“Big disappointment... room over-booked” 2 of 5 stars

Rayuela Hostel
Av. Belgrano 887, | San Telmo, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Montserrat)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Big disappointment... room over-booked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

After read the review on internet, we though Rayuela Hostel offer decent place to sleep. Turn out is a big disappointment.

DISASTER#1 upon on our arrival, staff informed us our room has over-booked. They offered us 8 beds dorm for the first night, free of charge; then we can have 2nd and 3rd night our 3 beds private room. Which we booked for 3 nights.

So we decided take the offer, 1st night in 8 beds dorm and 2nd, 3rd night in 3 beds private room.

DISASTER#2 when we move in the 8 beds dorm get settle in, there is no bed linens. The staff explained the laundry has running late and promise we will get bed linens later of the day.

DISASTER#3 after settle in, I walked around the common areas. Everywhere I turn is dirt and grime. Shared bathroom seem like have not clean for many days. Dirt and hairs gather around every corner of bathroom. There is no toilet paper in bathroom. Kitchen - dirt and grease left from cooking; bin over filled. Dinning table over cluttered from the guests' belonging and towels hang on dinning chairs everywhere.

DISASTER#4 after been to town and back, hoping get some siesta before dinner. Our 8 beds dorm turns to 10 beds dorm, due to “over booked” again. Luggage cases were everywhere in over crowded poky room with no window. So we decide to move out, because there is no guarantee there might more bunk beds move in throughout the day.

The staff/owner was very helpful to help us find other hostel available is such short notice. The owner has given us taxi fare (AR$20 peso) and only refund our first night deposit. So at the end we still make a lost (lost the 2nd and 3rd night deposits). At the end, we are glad move out the Rayuela Hostel, because I don’t think I’m able to shower in their bathroom (just have a feeling I will get dirtier after the shower). On our way to get taxi, there is a couple also waiting for taxi. Their room also over booked.

On the positive side, there is a computer beside reception area for guest to use. Plus there is Wi/Fi access at dorms and common areas.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I booked this hostel after reading a load of great reviews on Hostel Bookers and I am 100% glad that i chose Rayuela. The hostel made my time in Buenos Aires unfortgettable and this is why.
The hostel is like an apartment on 2 levels. Each level has a huge kitchen-dining, and a louge room. In the downstairs there is a pool table as well. There are dorm rooms, doubles and singles. There are plenty of bathrooms for everyone, and there is always space in the kitchen and the loungeroom. The rooms are clean, and some even have ensuite. There is always a chilled out atmosphere, and you can choose to hang out at the hostel, or go out with a few people. Usually there would be a few drinks on the bottom floor, and a more chilled out relaxed vibe on the top floor, watching the football or something. The hostel seems to attract a more chilled out group of people, which i really liked. The facilities and the rooms available when staying here, are all top quality. It is 100% safe, i left my room open at all times and never had any problems. Its not advertised on the street, so the only way that people find out about it is through Hostel websites, so it attracts a really nice group of people. The location is perfect, right in the middle of San Telmo and within walking distance to loads of things.
However, the real reason to choose this place is the people. The hostel is run by Christian, and he and his team are amongst the friendliest people you will ever likely meet. Leon made me feel at home within 5 minutes of me arriving, staying up until 5am to make sure that I got in ok. The team greet you when you come back from anywhere, covering you in cuddles, they check on you if youre not well, they take you under their wing if you´re a lone traveller. I felt more at home here than anywhere else i have ever stayed. I could not have been made to feel more welcome if it was my own home. I left for a weekend to Montevideo and I missed it instantly.
A word of warning, if you have plans to stay in BsAs for only a short time, do not stay here, as you will want to stay and live in BsAs forever. I stayed here for 1 month and I could have easily stayed another 12.
Obviously I love this place and cannot recommend it more highly, if you want to meet really nice people and have an awesome time in BsAs, stay here. You might just stay forever.

Room Tip: The single room at the back is fab! They even gave me a heater!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

The hostel was in a great location: close to San Telmo and the more busy parts of Buenos Aries. there was minimal noise, even though the hostel is on such a busy street.

The staff were more than helpful with regards to anything we needed and they made our stay really pleasant. Leandro who worked there made our day each morning.

We stayed in a private room (4 beds- there were 3 of us travelling together) with an en-suite bathroom. The room itself was very spacious and also had a television in it.

The only complaint was that the shared bathroom was better than our en-suite. Rather save the money and get a dorm without the private bathroom. The shared bathrooms were clean and well maintained.

Overall a great place in a central area.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

During our South America trip we stayed three times in Buenos Aires. Every time we slept in different hostels. Rayuela was by far the best one of the three. The atmosphere is relaxed, they have the usual hostel facilities, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the place is cleaned every day. It also has a great location, it is very close to the city center as well as two subte lines, and there are grocery stores nearby. On top of this, the price for a dorm bed is very reasonable. If we ever come back to Buenos Aires, and we probably will, we will definitely stay in this hostel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We were expecting something a bit special from this hostel, as it gets rave reviews from other travellers. However, we found the atmosphere a bit uncomfortable, and although the common areas are nicely decorated (for example the nice big kitchen), we never felt comfortable using them as the staff's friends were always hanging around and were not that friendly. Christian the owner is very welcoming, but the other staff are pretty chaotic. The rooms were ok, really mixed (the ensuite double is very nice, the shared bathroom doubles much less good with rubbish beds), although they don't have much light except from the corridor. The layout of the rooms means that if there are people in the common dining areas you can hear every word from your room. The shared bathrooms are fine but could do with being cleaned more often. On the plus side, the breakfasts were really good, hot freshly baked medialunas and fantastic strong coffee. The location is great too, right next to a metro station and just next to San Telmo.

Room Tip: Take earplugs
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

After trying 5 different Hostels in B.A & being disappointed by all of them I arrived at Rayuela sceptical, I was WRONG!!! I only intended to stay at Rayuela Hostel for 4 days but ended up staying 3 weeks!!! I love this place to pieces and I'll share with you as to why! I have been backpacking for 2 years so I am no stranger to Hostels. I know what a good hostel should have & these guys have it in abundance! After spending 3 months in Argentina & Patagonia this was the friendliest place I have ever stayed. The staff are incredible, full of great advice & will give free hugs which for a solo traveller is an added bonus! They treat you like a dear friend, even when you 1st arrive. Cristian & Leon are the best!!! There are 2 fully equipped kitchens, 2 tv rooms with a good array of movies if you want to stay in for the night! The dorms are not cramped & have air conditioning. Did I mention they also give great hugs!!!
The hostel is located in a perfect position, close to everything including public transport & the San Telmo area which has a fantastic fresh fruit & vegetable market. (Hard to find everywhere else in Bs As). Give these guys a go, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

The hostel is very well located, in there we feel like at home, the decoration is very cute. The team is welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Rayuela Hostel? Share your experiences!