“Ticking the boxes” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Greenland

You added Hotel Greenland to your Saves list
Hotel Greenland
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hastane Mevki Gokceovacik Koyu, Oludeniz 48300 , Turkey   |
Ranked #29 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Ticking the boxes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Along with all the recent reviews I agree with the excellent comments made about the Hotel,the rooms,the service,the meals and the hospitality of the staff.
The only box I could not tick was the situation.
Other than the daily courtesy bus to the beach a local bus (dolmus) had to be caught to the nearest towns.
This involved a very steep climb down to the main road to be climbed on ones return,not for the faint hearted or anyone with walking difficulties.

Room Tip: When booking ask for a De-lux
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Turkish first
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just come back from a stay in this hotel late September we have been to Turkey on numerous occasions marmaris,bodram, ect, but was not a patch on this hotel,location,brill !' Staff friendly food good,room great, all in all a wonderfully great time had by all,would come back tommorrow
If we could, see you next time!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The best holiday I've had so far, Turkey is an amazing country.
We stayed in a superior double room, it was cleaned daily with fresh towels and bedding and the cleaners folded our washing when dry on the balcony.
Two pools, top one if wanting a bit of piece and quiet, bottom one for a more lively atmosphere with music.
Entertainment in the day and evenings was great, varied and funny, the entertainment team are the best, everyone is so friendly - they make the stay very special.
Hasan is a character you will never forget.
The food is nice, a few repeats on a 2 week stay, but overall very good and tasty dishes available.
Enjoyed the wine on tap too much.....
Location is fine if you are happy to get a short bus ride to Hisaronu/ Olu Deniz/ Fethiye. The buses are about every 10mins outside the hotel, never had a problem and they run late.
Overall I would 100% recommend this hotel, I will be returning in the future.

• Stayed June 2013
montrose, scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked this hotel after reading good reviews from 2012 season, when I started reading the reviews for this year I wondered what we were going to as reviews were very mixed, from being like Butlins to people returning year after year! We arrived at 130am and can't say it was a warm welcome, passports were handed over, a few essential words exchanged and shown to our room, that was it. For a 4 star hotel the reception area was very poor. The room was absolutely fine, plenty room, great shower, clean, 2 welcome bottles of water in fridge and slippers (!). The balcony was very small, only enough room for 2 chairs but we never used it so not a problem to us. Our outlook was into the wooded area and garden which was nice. We got Block 1 and from previous reports it was meant to be noisy, we never heard any noise other than people returning to rooms later than us and we were exactly early bedders!

The food...... I think the hotel did a great job trying to cater for all tastes, yes it was a bit of a mix match on occasions but always found something to eat.

Breakfast - always boiled eggs available, freshly made pancakes, omelettes with fillings and fried eggs to your taste plus various other hot and cold options.

Lunch - hot and cold selections, spag bol was very good, lots of salad things, always chips on offer.

Dinner - there were couple of nights where they did specialities ie sushi, chicken kebabs etc, plus the usual hot and cold stuff including mixed mezzes etc and various sweets including gateaux etc., fresh fruit also available.

Snacks - these consisted of chips, pizza, hot dogs, filled rolls etc
I'm not a fussy eater so had no problems with my choices but I think even the fussiest of eaters would find something to fill up on.

The hotel itself - 2 pools, one quiet at the top of complex, one at the bottom which was more for kids. There was a flume here for use by both adults and kids, which we had to try out, this was open for couple hours in the morning and afternoon. Music also played here all afternoon. We never had any bother getting sun beds even when we weren't up at the crack of dawn to put towels out!
The grounds were very much to our liking as there were turtles, large and small, wandering around, chickens, kittens and the hotel dog Bella, so beware if you're not an animal person!
The "hill" I didn't think of a problem I just called it a bit of much needed exercise! Could understand it maybe a bit of a problem or annoyance for some people though.
Staff - Derhya (think that's how you spell her name) worked in the top bar and she was lovely and worked very hard on her own. Some of the other bar staff were more interested in their mobile phones that pouring you a drink or even doing both at same time, very rude!! The staff in the dining area were also very nice and got the tables cleared very quickly to allow a quick turnover of people using the area.

Buses (dolmush) at the main road at bottom of hotel were very efficient, often tooting at us if they saw us approaching the road to see if we wanted to get on them! They are about 40p each to Hisaronu and drop you off or pick you up wherever you want, great value service as in 30+ degrees it's probably about 30-40 minute walk and didn't fancy it in that heat. Hisaronu is a bit like Blackpool really, nothing very "Turkish" about it at all but good if you want to get out of the hotel.

We did a jeep safari with Pioneer travel which was £13 each and great day out if you don't mind getting soaked! Buckets of water on jeep and option to buy water soakers to get at the people on other jeeps, great fun, but there are other jeep safaris offered that don't use water!! Also did a boat trip, again great relaxing day and good value.

Overall, we had a great holiday and met some lovely people including our new Scottish "friends", you know who you are(!), who definitely made it a memorable holiday for us, thank you all:).

We wouldn't return to this hotel mainly because there is nothing around it, as I mentioned the bus service is great but would prefer to walk out of hotel to restaurants, bars etc.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just returned from a week at Hotel Greenland in Ovacik and had the most relaxing time. We went with my mother and grandmother who stayed in a standard room and we stayed in a superior room. I would say that I would definitely recommend the superior room as they are much brighter, bigger and are located at the top end of the hotel where the relaxing pool is.

HOTEL: The hotel is situated on the outskirts of Ovacik and surrounded by mountains and pine forests you really do feel like you are in the middle of no where. The gardens and pathways around the hotel are so tranquil with chickens and turtles running around. There are hammocks where you can chill under the trees and further up tennis and basket ball courts although we didn't discover this until the last day. The hotel feels secluded yet just down the hill you can easily grab a dolmus (bus) into Hisaronu, Olu Deniz or Fethiye. The hill isn't as bad as people say even my gran who is in her 70's managed to go up and down numerous times.

ROOM: We were in room 639 on the top floor at the top end of the hotel, it had fantastic views of the pool, mountains and ovacik village. It was very clean and also very quiet, okay the beds were a bit hard but you always expect this in foreign countries. We were glad that we upgraded to the superior room as for the additional money it was worth it, although we didn't spend much time in it at all.

STAFF ETc: The staff were very pleasant and always made the effort to smile and greet you all through the hotel and the grounds. They were very professional especially the catering staff and waiting staff. The cleaners always had a smile on their face and greeted us every day and even came to hug us when we left the hotel on the last day. I actually found some of the guests quite rude and the way they spoke to staff and expected things done the "British" way was ridiculous, I don't understand these kind of people but the staff were professional enough to deal with such people.

FOOD: I really don't understand why people moan on here about the food (unless you want five star cuisine) the food was plentiful and there was a different variety each day. At breakfast you always had a choice of different style eggs, breads, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, honey's and jam's and some hot food. At lunch there was salads, desserts and again some hot foods and dinner there was always a variety of chicken, lamb, kebabs, sushi, salads, breads, cold meats, cheeses. I always tried the variety of mezes which very tasty. The deserts were tasty and on some nights they cooked fresh doughnuts and Halva which was delicious. There were also two crepe ladies at the top end of the pool who were so friendly and there crepes were great. I do wish though that there was more of a Turkish influence in the food, its a shame that British people come to Turkey and expect the same British food. As the person said before if you don't like foreign food then go to Blackpool where you will get fry ups and British food by the bucket load. The only thing I could be negative about was the snacks. These were chips, burgers, chicken nuggets again very British and not good quality.

ENTERTAINMENT: now this is what i would say the hotel needed to work on and I would have gave it five starts if this was the case. I understand they have to try and balance out the entertainment for kids, families and couples but even with that in mind I have been to 2 and 3 star hotels in Turkey that have provided much better entertainment. The problem as well is that there was not atmosphere, the hotel and its grounds have so much atmosphere around and then you go to the tipsy turtle bar for entertainment and drinks and it just lacks any atmosphere at all. It has bright lights, a cheap stage area and is crammed into a little corner by the pool. I would say if the lights were dimmed and there was more disco lights for dancing more people would be up and having a good time but it was a bit like dancing in your living room with an audience. The top bar near the quiet pool also had no atmosphere, it was like a school cafeteria again if they had more plants, and dimmed the lights with some cosier furniture it would be great to go and sit there (I am being picky but that's the interior designer in me).

As I said before down the hill you could get a cheap bus into each of the resorts most days we went to Olu deniz to the beach as it was lovely there, the hotel provides a free shuttle bus every day at 10.30 and comes back at 4.30 which was good. We also visited Fethiye a few times which is lovely and more turkish than the other places. Hisaronu isn't my favourite again its very British and a bit like blackpool! We also done the turkish bath through joseph at the hotel, this was great, you got taken to another hotel up the mountain and got a turkish bath, facial, massage and steam room all for around £30 which was great value. We went on a few excursions and booked these through agencies in Olu deniz as the holiday companies were far too expensive. We recommend Pegus on the beach front, we went jeep safari (£15), dalyan (£12) and paragliding ( £50) and all worth the money!!!

I have been to Turkey many times and I thought this hotel was one of the loveliest places I have been in a while and would recommend it to anyone. One tip for the hotel though, bring more Turkish influences into the hotel and it would be even more perfect.

Room Tip: Go for a Deluxe Room
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Just arrived home from an 11 night holiday at Hotel Greenland. I feel the the location is great the backdrop of mountains is just stunning a see it to believe it kind of view!!

It is provides easy access to Hisaronu, Fethiye, Oludeniz and pretty much anywhere you want to go... Also the hotel runs a free daily shuttle service to the beach and back!!

I think it is an ideal hotel for ALL AGES, Those wanting the neon filled night life in Hisaronu and those who enjoy walking along the harbour in Fethiye.

The views are gorgeous and the grounds are very well maintained the chickens, tortoises all a welcoming sight.

I see some people have mentioned the hill that leads to the apartments, it really is not that bad at all... upon arrival your suitcases are taken to your room all you need to do is walk!

We stayed in block 4 near the road and heard nothing.

ROOMS: We stayed in a double lower ground floor room in block 4 our room looked out onto the hillside and road no noise was heard from turning cars or coaches. Room was of a decent size (believe you me after some if the rooms I've stayed in) A large wardrobe with plenty of coat hangers and a lovely bathroom with an amazing power shower! The room was lovely and clean and the maids came in daily, leaving towel art on the bedding and changing towels etc. There was also a big flat screen TV and a good air con unit.

My only negative is the balcony/terrace was too small for two adults to sit and relax and there was no table, this is the first holiday ever were I havent used the balcony/terrace to our room/apartment.

POOLS:

Two pools one busy with water slide and children and entertainment one quiet and relaxing and free from little people.

Very close to the quiet pool a couple of staff members make traditional turkish pancakes most of the day!!

We used the terrace overlooking the poolside every day and it was excellent! The chairs were so comfortable and from here it was easy access to all the hotel amenities!

From what I saw of Sezer (staff member) he was constantly on the go, doing dart games, pool, water polo, volleyball, shooting etc, and it was suitable for children and some like minded adults but mainly girls and boys!

The staff behind the bar in the day time were lovely at times, really friendly and SerKan (staff) would juggle bottles etc which was amazing to watch in the 1980's but when you just casually wanted a drink you would have to wait for your drink until he was finished on his mobile phone or with his Tom Cruise Cocktail routine!

***FOOD AND DRINK***
The food here was lovely, better than previous all inclusive holidays weve experienced, cereals, fruit, toast and all sorts of breads were available at breakfast, as well as omelettes/eggs cooked as you wished, pancakes with many toppings to choose from and loads of hot food choices. Something for everyone! At lunch and tea soup was available each day, loads of salad, pasta, meat cheese etc and it was all lovely. On a night time we saw loads of show cooking, sushi (which was lovely) fresh donuts etc, and once in the week a large kebab! The drinks were nice as well, pepsi, fruit juices etc and all the usual alcoholic beverages.

My one dislike here the plastic glasses! Awful just awful!!!

*** ENTERTAINMENT ***
The entertainment was All Inclusive run of the mill in my opinion all a little dated it was a real working mens club saturday night kind of vibe to it!

Potentially a real laugh if you were under the influence of too many beers and willing to get involved! Look I understand that its difficult to provide for everyones taste all at the same time I think the entertainment plan needs looking at ahead of the 2014 season!!

(The entertainment boys) dressed up every night and greeted the guests as you entered the dining room, appropriate for little people and some like minded adults but I personally found being greeted for my evening meal by a smurf or a pirate every evening a little off putting and again dated!

***A FEW TIPS***

***OVACIK***
Highly recommend a walk into nearby Ovacik some delightful restaurants to choose from, we visited the Angora and Sandinos both fantastic food and service.

***HISARONU***
is not for the faint hearted OMG it was like blackpool x 100 Somewhere over the years the wonderful Turkish culture became lost in an ugly neon filled british themed entanglement of pretend british boozers and cafes alongside Marc Spencer and Azda retailers. Shocking what rapid commercialisation can do to a place!! I highly recommend the 6tl (£2) English breakfast at the butterfly cafe upstairs next to the talk of the town and the lemon cheesecake served in the Lady Marmalade cafe just down the hill from Azda!

***THE WASPS***
The staff in the restaurant were always lighting incense to keep the wasps away, doing everything they could, but to be honest it is nature and cannot be helped!! Just stay still!!! ;)

***UZUMLU**** visit this traditional turkish village to see the true Turkey and the reason why Hisaronu development is so very disappointing! Local Domlmus bus to the bus station in Fethiye change to the uzumlu bus!! About 25-30mins maybe 40mins if you account for bus change over its like time has stood still!!

*** KAYA VILLAGE***
Again local dolmus bus from the bottom of the hill every half hour and so much cheaper than paying for tour operater trips!!! An amazing place, hot (take a drink) peaceful and captivating stop off in nice restaurants along the way to relax and unwind!

Over all we loved our stay but would not visit again. All the staff were friendly and willing to help you with anything Greenland I'm on the fence I like you and I dont!! Your my marmite of holidays!! :-)

• Stayed September 2013
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Myself and my partner have just returned from a 1 week stay at this fab hotel! We checked in at 1am and were greeted by reception staff welcoming us to their hotel. We were shown to our room and "wow" it was a deluxe room although we had only booked a standard so as you can imagine we were well chuffed! Huge room with a massive bed and the first thing I noticed was how spotlessly clean it all was. We had no complaints with the food and cannot understand the negative reviews on this believe me we have been served some slop in our time! Fresh omelettes and pancakes made every morning, choice of eggs, breads, meats and yes there wasn't bacon but you are in Turkey!, if you want a traditional English breakfast go to Blackpool or somewhere! Please get a grip! Lunch was usually a large selection of salads, rice, hot chicken, spaghetti bolognese, chips and a large selection of deserts. Evening meals we had were fresh chicken wraps, the most lovely lamb that just fell to bits, chicken, pasta, again large choice of deserts. One night they were cooking fresh donuts yum! Another night there was sushi so how you can complain about the food is just beyond me! With regard to the wasps yes they are a problem but the staff are aware of this and once the incense burners were lit this did keep them at bay. They are not crawling all over the food as they keep it all covered. They only seemed to be a real issue at lunch time and we weren't bothered by them around the pool at all so again I'm not sure where all this diving bombing and infestation stuff comes from! The only way they can get round this is to make the eating area indoor. With regard to the "Butlins" review, if you don't want a hotel full of kids don't go in the middle of school holidays! The only children we saw were under school age and weren't an problem to us at all. This hotel is definitely not a 3* as some claim, show me a 3* hotel that has padding on the sun loungers and where the maids decorate your bed with fresh flowers, they don't exist! What makes this hotel so special are the staff, they are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble if you ask! The only reason i have not given this the full 5 star rating is the evening entertainment let the hotel down, although the staff work really hard this could be a lot better. The dancers were very good but the belly dancer wasn't that great just dragging people up all the time and didn't actually do much herself! Bingo, karaoke and a quiz were all we had which again could be improved on. This was our only issue and we had a fab time and would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and family!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Greenland? Share your experiences!