“Best steak in South America!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Don Julio

Don Julio
Guatemala 4691 and Gurruchaga | Palermo Viejo, Buenos Aires 1414, Argentina (Palermo)
11/4831-9564
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 2,808 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palermo
Melbourne
“Best steak in South America!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Wow- this place has to be one of my favourite restaurants I ate in South America. And I ate at some very nice and high end restaurants. I am a big foodie! My husband also loved his meal as much as I did.
The steak was cooked to absolute perfection!!! Not only was the steak beautiful but the entrees and vegetables were amazingly cooked.
Service was fantastic, very friendly and accommodating. The vibe of the place is also really enjoyable and relaxed.
You must try this place in Buenoes Aires, its simply the best!!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great steak and wine in a good atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I highly recommend Don Julios. They had a large selection of wine and the steaks were great. My wife has not eaten steak in 30 years and she does not like steak. When I told her my steak was the best I ever had, she tried a bite. She liked it so much, she made a reservation for the next night and we went back. This time she ordered her own steak. The proveletta was an awesome appetizer. I won't visit Buenos Aries without a stop at Don Julios.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent food, mediocre service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I went around 9:50pm on a weeknight to grab a table for two (did not call first). This was supposed to be my last parrilla in Buenos Aires before leaving back for the steaks. We were informed we had a one hour wait before we could get a table- sure. Why not. So after putting our name on the list we went to kill some time by doing some last minute shopping at Disco.

I come back within 45 minutes thinking I was being "early" and the host completely forgets I was ever there and tells us there's an hour wait (again). I was not interested in eating at 12am because we had to check out of our hotel early. Our Spanish is weak and we struggle to convey to her we were here, in person, just 45 minutes ago to give a reservation. She visibly gets frustrated and bumps us off to the bartender who speaks more English where he smoothes things over and manages us to get us our table and a little free champagne. I truly appreciate that the bartender went out of his way to honor our reservations whereas another restaurant this busy would have bumped us to the back of the line for not standing outside.

I thought the rocky waters were over when instead our server rushes through service and essentially chucks food onto our plates. The service was the opposite of the laissez affair attitude I was getting used to, and was rushed and impatient. I sympathize because the line was literally out the door. I know this is not necessarily representative of Don Julio's regular service because I watched as the servers downstairs properly serve the guests in a regular pace while our server upstairs was in a mad dash. I even braved the La Cabera happy hour earlier and I didn't feel as rushed!

Regardless, the food was excellent as were the prices. The steaks are incredibly tender and of upmost quality. I'd rank it as my #2 steak house in the city after Las Lilas. Sure Don Julio has a more down to earth, authentic feel and have better prices and sides to boot, but I do say that the steaks at Las Lilas were marginally better and their ambience and service was impeccable (and a much better drink selection).

Maybe if I caught them earlier during the day (during foreigner dinner hours) or if I actually just stood around rather than wander off, but if this place is this crowded and tense during the off season (winter) I can't imagine how intolerable it must be during the spring / summer.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Worst meat i have had in argentina!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We went here with some family of my girl, and I have to say it was all bad! It was their first night in town so they were hungry for some argentinian meat. We were told this was one of the places to get to know, well in my opinion you don't need this experience!!!
All meat was over cooked and even not great quality, the flank steak was reasonable quality but needed to be cooked more, the bife de chorizo was dry, the only nice cooked cut was the ribeye, but they gave my rare ordered cut to my mother in law and her medium to me.....this medium was also over cooked.....disaster over disaster and I felt little ashamed bringing my in laws here, point.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Peoria, Illinois
“Excellent Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Excellent food, excellent service, lively unpretentious atmosphere with conversation and laughter just right. Very good wine list.

Visited July 2014