“nice hotel and staff but.....” 3 of 5 stars

Marcan Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bel. Ovacik Mah, Oludeniz 48380, Turkey   |
Ranked #68 of 91 hotels in Oludeniz
scotland
“nice hotel and staff but.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

after reading some of the reviews on here i was dreading going here but on arrival in the early hours of the morning we were met by a cheerful man at reception who was friendly. Our room was basic but clean. Aircon is £35 a week and a safe is £10 a week. The safes are not in your rooms but in the main reception area instead which I was not too keen on however our stuff was not touched in there. The girls on reception were lovely and always smiling and would help with any inquiries we had. If you want your room cleaned you have to leave you key in a basket on the reception desk before 12pm. The bar staff in the cherry chow were excellent and couldnt do enough to keep you happy, always smiling and chatting to you. It can be noisy in your rooms if you go to bed early but I took earplugs with me just incase! now for the BAD bit...I could hear a sheep bleating outside my door when I looked out I could see it was tied up right opposite my door I went for a shower and then my husband came back from the shop and told me to look at the tree opposite our door. When I looked the sheep was hanging by its feet skinned,head chopped off and its insides were hanging out. It was disgusting to look at and the smell was horrendous. I couldnt believe that they would do this in the grounds of a hotel and right outside someones door!! several people complained only to either shouted at in turkish by the cook or told " oh its ok we had a quick look around and there were no children about"?!?
That was the only bad bit about this hotel and like I said the staff were friendly and the rooms were clean as was the pool but just be warned if you dont like seeing animals getting slaughtered then maybe book somewhere else!

Room Tip: dont get a room in Eblock as it is under the bar and you wont get much sleep!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Duffus, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Once again there were several very negative reports about the hotel we chose to stay in in Oludeniz. We have decided that you need to really make up your own mind once you get there.
Whilst the Marcan Beach Hotel might not be the best in Oludeniz, we were pleased that we had picked a good place to stay. The Hotel is ideally situated about halfway down the strip and right next to it. Although it could be noisy and lively on the Strip, this usually ceased at Midnight. Indeed, one night the bar next to the Cherry Chow kept going after midnight and got a visit from the Police. This Hotel has a well maintained and clean swimming pool and adjacent area. The sun loungers were plentiful and clean although the jacuzzi never worked in the 2 weeks we were there and the water in it didn't look to clean either. The gardens around the perimeter were nicely maintained and it was nice to see so much fruit growing there.
The room was basic and just what we expected. It was spotlessly clean on arrival and as long as you leave your key in the basket at reception by 1230 every day the room will be cleaned by the maid service.
The staff that we met, and there weren't many, were all very pleasant and efficient, especially Phyllis, who despite working long hours every day always had a smile for you and was always very courteous and friendly.
We stayed on a B&B basis and the breakfast. although simple was the kind we have come to expect in Turkey and everything was always fresh and ample and yes we agree that a toaster would have made it even better. Yes, you do have to pay more for the English breakfast but that seems to apply to all hotels in Oludeniz not just the Marcan Beach.
As for not being allowed to take food and drink in from the outside, this is a policy that seems to apply to every hotel in the Oludeniz, Hisonaru and Fethiye area if you are not staying on a self catering basis so we didn't have a problem with it.
On the whole we had a very happy holiday at the Marcan Beach Hotel barring one incident which warranted a complaint to the Thomas Cook rep. As I was walking from reception to go to the path that runs round the back of the accommodation buildings, one of the staff from the Cherry Chow restaurant was busy slaughtering a sheep at the back of the pancake place. I was unfortunate enough to witness its throat being cut. I spoke to the manager about this and he seemed unconcerned at the upset this might cause some people and as far as he was concerned as there were no children staying there at the time this was alright. I complained to the rep and I am awaiting contact from Thomas Cook about the incident and I will update this review accordingly when I do receive something from them.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room under the Cherry Chow as the noise from above kept some people awake until lat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We only stayed for a week just wish it was longer!
Can't really think of one thing to even have a little moan about.
The resort of olu deniz was excellent as well. We're definitely going again!!!!!!!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Dreadful hotel, only plus side was the excellent location so never had to stay in! Staff were rude, room was filthy (dirty sheets, toothpaste in sink, shower gel all over the tiles) dont think they had bothered to clean it before putting us in there, paid for aircon which didnt work, when asked for help with it got the response 'oh well it must not work in this room', on returning back from an evening out the door wouldnt open, the man on reception came out with a screwdriver and hammer to let us back in!!!

The hotel may have been very busy, it was in a great location however i felt the standards were just not there at all.

• Stayed June 2012
Tadworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just returned from this hotel, Went B&B basis. The breakfast here was of very little choice, unless you wanted to pay extra. Not even a toaster. The owner walks around the dining area like Rab C Nesbitt, one member of the kitchen staff came into view one morning with cotton bungs up his nose. The hotel will not let you take a bottle of water to your room unless you buy from them at a higher price than outside the hotel. If you want a fridge you have to pay. The phones did not work,as the bill had not been paid we were told by the management. The security boxes in the lobby area were also a problem. One night our window grill in the bathroom fell off the wall. The young receptiononist was pleasant, the maintenance guy was ok, and you will meet him & and the cleaner battled on. The only one I think. Give this a miss.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Come to a hotel and get searched every time you walk in as you are not aloud to bring anything from out side a lady had her child's water taken from her and was told she could have when she leaves and had to buy anything from the hotel only , water is a must in this heat , it's like being at school and getting caught eating sweets in class , then the cheek to offer you 10 . 0/0 off if you eat there
, breakfast is poor and we saw the waiter sneeze over the cups as he bought them out , it my would made the tea taste better ! Thomas cook failed to tell us all this after we paid 550 pounds to come here the resort is fantastic food great , steer clear of this place , if the mosquito s don't bite you the hotel will sting you , you have to pay for everything

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have just returned from our 5th stay at the Marcan and were fro the first time dissappointed.

On arrival discovered that this year we had to pay for a fridge. On one occassion i returned to my room to to find that the door had been taken off and there were workmen in the room replacing the electrical socket that took the connector on your key. no warning was given of the work and there was no need for it to be done as the previous socket was not faulty. When I complained to the women in reception she said that she would tell the manager. I subsequently found out that she was the manager. In addition the workmen left the balcony door unlocked.

The pool bar was never staffed until the afternoon and you often had to wait a long time for any service.

The Pool and Pool area were only cleaned once during the 2 weeks that we stayed there. On previous visits the pool and pool area were cleaned every day by 7.30a.m

We have always defended the Marcan from bad comments previously posted, but this time I cannot. I will be looking for a new hotel to stay at next year which will be a shame because this was previously such a great little hotel.

Chris & Kym

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marcan Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!