“Central Location with Helpful Staff and Wonderful Hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Callao Plaza Suites

You added Callao Plaza Suites to your Saves list
Callao Plaza Suites
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Av. Callao 930 | Cabrera 6054, Buenos Aires 1023, Argentina   |
New York, NY
“Central Location with Helpful Staff and Wonderful Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have stayed with the vacation rental company operated by Vicky and her brother Facundo since I started visiting Buenos Aires in 2005. From the start, they made me and my friends feel incredibly welcome, providing a complete rundown of the apartment amenities and also things to see and do in their amazing city.

For each of my subsequent five trips – so far! – there has been no question with which company I will stay. This most recent time was for a celebration of my 40th birthday with me and seven friends from New York City and San Francisco. Each person stayed anywhere from nine to 14 days.

Vicky arranged for each of us to have our own studio apartments in Callao Plaza Suites. This gave everyone privacy, while also allowing us to be close enough together so we could share in all of the celebrations. The pricing was very reasonable, reflecting the “volume” of guests – especially when compared to what a hotel would cost!

The building is in an extremely central location, just blocks from Santa Fe, one of the main shopping corridors. Also, the Callao subte/subway/underground line (D) station is just two blocks away, which made getting around the city very easy. Across the street is a lovely park, with beautiful violet Jacaranda trees in full bloom.

The apartments offer either a park view or a pool view. Those who wish a quieter stay will want to choose the poolside to avoid street noise. Though definitely less spectacular than the park, the view still is nice.

The apartments themselves varied in décor from stylishly modern to simply basic. All were perfectly functional, with enough towels, soaps/shampoos and basic kitchen utensils to get you started. The cleaning service came by each afternoon to ask if you would like the room freshened; towels and sheets were changed once every two days.

The building staff is very cordial and professional, with some downright friendly. I still fondly remember my semi-regular Spanish lessons with Steven, the night doorman, who definitely expanded my somewhat limited knowledge of the language!

To be sure, this is not a hotel – rather, it is more like having your very own home in Buenos Aires. :) With grocery stores just a few blocks away, and a convenience store right on the corner, you can pick up supplies to have breakfast, lunch and snacks in your little apartment. The kitchen features a mini-fridge, stovetop, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. My friends and I took turns “hosting” little parties each night before going out for dinner, which made our time together even more comfortable and enjoyable.

As hosts, I cannot recommend Vicky and her staff highly enough! From Agustín, who deftly handled our reservations, to Pilar, who greeted us warmly and helped coordinate several excursions throughout our stay – everyone was a delight. Any question had an answer, from restaurant suggestions to day trips to nightclubs to sightseeing, etc. Vicky and her team were at our complete disposal with friendly and helpful suggestions.

I have already scheduled my next trip to BA in March and am working with Vicky and Agustín on accommodations. No matter in which of their buildings they choose for me to stay, I know I will be in good hands!

Room Tip: The apartments offer either a park view or a pool view. Those who wish a quieter stay will want to c...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

The room was spacious with great bed and bathroom and a well-equipped kitchen. I was there for 3 nights intending to see the sights of Buenos Aires. But I did very little of that because I had picked a bad case of food poisoning in Peru and was still quite sick. On checkout day I had an evening flight and was not relishing the prospect of mooching around from 11 in the morning - the official checkout time - until it was time to head out to the airport: 5.30 pm. The wonderful Victoria arranged for me to camp in another room [mine was to be occupied by others later that day] until it was time for me to leave at no extra charge! This was very generous of her and clearly indicates why I will recommend this venue to anyone I know. It's in a great position, has good views and provides exceptional service.

Room Tip: Some roooms look out on the swimming pool at the rear of the hotel and others overlook a park/plaza...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

My fiance and I recently stayed here for 6 nights and it was amazing. The suites are excellent for the price and close to everything, including the subway. The host, Pilar, spent about 2 hours with us when we arrived to take us through everything and we had to sign a contract in Spanish but were taken through what it included. She even gave us great suggestions on where to go in BA and made us feel very welcome. It's not 5 star, but the apartments were clean and comfortable and had everything we needed to make us feel right at home including a functional kitchenette (with coffee percolator!) and a nice shower. Would definitely recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights at the end of a 6 week trip rounds the world. This was the only accommodation I was disappointed with in the whole trip. Upon arriving I was given a key and what looked like a leasing agreement written in spanish from a company I've never heard of (vaccation rentals) in an envelope by the doorman. In the room there was a domument with some very basic info on it in english like the hours for the pool and gym and how to use the air con. There was a phone number to call with questions but only during office hours. The flat was nothing like the picture online. Many things were broken including the wardrobe, shower head and door handle, the safe was locked so we weren't able to use it, and the floor was so filthy it made our bare feet go black. We decided there was nothing we could do that night.

Next morning I tried calling the number we had been given for an hour and every time it seemed to go through to a fax machine. There was an emergency mobile number so we went downstairs to give that a call and were directed by the doorman to young man who it turns out worked for vaccation apartment rentals. We told him that things were broken and we weren't able to open the safe and we had no idea how or who or when we were supposed to pay. He said he would talk to his boss and try to get things sorted for us and took our credit card details to pay. He also said he was around the building every day in office hours. This is that last time we saw him and nothing was ever fixed (he did however charge our credit card).

There was a maid service every day but the floor remained filthy. The sheets and towels were never changed and the sheets smelled damp the whole time as if there weren't dried properly. There was also damp coming through one wall which looked horrible.

The kitchen facilities were so limited as to be laughable. No toaster. only 2 glasses. No way to wash anything up for ourselved (no plug or detergent).

The room was also terribly noisy. We were on the top floor so no traffic noise but the walls are incredibly thin, the lift is very noisy, one night I woke up to continual beeping coming from somewhere in the foyer (I should note I'm an incredibly heavy sleeper), and the front door constanly banged against the frame even while locked.

The only good points are that the spanish doormen are friendly and its in a good location close to the subway (though if I went again I would prefer to stay in Palermo - much better restaurants).

Because of the filthiness of the accommodation, the noise and the complete lack of information and poor management I would not reccommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

My family stayed in a 1-room studio apartment in Callao Plaza Suites (an apartment building) for 12 days in July and August, 2009. We chose it because of the excellent location (near subway, busses, restaurants, shopping, Internet shops) and because the building was rather new with 24-hour security. But the room was so noisy, the apartment in such disrepair, and the management (Vacation Rental Argentina) so bad that we regretted it.

We have traveled for decades, all over the world, and desire simple, clean, functional accommodations with good service. We didn’t get that here.

Service was extremely poor; many promises were made but few kept.

The shower leaked; after a shower, the bathroom floor was three-quarters covered with water. The base of the toilet and bidet leaked. So it was both unsanitary as well as unsafe (danger of slipping).

For three people, there were 3 bath towels, sometimes just 1 hand towel, and no bath mat. And some of those had to be used to mop up the wet floor. Only 1 roll of toilet paper was allowed per day, so we couldn’t use that either.

On Sunday, we were surprised to learn that no towels were provided – they hadn’t told us – so we were left with just 1 hand towel and nothing else, after they took the previous day’s dirty towels.

The kitchen faucet wasn’t attached to the counter top; it wobbled loosely, and water leaked into the smelly, moldy cabinet below where pots and dishes were stored.

The toaster didn’t work. The plastic silverware holder was broken and cracked, and kitchen tools (can opener, etc.) were rusty and dirty.

The kitchen had no dish towel, paper towels, or dish soap. The waste basket was badly cracked and the mechanism to lift the top of it didn’t work.

Two of four windows facing the street had big cracks. One of two window shades was broken and could not be raised up more than part way.

The room’s heater did not work, so the room was cold (it was winter) and each bed had only one blanket and no bedspread.

We had been told that even though the room faced the street, it was high enough up so it wouldn’t be noisy. But we’ve never been in such a noisy room: a continuous raucous stream of loud and annoying traffic, cars, motorcycle engines, sirens, dogs (across the street was a park with an enclosure for dogs). It was hard to sleep, even with earplugs.

The managers at Vacation Rental Argentina are not on site – their office is some distance away – but they kept assuring us that they would have things fixed. Except for replacing the broken toaster and supplying some additional blankets (not enough), almost nothing was fixed (a clogged toilet was fixed 1 day later after multiple complaints).

We learned that the managers could not be relied on to call when they said they would or deliver on promises. The entire stay had to be paid in advance so we had little recourse, but after many complaints, calls and negotiations with management, they begrudgingly gave us a credit.

We should add that the lobby was modern and clean, the security guards (who only spoke Spanish) were friendly and helpful, the elevators worked well, the shower was good and hot, and the location was terrific. Too bad the noise, disrepair, and bad management ruined our stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
victoriayebne, Experience Manager at Callao Plaza Suites, responded to this review, September 1, 2009
We fixed everything as soon as you asked and in the period that was possible for us (the same day or the fallowing day). Remember that you rented an apartment with hotel services (like maid service daily, security 24/7, gym, pool, etc) where the rates are according the apartment (and in you case it was much cheaper because we gave you several night for free, not just a small discount).
About the noise: windows are made with double glass, specially for that area. It's obvious that in one of the most important avenues in Buenos Aires there is traffic, like in every big city of the world.
In Vacation Rental Argentina we always keep our promises and we payed special attention to all your questions.
I'm sorry if all our help wasn't enaught.

Been to Callao Plaza Suites? Share your experiences!