“this hostel is alright” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Estoril

You added Hostel Estoril to your Saves list
Hostel Estoril
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Avenida de Mayo 1385, 1er piso, Buenos Aires 1085, Argentina (Montserrat)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cartagena, Colombia
“this hostel is alright”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My first hostel in BA and it was quite good. This review might not be the most useful because i spent three days there but the time spent there was good. Breakfast was good, eggs and cereal and bread, you just make it yourself. The beds are comfortable, the wifi is good and they offer a few tours and the staff are helpful if perhaps a little indifferent. Common rooms have a good atmosphere and showers are good. It didnt blow me away but it is quite a good place to start. Location is good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

(6th floor review) Great location, right in microcentro a couple of minutes walk to florida street, metro/underground/subway. amazing terrace. Loved the staff and the bbq's. I'll defenitely will book in again next time in BsAs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Good hostel, close to two of the main subway lines on Av Mayo. We were given an option of rooms an decided on a room at the back (after reading about traffic noise at the front) Which had no natural light but was quiet. Aircon was a bit noisy but worked fine. Breakfast food was good and the staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful.
We did the "alternative walking tour" on Monday morning from the hostel and learnt a lot about the politics of the country. We were able to leave our bags securely after checkout.
We were in the hostel on the first floor, they also own the sixth floor where there is a great roof terrace and bar. Unfortunately the weather didn't co-operate so we didn't get chance to appreciate it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel Estoril was a perfect place to rest, albeit I would warn anyone about the bathroom. It's a great place to sleep off jetlag, get a good night's sleep, although if you get my room right over the street that might not be possible. My comment about the bathroom has history. I've spent time in countries where the shower head is in the tiny toilet and you're expected to use it. So when I saw that set up in my room, I assumed that's what ensuite meant. Nothing else what explained. So I went to shower that night on the black tiles, warm water going and soap. You can only guess what happened next. I will say this: I am extremely lucky: I'm slim, athletic and quick. I got away with a hip bruise, a strained neck and a pulled shoulder. Other, older or more heavy people would not be so lucky. I went to bed with a pain pill. In the morning, Wendy at the desk explained that no one uses that shower. Well, that's not true. It's just not a good assumption- I just did. So a little discussion prior to the shower's use might be in order - or the provision of a mat. Either way, we prevent an accident from happening. I didn't think of a mat because I"d been two days without sleep and the line of drool going down my chin was a good indicator of how tired I was: I didn't even look down. It happens to the best of us. So it's just a good idea to remember that OSHA doesn't exist anywhere but in the USA and that little things like this will happen, so be aware. The other thing is that they are centrally located which is perfect for them, although finding a store that offered fruit was impossible.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor with a corner room, 107. Unless you like being over Bourbon Street during M...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Quite an excellent price and a wonderful location - the staff were incredibly helpful with planning activities and the two terraces overlooking Avenida de Mayo are an ideal place to relax after a long day walking around the city. Nice, diverse, friendly crowd of travelers - good mix.

Room Tip: The rooms around the interior courtyard can be a bit a loud at night (light sleeper) - moved to one...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

As other reviews - this is a great hostel, friendly and helpful staff, an impressive bar and rooftop seating area, speedy wifi, nice communal areas and an adequate kitchen with plenty of brekkie. The small caution is to make sure you book a back room if you need quiet to sleep as the front overlooks multi lane road with bars etc. but don't let his put you off!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed for a week, great location. Maybe try Palermo area next time, they have all the night life there and its a treck from Ave de Mayo.

Bring USA dollars and walk up the street 8 blocks to Ave Florida. I got 7.8 p to the $, made my trip great value. I herd before it was dangerous, not a bit, easy.

Do not book the soccer tickets through Estoril, they charge us 550 p, took us to the River Plate 3 hours early, after earlier telling us we would be taken for food and drinks before the game. The guy next to me paid 200p for his seat, so it was 350p for a bus ride downtown and back..

Room Tip: First floor Estoril is nice and laid back, 6th floor is for young people
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostel Estoril? Share your experiences!