“Worth seeing but do not expect too much” 3 of 5 stars

Demre, Myra and Kekova
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hull
17 attraction reviews
“Worth seeing but do not expect too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The title says it all really. There are well preserved cliff tombs but one cannot get too close so viewing is from a distance. The guide provided as a part of an organised coach tour of the Lycian Coast did well to get across the essentials but the visit was a very short one. The Amphitheatre is in reasonable condition. Nearby, we took an optional boat trip to the sunken city of Kekova. In truth, this was disappointing as it was pot-luck as to whether or not the glass bottom bit of the boat that one was looking through actually went over anything of import. So, no, we did not any amphora lying on the sea-bed.

Visited October 2013

• Turkish first
Kent, United Kingdom
99 attraction reviews
“Theatre And Tombs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The tombs have been cut into the rock face on each side of the theatre and are so close together that there is hardly any part of the cliff side unused. Some of the tombs are plain but many are elaborately decorated with columns and carvings. The reliefs can be dated back to the 4th and 5th centuries BC and generally depict family scenes or show men in military dress and most of them are still in excellent condition.
We were not allowed to enter any of the tombs (health and safety) but the panorama was good enough, and the eastern section can be approached closely with ease.
The theatre is very well preserved and is the largest in this part of Turkey, with an original capacity of approximately 10, 000 people, and in fact the theatre is still used today for festivals, concerts and the like.
Between the car park and the entrance is a bazaar with the usual array of shops and restaurants, but we were not hassled by the traders, they simply made jovial requests to buy their genuine fakes.
Although Myra is not close to the major resorts, it is worth the journey, particularly if the day out includes St Nicholas Church at Demre and Kekova, we travelled from Side, more than 4 hours by coach but our day was well worth the effort

Visited June 2013
Seattle, Washington
12 attraction reviews
“ancient tombs, theatre, ruins. and pickpockets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We saw Myra as part of a multi attraction excursion. It was a fascinating place for me and my wife. I knew nothing about what we were about to visit. The tour we were on was in Russian. My wife speaks English and Russian. Her sister and brother in law only Russian. So I didn't understand any of the narration on this excursion. When you walk into the ruins, a rock formation, perhaps 200 feet tall greets you. I'm guessing at the height. My wife finally explained to me that the carved surfaces on that rock formation were actually ancient tombs. Those at the top levels were tombs of the richer people due to the extra expense of getting your tomb cut into solid rock at the higher levels. Quite interesting and quite well preserved considering their age.

Right next door to the tombs is an ancient theatre with surprising acoustics. We did not go down to the floor level or the stage, but we could easily hear people down there talking from quite a distance away.

This attraction would be difficult to explore if you are unable to walk unassisted. There are some steps that need to be climbed in order to get from the tomb side over to the theatre side. They don't take an athletes abilities to maneuver about, but these ruins do take a small amount of effort to visit. We enjoyed them. Wouldn't feel it necessary to see them again, but once was nice.

The short rock tunnel that you pass through from the tombs to the theatre were the nearly perfect spot for pickpockets. They had been seen and the others in our tour had been warned about them, but again, not speaking Russian left me at a bit of a disadvantage. My wife finally decided to warn me about it, when the pickpockets were a couple feet away from me. They were all children. The oldest, and the leader of the bunch, was maybe 7 or 8 years old. One of the younger ones would stop you and ask for some help, and while you were distracted, the others would try to take whatever they could from what you were carrying. This didn't ruin the experience for me, but certainly gave me something else to think about besides the ruins which is what I was attempting to enjoy.

Visited October 2012
Riga, Latvia
“Myra Ruins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

In a really good condition the ruins still are. I enjoyed this place very much. It is worth to visit this place.

Visited July 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Really unexpected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went to Myra by way of fairly undae roads but the trip was well worth it.
This was probably the best set of Ruins we saw in this area of Turkey.
The village of Myra also had the Basillica of St. Nicholas which was also very interesting to visit.
Definitely worthy of a visit if you are staying in the Kalkan area.

Visited July 2013