“Avoid This Place” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
College Station, Texas
“Avoid This Place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Read the reviews from the posts and was hesitant--people either liked or were unhappy, but I decided to give it a try. Big mistake! I went early because other contributors noted the noise when crowded. The number of wait staff outnumbered the patrons, but virtually all were uninterested in the clientele. I had to finally ask for a menu. Though I was clearly ready to order, noone took notice. Finally got another waiter's attention. While I was waiting I could not help but notice three wait staff gathered around a computer at one table and no less than six at another table talking or texting on their phones. My order was delivered unceremoniously and both the tepsi kebabi and Zahter salad (recommended by others) were average in taste. The real shock came with the bill. I pointed out that my kebap was $13 TL on the bill, but $12 on the menu, The waiter was clearly annoyed I pointed this out but recalculated the tab. I was charged $8 TL for a plate of grass I did not order as well as $1TL for "service." Could not get out of there fast enough. I agree with the reviewer who said the place has gone downhill to the tourist crowd. As a customer I am low maintenance--tried to converse in Turkish, was polite and pleasant. Tomorrow night I will go to one of the small cafes that line the streets and avoid these 'classy' places!

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
“Best Food at Antakya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This very centrally located restaurant serves the best, the most delicious local food in Antakya but hélas, the ambiance does not match the food standards, it's very plain and ordinary. The restaurant has 2 floors: the entrance is a bit packed, the second floor is larger and less suffocating, so I recommend to sit at the second floor. Make sure you go there hungry as there are a lot of different dishes to taste. We ordered "kağıt kebabı", "tepsi kebabı", "ali nazik" as main dishes and they were all very delicious, my favorite was tepsi kebabı. The meals are all very hot, so make sure you notify the waiters in case you can not tolerate that. The service is very swift, very friendly and the personnel is very talkative in case you like to chat. The price is very reasonable especially when compared with Istanbul prices.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“The most amazing food I had in my 2 weeks stay in Turkey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Antakya is a sad, dirty and very badly shaped city but this restaurant in the old part of town by a lot of shop and in front of a synagogue is amazing. We got a choice of different mezze and some lamb as a main. I do not have a sweet tooth but the kayadif cheese cake was absolutely scrumptuous

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hoquiam, Washington
“Described as the best restaurant in Antakya by our hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My wife really loved the food. I've been to better restaurants in the region. Service is excellent. A bit pricey. Location is excellent and was right next to our hotel. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone not on a budget.

Visited May 2012
istanbul
“my best in Antakya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

if you have only one night in the city, you must choose this place. plenty options of the local foods, very good taste and service. Reasonable price ( appr. 15 euro per person with one glass of drink). Please leave some space for the kunefe for the final, you will not regret.

• Visited April 2012