“Nice hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Saray Hotel & Apartments
Ovacik Mah. No:20, Oludeniz 48304 , Turkey   |
Ranked #23 of 48 Oludeniz B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We spent a long weekend at The Saray recently and found it all to be very nice. There are three blocks of rooms nicely spread out in a garden area. The area around the pool is quite large and although the beds are all placed closely together there is plenty room to move them should you wish to. The small building ahead as you go through the gate of the hotel houses a reception/seating area at the front then when you go through to the back the breakfast area/ kichen is there to the left and to right is a bar and more seating overlooking the pool. This area was where most people chose to take breakfast. The breakfast was typically Turkish but perfectly adequate and always fresh. We didn't take any other meals there io I can't comment any further on the food.

We arrived about 4 am and we were greeted by Churchill who swiftly checked us in and took our luggage directly to our room, showing us the pool area on the way. Ours was a family room that would hold 3 although there was only 2 of us so there was ample space. I have to say had there been 3 of us it would have been a tight squeeze. The room was immaculate and the bathroom was gleaming. You only get clean towels every 3 days which had I been there longer wouldn't have suited me. Air conditioning and your safe were extras and we had to pay for the use of these in the morning. The air conditioning wasn't the best but for September temps in sufficed.

We had no problems with being checked for food and drink etc as I had read about in previous reviews. The only problem we encountered was when we checked out they insisted on going to check the mini bar in the room even tho' it was checked daily and we had never used it. It then transpired that it was classed as being used as I had bought a bottle coke at the pool bar and taken it to the room and put it in the fridge which meant I had used the mini bar??? Needless to say we did not pay for the use and they never forced the issue.

The hotel is in an excellent position to enjoy Hisaronu and to catch the dolmus to nearby villages and towns.

Would I use this hotel again? Yes but it wouldn't be my first choice in Hisaronu. We were also unfortunate in that we seemed to have a particularly unfriendly group of tourists staying at the hotel as most of them couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge a "good morning" at breakfast but that's not the hotels fault.

Also not sure if I would use this hotel if I had children as nothing much there for them except a small kids pool and a smallplaypark with some equipment that didn't look too safe - just an observation.

Also prices were very high from the pool bar for coke and water which may be why it's requested that you don't bring anything in. 2TL for a water that costs 29cents at the market and 8TL for a smallish bottle of Pepsi.

Room Tip: Don't take a garden room as everyone would see in your window and be looking down on your balcon...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Just came back from our 4th time at the saray rooms are clean the pool is a lovely size plenty sun beds the view of the mountains from the pool area is very relaxing. Food can't complain about it staff are very friendly nothing's to much trouble just looking at prices for next year cheers and thank you saray for making us feel so welcomed Toby & Alison

• Stayed September 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at the Saray for 15 nights and was not disappointed. The pool is large with walk in steps great for children and elderly guests. The staff were great despite them being understaffed. The room was a large spacious family room in block 3 with a newly refurbished bathroom, fridge, mini bar and LCD TV . Room was cleaned and serviced everyday by very friendly staff. There was plenty of sun beds around the pool which is close to the bar area for drinks and food. The hotel is situated on a back road 200 m from the main strip so very accessible on a flat road.the hotel also had several taxis should you care to use them." Churchill " was very friendly and always made a fuss of my 3 yr old son. James the bar man was also very pleasant. I didn't catch the others names but none of them were anything but helpful and friendly. I will certainly visit again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Folkestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Shared a room with my friend at the back in block 3 which was far enough away from party nights at the bar ( as was block 2) to not be disturbed if you want an early night. The rooms are absolutely fine and the bathrooom and shower great. The maids are very friendly and keep the whole place spotlessly clean. The staff, especially James and Mustafa, are the two front of house and are fantasic at their jobs, they kept us entertained the whole two weeks. All the staff work long hours and must be tired but still nothing is too much trouble for them. I left my heart with the briliant chef Ibo who is just the nicest and funniest company. We met numerous other wonderful guests too numerous to mention, we partied with them and have sworn to return for a reunion next year.
The Saray is situated just the perfect distance from the noisy nightlife in the centre of Hisaranu, we went bed and breakfast so as well as eating at the Hotel, which was great, we were able to try out the other many good restaurants. 'Shine' 'Castello' ' El Nino' being just a few. We also sampled the fish market in Fethiye, which was another brilliant night but far too much food. Everywhere all portions are large so 3 courses is never needed.
Getting around is never a problem, you just flag down a dolmus (small bus) anytime, they all display their destination on a board in the front windscreen and cost very little. They seem to be every 10 minutes or so and its very quick and easy to get either down into Olu Deniz where the beach and lagoon are or into Fethiye to the main shops, old town and harbour. We booked a 6 island boat trip with AliBaba for £10 each and what a brilliant day. Collected and delivered back to your Hotel on all trips, lunch included. I told them they could easily charge £15 per person with maybe special offers for families with kids. I don't know how they do it for such little cost. We also paid £16 for the most amazing jeep safari, again to include lunch, fantasic stops and mud bath all. Screamed with laughter all day using the water guns on each other. Cheers to the bunch from Stoke-on-Trent!!!
Nothing is as expensive as here in the uk and their is nothing you can't buy. If your luggage allowance is low then don't bother buying your toileteries until you get there.They sell most normal wellknown makes at a slightly higher price so just buy their local brands, which are fine.
Overall my holiday was one of the best I ever had and there have been a few. I would definitely return to Turkey, definitely to the same area and definitely to the Saray. PLEASE DONT CHANGE THE STAFF!!!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep before 3 or 4 am (unless you're under the influence) dont choose a room at...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cannock, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Don't listen to the bad reviews!
This was my 4th time in Hisaronu which is a great resort full of everything you would need to have a fab holiday. This was my 3rd time at the saray and the first for my boyfriend (now he's used to the luxuries of life) and we have both had an amazing holiday.

Each time I have been to the saray its been fab, I've been on a family, girly and now couple holiday there and all brilliant.

After reading the reviews, I personally was worried as people wrote about coming for years and never returning but they had me stressed for no reason! Not gonna lie it is quieter without Michael there but James is just as lovely and wasn't rude to anyone nor was any other member of staff. Churchill took us to our room and he didn't ask for a tip but we did give him one.

So all the staff are friendly, and polite and acknowledge everyone. As for the sunbed situation I had no idea what people was on about, I actually took a picture about 11 and there was more empty ones than taken/reserved it was actually nice coming down and choosing where to sit! We even went to the market and forgot to put towels down before we went and we could still choose.

You can't actually bring food in which is standard in all hotels not just the saray, no one searched us and we did sneak some crisps in for late night munchies! So if you are bothered be clever about it but the prices aren't that bad considering yes its not as cheap as the supermarket but you get that over here.

Oh and the pool area is hosed down every night and rooms cleaned daily.
So we have had a fantastic holiday and will be returning in the future!
P.s we didn't buy any meals in the hotel we went out and ate. We didn't buy any member of staff drinks, we did have drinks in the bar if it was still open when we came back. And behavior towards was the same, just saying.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My friend Morag and I were moved to the Saray Hotel after we refused to stay in the Pinara Apartments as they were nothing short of a hovel , Our mood was not the best on arrival as we were wasting the first day of our holiday waiting for Thomas Cook to find us a respectable hotel/apartment but this soon changed as Churchill showed us around the grounds pointing out all the fruit trees he was very informative and proud, when we got to the room it was a huge relief to find that it was very clean , the sheets and towels were white and fresh the bathroom was clean , although there was not much drawer space (we tended to live out of the suitcases) the furniture looked new and was sturdy as the room was on the ground floor we had a double size patio which again was spotless and hosed down in the week we were there .the ladies that looked after the rooms always had a smile and said hello .
We went on to have a very relaxed holiday with the help of the friendly staff with James and Mustapha waiting on us day and night the food was excellent and a welcome change to be able to try some Turkish dishes and not just typical English food with chips served with everything !!!
If I was to have any negative comments it would be that there was not enough staff ... You cannot expect three people to look after 100+ people getting drinks/food orders clearing/resetting tables trying to give everyone a fare share of their time while being aware that they are not spending to much time chatting and upsetting anyone !! Having worked in hospitality for many years I know that its difficult to keep everyone happy but with enough staff this is not impossible and if the customer goes away feeling happy and spoilt they tend to want to return which I hope do again
Thank you for making our holiday one we will never forget and for all good reasons
Donna and Morag.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Me and my family have just returned from the saray and we had a brill holiday didn't want to come home we stayed half board the breakfast was ok my daughter didn't really like anything so I explained to them that I would be bringing things in for her as she needs to eat breakfast they was fine with this evening meal well we thought this was excellent every night we ate in there was no point wasting money eating out ; we also brought food and drink in we never got searched but we was sly with this I would come back to this hotel :-)

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Saray Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!