“Rayuela is the place to be!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Rayuela Hostel to your Saves list
Rayuela Hostel
Av. Belgrano 887, | San Telmo, Buenos Aires, Argentina (El Centro)   |
Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
“Rayuela is the place to be!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The location is very good.It's in the micro-center of Buenos Aires right next to the obelisc and most importantly in a safe area.
The staff(bilingual of course)is so much fun and they are always ready to help you,giving you infos about what to do in the city.
They even offer a free Argentinian breakfast all-you-can-eat(dulce de leche,milk,croissants,cereals).Whether you're with your family or with your friends I highly recommend this place!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Excellent staff, fantastic location, impeccably clean rooms and surroundings and a great kitchen to cook in. Just remember your own olive oil! Also, confirm prices in pesos and dollars before check-in because it doesn't exactly reflect the official exchange rate, but still a great deal. Would definitely return.

Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at the Rayuela Hostel for around a week by myself, followed by another week with my boyfriend, and my experience with the hostel is very mixed. As far as I can tell, the two main advantages of staying at Rayuela Hostel are:

1) good location in the city centre, primarily for it being within 4 blocks walking distance of San Telmo (cafes, bars and the famous Sunday market) and having two different subte/subway stations within a 1 block radius, and

2) cheap prices: Rayuela is probably one of the cheapest hostels you can find in Buenos Aires city centre, and for the low price even includes a typical breakfast of croissants, cereal and coffee. The prices are probably hard to beat for this part of town.

However there are a couple of major "watch outs" of this hostel to be concerned about:

1) for lack of a better word, I'd say disorganized and poorly managed. I was actually very lucky that my friends (Argentinians) had made the booking arrangements for me, and at the time of reserving and making payment for the room, they had informed the hostel that I would arrive late at night, and were assured that there would be someone there. I arrived in Buenos Aires after a 30+ hour flight, and then subsequently reached the hostel at around 10:30pm at night. (My local friends were with me) We rang, rang and rang at the hostel doorbell for around 15 minutes, and then thankfully again, one of my friends (who had taken down the mobile phone number of one of the hostel owners when he had booked the room for me) called the owner's mobile, and then 5 minutes later finally someone came down to open the door.

I was fairly turned off by this experience because if I had been alone, I am not sure what I would have done given that its was nearly 11pm at night then. Although it worked out in the end, it was fairly unacceptable for me that the hostel (who was already aware of my arrival and flight times and knows that the booking is coming as we had prepaid) would not be expecting the arrival of its guest. From this experience, my personal suggestion if you are planning to arrive in Buenos Aires at some time outside of regular 'daylight' working hours, you should probably avoid booking the Rayuela. Especially if you're a lady arriving alone. I personally feel there's no point taking the risk of ruining your vacation from the very start. It is probably every travellers worst nightmare to book an accommodation, and arrive only to find that the accommodation is booked out or not prepared for your arrival.

2) poor maintenance and low cleanliness - I am by no means phobic of dirt and quite the contrary, actually have quite a high tolerance level for untidiness and uncleanliness. However even I cringed at moments when touching items in the kitchen, or opening drawers to find layers of oil and filth on the cutlery. Maybe because it was a hot summer, but there were also sometimes fleas or mini mosquitos clustering around the pool table in the recreational area, and hovering at the overflowing dustbin in the kitchen. I had to apply mosquito repellent to sleep as I kept feeling as though I was being bitten by little invisible insects or dust mites... maybe it was psychological! We had booked our own private room so we had our own bathroom facilities, but on one of the days I stepped out to use one of the communal bathrooms (as my boyfriend was spending a long time in our room's bathroom), and honestly I tried to have as minimal contact with the surface of the walls, sink and even the floor as possible. Everything just looked so grimy.

Having shared all that, my stay experience was overall still leaning towards positive... mainly because of the very convenient location in the city, which meant I didn't have to actually spend too much time in the hostel itself. Towards the end of my two week stay however, I was really glad to be moving out of the hostel. Personally I won't be staying here again: I plan to be back in BA in December this year, and this time prepared to pay more for a hostel that may fit my requirements more exactly.

Sure the staff are nice and friendly, but for me I guess I would have preferred if the staff were more concerned about guest arrivals and about managing the conditions of the hostel. Ultimately it really depends on your priorities as a traveller. If you're looking for a live-able roof over your head at a low price in a good location in Buenos Aires, the Rayuela could work for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Not a bad place to stay, friendly staff on arrival, clean rooms with DVD player, bathroom didn't always wor but good hot shower when functional. Half decent breakfast too.

When checking out however we discovered if you pay by peso you are charged an exchange rate tha will see you lose out by 10-15 percent on the official rate - more so on the black market rate. When I questioned this, any sign of friendly staff disappeared out of the window and I was shouted at with great anger. I paid the official rate after a bit of an argument and was then ignored until I left the hostel. Pay in dollars and I'm sure the stay will be good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed here for a few days with a group of my fellow exchange students to see the city and go to Creamfields (we were living in Córdoba). Rayuela has great sense of community, and the staff are super helpful! They showed us around on their time off, gave us maps and advice on transportation and the best places to go, and were very friendly! They have big communal kitchens, clean rooms, hot showers, and a small complimentary breakfast of coffee, cereal, and rolls. It's located in the center of the city and the San Telmo street fair is just a couple blocks away.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very small hostel, very warm, and with the 3 days for the price of 2 deal we got it was very cheap. All the rooms are semi internal and are accessed through an area with tables and chairs for breakfast. Kitchen is good but not used very often so some of the drawers contain nasty surprises.
Wifi was good and could be accessed in room. Staff were very helpful with suggestions of what to do and booked us a tango show.

You are given a key to come and go as you please. Desk is not staffed from late at night to early morning but we had a 5 am taxi to the airport booked and they got up to make sure we caught it ok.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Leipzig, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Private rooms are some of the cheapest in the center, but what you pay for is what you get. I've hardly ever seen such a tiny room with almost nothing in it (only light and fan), not even power connections. What's the use in a private room if you have to charge your devices in community rooms? Breakfast ist average hostel food (medialunas and low quality coffee). They offer an airport pickup from Ezeiza, but charge (in March 2012) 40 USD for it, so there is hardly any advantage over a taxi.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Rayuela Hostel? Share your experiences!