“Almost excellent, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Santiago, Chile
“Almost excellent, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had been meaning to try the well-known La Bourgogne ever since I knew the head chef of one of my favourite restaurants in Chile worked there in the past. I was also reluctant to do so, knowing full well that it was, and still is, one of the most expensive restaurants in Buenos Aires. In general I am a bit biased against hotel restaurants, disregarding them as tourist traps. Unfortunately, there's some truth to this in La Bourgogne.

Let's start with the good... the food. There are very few options, as it's usually the case when we are dealing with high-end dishes, but the food is excellent. I do have to complain about the cheese selection, as it offered no blue cheese.

Service was impeccable, though I had to wait a few minutes before the hostess took me to my reserved seat. The wine list is extensive, and it's truly one of the best in Argentina. I did find the offer to be a bit overpriced, though being so vast one is bound to find a good deal or two.

The reception, and in general the atmosphere of the restaurant is plain and non-descriptive. This is probably the worst aspect of it, though the piano was certainly appreciated.

Would I come back? I'm not so sure. While the food and service was great, I think that there are better options to indulge yourself in Buenos Aires at that price range... with a far better atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Austin, Texas
“Formal, French, and expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is very formal and elegant, and the wait staff is crisp and attentive. The wine list is strong, if overpriced. They do a number of traditional, showy table-side presentations. We had a scallop appetizer and sweetbreads and prawns. Both were quite good. For entrees, we had the seabass and the fillet, flambeed table-side in brandy. Again, both were good, although we had ordered the veal steak, not the fillet. The dessert degustation was a bit flat, but the excellent port made up for it. All in all, it is a good place to impress someone with the classic French service, but the food was only good, nothing exceptional. Considering the high price, anything short of fantastic seems problematic. You can have a much more creative and satisfying meal elsewhere for half the cost.

Visited April 2013
“Take your Wife and your Mum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

If you work hard and the people you love deserve what you rarely give them, please trust La Bourgogne.

I cannot give you a critique on this dish or that wine.

Well-heeled Epicurians might find fault.

Sincerely, I say, that if you save up your pennies for a special dinner, I hope you enjoy it and good for you.

Mutton we are yet we were treated at Lamb.

• Visited May 2012
“Unforgetable Dinning Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I you are by chance in Buenos Aires and would like to have a real French Style Dinner experience where the Excelence is present in every detail, do not doubt it. Go to La Bourgone, the restaurant at the Alvear Palace Hotel. You will feel you are in the best Paris or Cote d' Azur restaurant. Every detail is being considered. It is not cheap but the value for money is worth. Try and let me know. Enrique

• Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
1,352 helpful votes 1,352 helpful votes
“Don't forget about the boutique/bakery/cafe - Boutique Jean Paul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've eaten at La Bourgogne many times and never had a bad meal. Very good food and they have recently renovated the place. I lived in Buenos Aires for 8 years and almost daily my wife and I would get fresh bread and baked goods in the Boutique de Jean Paul which is right next to La Bourgogne.

We were pleasantly surprised to see they added a full restaurant and the bakery is bigger! It was very tiny before and barely any room for anyone to stand. Sometimes people would need to wait outside for people to exit.

Well now it's big and renovated and very modern. Same wonderful bread and baked goods and they have tables and chairs and a formal restaurant now with salads and sandwiches as well. Highly recommended!

The same guy that has worked for many years and we saw almost daily greeted us and that was nice surprise. Highly recommended for anyone and they have carry out.

One of my favorite places in Buenos Aires.

• Visited March 2013