“HOTEL FROM HELL - DO NOT BOOK!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mellis Hill Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oludeniz
Mellis Hill Hotel
You added Mellis Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Belcekiz Mevkii, Oludeniz, Turkey   |
Ranked #93 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
Leeds, United Kingdom
“HOTEL FROM HELL - DO NOT BOOK!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

My family & I stayed here from 10th July 2010, should have been there 14 days, we left after the collapse of Goldtrail Holidays because the hotel wanted another £860 for the 7 days we stayed! This hotel is not worth £8.60 for 14 days let alone the £2214.50 we actually paid!
Staff were rude, meals were disgusting & cold, rooms were dirty, no cleaners at all came during our stay & we had no loo roll until we bought our own!
Its approx 1 mile to the beach down a dusty mud track with no lighting to get back at night so you had no choice but to pay 8 - 10 TL for a taxi home! No entertainment what so ever, you had to go out (OR GO MAD LISTENING TO THE SAME CD OVER & OVER AGAIN!!!). We have been to Turkey 3 times now & this was just a nightmare from start to finish!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Business
Yorks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

On arrival we were greeted by Jon and taken to our room on the ground floor above the pool. It is very basic to say the least. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was clean and adequate. Breakfast very enjoyable very turkish if you wanted tea bags you only had to ask but we took our own. Freshly crushed orange juice was also available but again you had to ask. The staff were always friendly and helpful and if you wanted the music turning down they would turn it down. If it was there we asked for it and if we wanted something we asked for it. Other holidaymakers also took our lead. The pool was deep and unsuitable for non swimmers but the sun bathing area was fine as was the bar. Many a good evening was spent around the bar and many good friends made.
The trips were excellent the canyon and Thlos especially. We throughly enjoyed the holiday after a hesitant start loved meeting everyone there especially, Lisa and Adrian, Joe and Chris and the young Irish couple also the owners and staff and especially Sunshine. Turkish evening a must. Accept the cockrell crowing and the Iman calling in the early hours as this is the real Turkey. We will certainly be going again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

We stayed at this Hotel for the first week in October on what was our first visit to Turkey.
We were located on the top floor overlooking the pool and breakfast area and despite a problem in our first room, after being moved we enjoyed a lovely stay. I have read comments about the swimming pool since returning home and as we both swam in it each day( as did numerous other people ) found it to be both clean and well maintained.
We were made welcome by the staff and the breakfast was enjoyable.
The walk both to and from town was invigorating but is not for people with mobility problems or one too many nightcaps!
If you are looking for good views, outside the noise of town, paying budget prices then this ticks the right boxes.

An Englishman abroad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

The Mellis Hill Hotel is a strange place to describe because it has quite a bit to recommend it but it also has quite a bit to put you off going there, I must say that if you have any kind of mobility problem this hotel is definitely not for you.
The main reason to recommend it is its isolation and its basic facilities, perversely the main reason not to recommend it is also its isolation and its basic facilities, it all depends what you want from your holiday.
The Mellis Hill Hotel is set in the quiet(ish) foothills above the resort of Oludeniz about 300 yards from the busy main road and is accessed from the road by a very steep dirt track, the area round and about the hotel is all rough ground with a small rough gravel courtyard, do not be surprised if your transfer coach drops you off at the side of the road and expects you to make your own way to the hotel.
The hotel itself is set on two levels with some rooms above the pool area and some rooms below (under) the pool area, all rooms except six are only accessible via steps and all have a sea view (the sea is about a mile away but hey it’s a sea view) All dining is alfresco, breakfast (self service) is served under a pergola covered in grape vines, other meals (from a limited menu) are served on the terrace next to the bar, whilst this, indeed, sounds very quaint it means that you are subject to the vagaries of the weather and the local biting insects, your food gets cold very quickly and you are subjected to the very loud music the staff insist on playing all of the time, making conversation virtually impossible.
Breakfast consists of 2 kinds of cheese, tomato, green and black olives, cucumber, hard boiled egg, melon, bread, butter and jam with a choice of either tea (made in an urn), which is very strong or the local instant coffee which you make yourself, but beware this is very strong coffee powder here. Normally it is self service but on our last 2 days it came plated up and was the most unappetising concoction I have ever seen.
The pool area and terrace at first glance look very nice but on closer inspection are shabby to say the least, with worn out sun loungers and equally worn out tables and parasols being the norm; the floor around the pool area could do with a good clean, the pool is very deep along the whole length and breadth apart from the semi-circular end where there are steps, even this is too deep (in my opinion) for children as there are no barriers between this and the main body of the swimming pool.
The hotel rooms are very, very basic; furnishings consist of a bed and a wardrobe, there is air con but that is payable locally, the en suite bathroom comprises a lavatory, a hand basin and a corner shower cubicle, I must tell you that the plumbing for the shower is suspect to say the least with a mere trickle at the shower end and an inability to drain the water quickly enough at the plughole end.
The room wasn’t cleaned unless we asked and the supply of clean towels was the same. The rooms have a small balcony with two chairs.
Do not be, at all, surprised to be woken in the wee small hours every day by either, dogs barking, cocks crowing or the local imam calling the faithful to prayer at 110 decibels (at 5am) or occasionally all of these at the same time! But you will get used to that!
The path down to Oludeniz is about half a mile long, very rough and very steep and when the sun goes down very dark. If you plan on visiting Oludeniz in the evening I would suggest that you take a good torch and spare batteries with you. (Yes really!) The alternative is to use the local dolmus or taxi service, the dolmus will cost a couple of lira and the taxi will cost 10 lira.
The staff; well what can I say? They seemed reasonably helpful if more than a little odd at times, maybe they were a little stir crazy, who knows?
Security is virtually non existent, I was horrified to learn that our passports had been kept in the top drawer of the office desk and it wasn’t even locked! There is a travellers (Gypsy) camp alongside the track to Oludeniz and whilst there are safety deposit boxes in the ’reception’ area if you use them be careful, the staff were rubbernecking every time I went to take some money out. Knowing what I know now I would probably only take my debit card with me as there are lots of ATM’s in Oludeniz.
The main problem with this hotel is that it is badly in need of some decent organisation, some strong discipline and a little bit of money spending on it.
When the music was turned off it was a lovely peaceful spot to catch the sun and relax with a good book, sadly these occasions were few and far between.
Would we stay here again? Yes, I think we would but I certainly wouldn’t recommend it to families, especially those with small children

Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

My boyfriend and I have just returned from the Mellis Hill Hotel and we loved it! We were met at 1am by Bayram who made sure we settled in well. From thereonin everything was brilliant, the room, the food, the views, the guests and the staff. Of course you get little niggles with everything but nothing to suggest this was only a 2 star hotel. Like others, we were happy to stay at the hotel on many occasions to enjoy the views, food and the crack with other guests and the staff. As it was getting cooler in the evenings the lads even set up a bonfire in the evenings, how cool! My only negative point really is that by the end of the season the pool looked a tad grubby.
We'll definitely be returning, thank you for a great holiday.

Ruthin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We read every single T.A. review for Mellis Hill, which averagely told us to be aware of the basic conditions (room/breakfast etc) and the amusing oddities (cockerel rise-n-shine at 4am/next door mosque call-to-prayer loudat 5am etc) so I must say we were half prepared for the most peculiar holiday I have ever spent. I won't therefore repeat all that you, dear reader, have already learnt from other reviewers, but I must infom you that, by the time we arrived at the end of September, the live-in staff had become a tad mentally challenged, and it was their distinctly random, irrational and occasionally improper and inappropriate behaviour that forced us to leave before our time was due, and we found (and paid for) alternative accomodation. This was not a case of cultural differences; I have experience of mental illness in my profession and the behaviour of certain members of staff was textbook institutionalism. Boredom with the repetition of their work, working all God's hours in a small hotel with no time to leave, sleeping on mattresses beside the poolbar between the bar's closure at 1.30am and breakfast organisation at 6am, they paced the communal areas in the way one might observe a confined animal in a zoo. Moodiness, random acts of kindness then total ignorance of guests, cruelty towards the puppies of dogs chained beside the kitchen to clear food scraps, sexually-inappropriate comments and physical improperness, vocally-expressed resentment of guests who choose to eat elsewhere rather than at the hotel, public interrogation of guests at breakfast as to why they had made this choice, and much, much more. Awareness of these behavioural incidents was certainly a large part of our experience, but of course I am sure others may have been oblivious....such is the nature of the holiday maker. Maybe I can be accused of taking my work with me....Needless to say, there had to be one tipping point, which came in the form of one particularly intense, troubled young male staff member jumping out of bushes in the pitch black as we walked up the stony track to the hotel one evening. We had been aware of rustling noises, then crudely mimmicked wild boar snorting, then John leapt out at us. We turned to each other, unruffled but uncomfortable enough to agree that things had gone a little too far. And so we said goodbye; curiosity and anger filled their eyes, and it took half an hour to retrieve our passports. We were immensely relieved to remove ourselves. See our review of The Sugar Beach Club, Olu Deniz, which is where we next stayed.

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I am quite surprised to read some of the reviews as I found Mellis Hill to be a lovely place to spend two weeks.

We arrived early in the morning and Jon was there waiting and carried our suitcase to our room located on ground floor below the swimming pool. At first I wished that we had been given a room above the swimming pool but soon realised we had a great location. The room was basic but I had read some of the reviews and was expecting this. We had everything we needed and a beautiful view. Our towels were always clean.

The Turkish style breakfast was bread, jam, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, olives and bolied eggs and was ample to start the day ahead. There were also many fig trees in the surrounding area to help yourself to.

Selda and Suha, the owners, are lovely genuine people and made us feel extremely welcome and part of their family. I will not forget how kind it was of them to take me to get my hair and nails done. It was great!

The pool area was beautiful with stunning views. It was so relaxing. The walk to town is nice and gentle, the only difficulty is one short steep hill by the hotel but it keeps you fit.

All in all we had a brilliant holiday and met some lovely people. It was very nice meeting Bernard and hopefully he will be there when we come back again in May.

I would like to say a big thank you to Selda, Suha, Sunshine, Jon and Bayram for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Mellis Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!