“hospitality promise gone wrong” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Marana
California
“hospitality promise gone wrong”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My stay for one night in this Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marana was okay. The GOOD: comfortable bed for a good night sleep after a long day of driving. Room was very clean. Check in was fast. I didn't try out the room's Wi-Fi because I don't have my laptop, but when I was at the Business Center, the computers were fast. They had new Windows 8 computers and I tested their internet speeds, which was really fast. Download Speed was 26 Mbps and Upload Speed was 10 Mbps. Breakfast hours are 6:30am to 9:30am.

The BAD: I didn't have my toothpaste and there is a bathroom sign in bold letters that say this: "Forget Something? If you forgot to pack any standard toiletry item (toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, razor or comb) just call the front desk and we'll get you a complimentary replacement right away." So I called the front desk and the person told me that they don't have any toothpaste and they are waiting for a shipment. I specifically told them about the bathroom sign but they did not do anything about it. Well good thing I found a Wal-Mart across the street but still, they can't keep up to their words.

Breakfast was nothing special. Basic scramble eggs, bacon and pancakes (no sausage). The other Holiday Inn express hotels that I stayed in had way better breakfast than this. Their Orange Juice was the worst Orange Juice I have ever had in a hotel. It was probably 50% water and 50% Orange Juice.

Overall, this hotel is okay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marana, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear d2012t,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Juan, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in July, 2013. Check in was fast and efficient. Room was warm upon arrival because housekeeping turns off the a/c when not occupied; however, room cooled down fairly quickly. Beds were comfortable and we slept well. Room was clean; furnishings were average moderate-priced accommodations. Nice Bath and Body Work toiletries. Only heard the train a couple of times; it never disturbed our sleep. (Trains go by ALL hotels in Marana). Breakfast was fine - typical for this type of hotel. Pool was fine - nothing special, but our kids enjoyed a dip. Several good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is clean and new. If you are looking for your average stay this would be the place. Nothing disapointed me but nothing sent me saying wow I would stay no where else but here. If the price is competitive I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marana, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Nesy76,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am very pleased that you noticed the cleanliness of our property. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay despite some issues. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I just stayed at HIE for 2 nights while attending a nearby retreat. Overall the hotel was fine...clean, etc. But, when I went to get into bed at 10:30 at night..I found there was some sand in the bed. At closer inspection, the sheets were not taught and there were hairs (at least 10) I pulled out. I called the front desk. Attendant was nice and did ask if I wanted to change rooms, but I declined. I had unpacked all my stuff in this room, it was late. I was exhausted..in my Jammie's, etc. I just asked the front desk to please leave word to make sure they were changed the next day, cuz it is gross. He apologized and said they would discount the first night. When I left next day I stopped at front desk to reiterate request. Again they apologized. The second night upon returning I could tell the sheets were fresh--good!
However when checking out (it was the General Mgr) manning the desk, I asked if he'd been told about the first night. He said he had. He did not make eye contact with me once. He told me I should've changed rooms. I explained it was 10:30 at night, I was ready for bed..and had unpacked all my stuff (I had a lot of things). He did not offer a discount or even an apology. It was clear to me, I guess he didn't believe me...because I hadn't moved? I've backpacked thru Europe when I was young, I've roughed it before...I could live with it to avoid the hassle of moving/packing up all my things and resettling...but I sure would've expected a lot more from a HIE...at least an apology. I won't stay again because of this, they've lost my business. I'd stay at the Comfort inn--it looks as nice. C Clark (Phx Az)

Room Tip: If sound of train doesn't bother you...it's fine
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marana, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Cari C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Marana, AZ .

Orlando A.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Only thing bad about this hotel and its a big one, is the trains going by every hour all night long. Not only could you feel them rumble by, but they sounded their horns as well. This HIExpress is a nice hotel, but I will not stay here again because I like my sleep. Sorry HIExpress.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marana, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear DebM819,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the noise. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Despite your disappointment we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Lansing, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a great motel this was in so many ways for our recent trip to Tucson. The king bed suite was roomy, very clean, and up to date. Daily maid service was excellent and the included breakfast included many choices including small omelettes, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, cinnamon rolls. One big disappointment, however, was the swimming pool. The water was very cloudy and we never once saw anyone clean it. We could smell chlorine so we felt like it was safe to swim in but it just wasn't appealing. The front desk told us that this motel mostly has clients that are business people who do not perhaps use a pool. Overall, a good place to stay for many reasons but if part of your vacation includes relaxing by a pool and swimming, you may want to select a different motel. one other issue was that the air conditioner was very loud and the fan runs constantly. We considered turning it off overnight and opening the windows but then figured we would have other noise. This did interfere with our sleep for sure and I wish that we knew in advance about this aspect of the room.

Room Tip: If there are relevant differences between rooms, i am not aware of them.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEMarana, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marana, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your interest in Holiday Inn Express in Marana, AZ!

I sincerely apologize for the appearance of our pool during your stay in early April. As your comments are very valuable to making our hotel a better place for you, the guest, I have forwarded this review to my general manager so we can improve. Also, I am very sorry your air conditioner was loud. If we ever have you in our neck of the woods again, I hope you will be willing to stay with us again.

-Gina
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Even though it was Gem Show in Tucson, Chris at the front desk greeted me warmly and thanked me for being a Platinum member. He gave our party water bottles and snacks. The hotel was very clean with updated rooms. There were cookies and ice water at check in. The guest laundry only had one washer/dryer, but they were in good condition and not overly expensive. Room prices were exorbitant because of Gem Show.

Only two concerns:
1. Several of my party said they had a hard time sleeping because of all the train noise.
2. We were given a handicap room (I'm assuming because of the busyness of Gem Show). It's fine except for the design of the shower. The shower head is definitely designed for someone to be sitting down. It was way too low. Also, the shower curtain was about 2 inches too short, which made for a lake of water in the bathroom. We cleaned it up as best we could with our towels, but that could be very dangerous for someone who's actually in a wheelchair.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HIEMarana, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marana, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express in Marana, AZ! I am so very sorry certain guests were unable to sleep due to the train, in cases like this, our Front Desk offers hearing protection for your comfort. Thank you for your feedback about our Handi-cap accessible rooms, our maintenence department has been forwarded your comments. If you are ever in our area again, please come and see us! -Gina

Been to Holiday Inn Express Marana? Share your experiences!