“Let me set the record striaght...” 5 of 5 stars

Balkaya Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ovacik Mahallesi 1, Oludeniz 48300, Turkey   |
Ranked #85 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Let me set the record striaght...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

To all the Hyacinth Buckets out there complaying about the Balkaya Hotel you really need to take a look at yourselves. If your idea of a holiday is to constantly complain then you shoud all stay at home and let the rest of us enjoy our holiday. The Balkaya Hotel rooms are basic but are clean and tidy yes it could do with a lick of paint how ever you only sleep in it the rest of the time we were out enjoying the Turkish culture. The Manager Sulyman and his wife could not be more accommodating, the food was excellent and the bar staff were supurb. The large family that arrived had mouths like a sewers complaining about not getting free ice cream amongst other things. If you want all of that then go to the the cattle markets of the Spanish allinclusive, and to be frank if i was Sulyman i would have asked them to leave too. All in all the Balkaya offers very good value for money good honest friendly people doing the best they can for you to enjoy your holiday. The location is great as you are away from the noise of Hisaronu and a bus ride from the beach there are pleanty of restaurants within walking distance. The only dissapointing thing was that we had to leave!!!!! We will go back to the Balkaya. IF YOU WANT SILK THEN PAY FOR IT DONT EXPECT SILK WHEN YOU PAY FOR COTTON.

Room Tip: We had a family room which had two floors and was large. A tip is to buy some mosquito nets from Eba...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

First of all I would like to say this is my own review and yes, I am writing it with out any prompting from the hotel manager. This is our fourth year at this hotel, and yes we will be returning next year. There must be something good if we keep going back.
Sulyman and his wife Dilek were friendly and accommodating. Our room was cleaned every day to the extent of clothes folded and shoes paired up! My daughter thought she had a personal maid and wanted to bring the cleaner home with us. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful and we had lots of laughs with them.I have read the bad reviews and am surprised, because this is not our experience at all.I did witness the rude behaviour of a large family whilst there.Yes, the manager did say he was considering calling the police as they were swearing and very abusive to him and to the other guests. I witnessed their foul language in the main reception where there were other guests with their children. When this family left we again witnessed their inappropriate behaviour, swearing and throwing their room key at the manager in front of other hotel guests and children, including their own children. I have to say it didn't make me proud to be British.
This is a small family run hotel where turkish and english families interact with each other and have a good time. Pool clean and a good size.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: family rooms in the main block are good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We are currently in Turkey which has been spoilt by the Balkaya Sulaman the owner does not think anything is wrong with Hotel. the Rooms are FILTHY I don't expect the Ritz but expect don't think Ian being unreasonable,the eating area is not much better or around the pool .PLease Please donot book with BALKAYA there are 15 of us The manager threatened to call the police and told us to get by 12.00 as he has relet our rooms we have now moved to Mesa suites which are perfect and Management can't do enough for you we are not fussy People just wanted A nice holiday DON'T GO TO BALKAYA SULAMAN MUST BE WRITING THE REVIEWS HIMSELF.

• Stayed August 2013
blackburn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

is sulaman writing his own reviews i wonder? i'm very easily pleased but this hotel and the owners are a joke the place is a complete mess and the food hahaha oh god please listen to me and dont go!!!!! listen to the bad reviews i wish i did!!! i went with an open mind but really this place spoilt are holiday u can go to the four star orka for the same price please shop around ..this part of turkey and the turkish people are amazing...sadly this does not include the balkaya the owner and wife i have nothing to gain writting a bad review of this dog pitt excuse of a hotel....i'm warning all holiday makers who work hard for a holiday....just dont go!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Have been home a week and thought I would wait and gather all my thoughts before writing! We had a wonderful 2 weeks at the Balkaya. Most of the positive reviews are spot on! We arrived at about 1.30 am and welcomed by Suleman, the Manager, He couldn't do enough for us the whole holiday and works extremely hard and was always happy. Great friend to my youngest Son too and even offerred him a job lol!!
First impressions were as some said as we were dropped off and left in what seemed a dark road. Once we awoke the next morning we found a lovely hotel, lovely pool and our family room was on two levels. The one thing I havent read before is that you have to pay for air conditioning and at 40 degrees plus this was essential. Also there is a charge for safety deposit boxes but we found it very safe without one. Oh and all inclusive ends at 12.30pm so that was the only drawback.
The food was adequate, sometimes really nice, but there wasnt a lot of choice. However, there was nothing wrong with the food - infact I found it too hot to eat or fancy anything so if you expect lots of choice then I suggest you pay for a 5 star hotel. My husband loved the bottles of Purge beer and certainly had his share. Local gin was not to my taste but brought my own.
Such a great spot to get into Hisaronu by foot or Fethiye and Olu Deniz by Dolmus. So much to see and well worth getting about. Went on Jeep Safari for a second time and it was as much fun, even maybe better than the first time.
The pool was lovely - being smaller it was never over crowded. Sunbeds were a joke and caused a lot of discussion as towels were left on beds for days = however it made us smile and everyone seemed to get on and share beds if needed.
I agree with the positive reviews and those who complain really need to think just how cheap the holiday was! The owners were staying there and celebrated their Golden Wedding with us and ate the same food as us so it cant have been that bad.
And Suleman welcomed feedback and always did his best to please everyone. Thanks to Serje too and all the other very friendly staff. Think we will be returning!! Would definitely recommend!!

Room Tip: Family rooms are great as on two levels so plenty of air.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Good hotel, friendly helpful staff, rooms clean and adequate. As it is a small hotel the residents mixed well and were friendly, not impersonal as you find in a big hotel, everyone speaks to each other. Food okay, not a great selection but ample. Tea, coffee and fresh juice all day, alcohol 11am-11pm when all inclusive. Bar is open until the last person goes to bed. You get what you pay for. I was looking for a cheap break and was pleasantly surprised at what I got. The pool was very clean and certainly not like the descriptions I have read. Sulyman the Manager was nice, helpful and such a hard worker. Serj the barman seemed to work 24/7 and got little sleep. All in all we met a lot of nice people, had a great holiday and would certainly go back there again. To all of those who felt the need to write an awful review you need to book a 5 star hotel and not a 3 star. We are very well traveled and have stayed in several 5 star hotels, this was value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Turned up to the hotel at 3am we were never checked in just a man speaking very little english shaking keys at us! we walked past the pool with no lighting and to the room the lights wouldnt work after about 5mins lights worked. whilst in the room we heard to strange noises, being on ground floor it was slightly nervy anyways. We heard clear foot steps on the balcony (perch) when investigation there was muddy footprints on it that werent there when we arrived. after about 1hour we dosed to sleep only to be woke two hours later with someone banging on the door and twisting the door handle, Two girls in a room somewhere they dont know was very scary. I spoke to the rep and owner and they agreed to move us room in two days when there was one free. Two days later we had still not been moved and the owner said another two days we never actually moved rooms. The room we were in looked like staff quaters and was very unclean fixtures were hanging off in the bathroom sheets were stained bug squished all over wall not lightshades no fire alarm just generally Filthy!!! I have been to a few all inclusive holidays and had a variation on food at breakfast lunch and dinner and paid about the same but the food at The Balkaya was Like it or leave it. And most of the time we left it! We just tried to make the best out of a bad situation. But NEVER will i stay at the Balkaya again! Definatley the worst place iv ever stayed felt disgusting and dirty the whole week!

Room Tip: Dont go on the Ground floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Balkaya Hotel? Share your experiences!