“Excellent resort!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Marana
los angeles
“Excellent resort!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We love this resort! We stayed for my husband's birthday with two young children, a baby and a toddler. The staff made us feel welcome the instant we arrived. The property is filled with activities for the children. The pool, the kids club has animals that the children can pet, the staff gave our children stuffed animals every time we ate. The hotel staff went out of their way to make my husband's birthday amazing. When our baby started crying during dinner, we asked for boxes to take our meal to our room. The waiter had the food delivered via room service with a note and dessert apologizing and letting us know that we did not have to leave even though our baby was crying. The service was excellent and I can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We loved our stay here. Its a lot more laid back than most other Ritz properties we've stayed at, less luxurious, but the staff is still friendly and helpful. The pool area is very nice, fun for adults with no kids and families with kids, as the pool area is split in two areas. There is a lot to do at this resort, which is good because its in the middle on nowhere. Because of its location, we never left the property to eat, so our meals were pricey. So plan ahead if you're on a budget. We had a few issues with our room while we stayed here that were never resolved. But we didn't find ourselves in the room too much, so we didn't worry about them. I would stay here again. And be warned, this is a rustic resort, there are bugs EVERYWHERE! In the rooms, outside,we saw a giant bullfrog on the path to the spa so its probably not for the squemish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay. Our room was upgraded in the summer for a reasonable price, and we could almost just walk out the door to the pool facilities. We spent the day at the pool and my daughter loved every minute of the waterslide. In the afternoon, the staff staged a race for the kids on inflatable dolphins. The pool staff were fantastic. The views are amazing. My only complaint really is that the location makes it a bit of a pain to dine anywhere else, and it is very pricey to eat here. If you want an isolated getaway, this is definitely the place, but if you're looking to see any other part of Tucson or Marana, it's quite a bit of driving.

Room Tip: We had a ground level suite with a separate bedroom on the north side, which is closer to the pool...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain is in the middle of nowhere and that's one of its best assets. The stars at night were amazing and I could have spent hours stargazing at the pool or from my patio. The hotel is fairly new and a very impressive property. The pool is incredible and even as an adult I was able to enjoy the water slide late into the evening on a Saturday. Thankfully they don't close the pool area early as there isn't much else to do late at night.

Because this hotel is in the middle of nowhere, they pretty much have a monopoly on everything and aren't afraid to charge for it. I wasn't shocked but the food prices were high but I expected the quality to be a bit better. There were some highlights such as the banana/peanut butter/chocolate smoothies and the avocado fries. Everything else I had was pretty standard fare and did not leave me wanting more. In my experience, I've noticed that Four Seasons have higher quality food than Ritz Carlton.

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable with all of the amenities that you would expect. A refrigerator that isn't a pressure sensitive mini bar would be nice so bring your own cooler if you need to store things. BYOB is definitely a good idea unless cost is not an issue for you! A $10 bottle of Louis Martini Cabernet is about $60 here.

Every room has a patio so you can sit out and enjoy the desert creatures. I saw tortoises, a roadrunner (meep meep), and various lizards from the comfort of my patio. The resident desert tortoises on site (Rocky and the big one) are delightful and a must see. It is so cute to watch them eat! There are also plenty of snakes, spiders, and scorpions in the Ranger zone. Adults were welcomed to check out the creatures!

The staff is amazing. They remember your names and seem genuinely nice and happy to work at the hotel. It sure seems like a nice place to work - I could spend all day there! I tend not to bother the staff too much but I'm sure any need you have would be promptly addressed. Service in the restaurants was somewhat spotty and was sometimes slow. Friends we were with had a badly messed up breakfast order at Core but it was comped which was a nice gesture.

The resort fee is a bit ridiculous at $40 a day ($45 with tax!). It includes wifi, valet parking, and a few other things. I won't get into a debate on the validity of resort fees as it has become such a common thing to do in the industry but I find the whole idea of it ridiculous and a cheap way to get more money out of people. I would have been perfectly happy with the resort fee IF access to the spa and its pool was included. Most of the nice resorts I have stayed at (various Ritz and Four Seasons) have included spa access in their daily resort fee. Even the best spa I have ever been to - the Four Seasons Westlake Village even includes it with their cheaper resort fee. Having access to the pool and spa probably would have tempted me to buy a service so I don't understand why it is not included. This alone would make me hesitant to come back here. I didn't feel justified spending $50 additional simply to have 2 people use the adult pool at the spa.

I can't help but compare the Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain to the Four Seasons Troon North in Scottsdale as they remind me so much of each other. In a head to head competition, I would take select the Four Seasons Troon North. The food is far better and the rooms are more comfortable. The Ritz wins the pool competition thanks to the slide and infinity edge. I assume the Ritz spa is better but I wouldn't know since I would have had to pony up $50 to see it. Both are great resorts so it's like choosing between a BMW and Mercedes.

Overall, a good time at the Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain. It was relaxing, peaceful, and I felt like I was far away from the rest of the world. Include the spa in your resort fee and I will head back to Tucson instead of Scottsdale!

Room Tip: Facing the mountain area is very nice. It may be worth an additional charge. Rooms overlooking the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

From the minute you drive through the gate until your last moment, a stay at the Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain is everything and more than you could ask for in a beautiful high desert location. The service is impeccable and staff members make you feel as if you are their most important guests. Rooms are lovely, well appointed, very comfortable and quiet. The pools are huge, well staffed and maintained - a great place for our grandchildren to visit us for the day from their nearby home. They especially loved meeting the resident tortoises at feeding time and, of course, the 250 foot plus long water slide was a big hit!

San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed this lovely dessert resort in August. It was nice and hot and great to spend the day in a cabana by the pool. Service everywhere in this resort was GREAT! At the pool, they would bring out sample treats and sample cocktails throughout the day. Awesome!

Great for kids too! The kids menus are great. Our kids loved the turtles that live on the property, the water slide and the Gourmet S'mores they do on Saturday nights.

The restaurant was nothing short of amazing. Can't wait to enjoy another amazing meal.

The coffee bar was great... some inconsistencies on how drinks are mixed between the staff. But all in all pretty good. Try the banana bread... Amazing!

The menu at the lobby bar and service was just so so. Stick to the fine dining restaurant downstairs and if a more casual atmosphere is desired, head down to the pool.

Rooms were amazing. I did not love the toiletries... they were Ausprey... not as good as the Ritz Carlton brand toiletries we had in Hawaii. Only other weird thing was that turn down service was very inconsistent... one night they came and we were all in bed already... another day they came and our kids were napping...
Beds were great, slept very well. Splurge and upgrade to a suite... it was totally worth it!!! The balcony was great to watch the monsoons. Bathroom was very nice with large shower. Room was spacious with living room. Loved it!

The spa is a must-do. Our treatments were wonderful... could have just lived in the spa the whole trip!

Can't wait to go back... the whole family had a great time!!!

Room Tip: Get a suite!
Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Attended a business conference at the Ritz in May 2013. Great facility, service, food and golf but isolated in the desert. Closest offsite shopping of any size is a Walgreens about 8 miles off the resort property. You have to drive 20 miles or so for anything non resort related. A nice resort, as most all Ritz Carltons are, but again pretty isolated. Would I stay here again, yes if I just wanted to play golf and enjoy good food and drink. But, if that is all I wanted, I'd go to Bandon Dunes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!