and had a chance to meet the other guests. For dinner, everyone sits at a large table for 10. Because of this, I have to think that everyone's experience will vary significantly based on the personalities around the table. If human interaction makes you uncomfortable, this might not be your cup of tea :) We all happened to get along really nicely and it was great to hear about everyone else's travels. In fact, we all sat separately from our significant others to shake things up a bit (no pun intended).

As for the food, it offered a great alternative to the endless amount of steak you're bound to eat while in BA. The highlights of our 5-course meal were the yellow gazpacho w/ avocado puree to start and the rabbit for our main course. We were given a wine pairing with each course, all of which were perfect compliments. Dan is also very accommodating to any food allergies guests may have. I noted my stone fruit allergy when making the reservation, so Dan made sure to substitute plums for apples in my cheesecake desert.

Ultimately, we had a great time at Case SaltShaker and would definitely go again when back in Buenos Aires!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Our 1st Puerta Cerrada, unique, delicious and an oasis in the City.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were warmly welcomed by our host/chef. Eight total guests, 4 separate pairs, no language barriers, different areas of the world and ages made for a collegial dining table. 5 course Tasting menu with wine was thoughtful and delicious - especially the roasted, smoked egg plant stuffed crepes in lemon creme sauce - divine. A terrific change from large buffets and hotel fare that travelers experience. Our hotel was 5 minutes away by cab so logistics were easy. We would recommend Casa Salt Shaker and would love to return to Buenos Aires to try another menu!

• Visited January 2013
Hammond, LA
“Worth a trip to Buenos Aires”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The only food experience I've had that comes close to what I enjoyed the night of 8 February 2013 at Casa Saltshaker was a taster's menu lunch at the multi-Michelin-starred Marc Veyrat restaurant in Annecy, France in the mid 1990s. Dinner at Casa Saltshaker was alone worth a trip to Argentina in my opinion. Chef Dan Perlman is indeed a great artist!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“A Truly Unique Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Prior to visiting Buenos Aires, my wife and I had never heard of a closed-door restaurant. That said, I am glad we had the chance to dine at this unique dining experience. The set-up was a table of ten and we had the chance to dine with other visitors to B.A. It was a lively atmosphere and we had a chance to speak with everyone at the table at some point. That said, like most social interactions, there was one couple my wife and I gravitated towards and we had a great time hearing about each other's travels and life experiences. The wine pairings were a wonderful complement to the food of which there were five courses. In all servings, Dan took the time to explain each dish and the reason for the wine pairing. Unlike other dining experiences, there was an intimacy that only a homely environment can provide. My wife and I highly recommend taking advantage of Casa Saltshaker should you travel to B.A.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere