“A great resort but limited childcare facilities” 4 of 5 stars

Ela Quality Resort Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Iskele Mevki 480 Parsel, Belek 07500, Turkey   |
Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in Belek
London, United Kingdom
“A great resort but limited childcare facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Came here for a week's holiday in July. If you're English, generally the word 'quality' in the name of a restaurant or hotel indicates the very reverse. However this great family resort bucks the trend. Plus it's about 30 mins from Antalya airport.

It's a large, well-run place with several swimming pools and plenty of space. It's sufficiently spacious so that you never feel crowded. The facilities are good, with organised fitness classes throughout the day. You can pay for water sports. The standard of cleanliness and decor in the rooms is high. We stayed in a duplex forest view room and were not disappointed. A small point is that the air con isn't sufficient to keep the upstairs cool, so the children complained about the cold downstairs whilst the adults sweltered upstairs.
A very good wifi connection is available throughout the entire complex, including outside at the pools. Also once you have logged on, you are on the network for the whole of your stay. Why do other places make us log on every day when something so small as a continuous connection is such a people-pleaser?
There is a reasonable fitness centre, but the doors are kept open so the air con doesn't make an impact in the heat. It can get pretty unbearable in there. Also it doesn't open until 8am.

The food is really very good. The all-inclusive meals are served in a huge restaurant, buffet-style, with a tremendous variety of different foods. Everything is fresh and appetising, with pancakes and omelettes made to order. The staff are very friendly and genuinely seem to want to help. You can also have lunch at the pool. There are a number of 'a la carte' restaurants on site if you don't want to eat in the same place three times a day. These all attract a €10 per adult and €5 per child charge. It's worth it for the adults, but very limited if your child isn't an adventurous eater, like mine. The best ones were the Turkish ('Kushane') and the Italian ('La Perla'), which happen to be the least and most popular restaurants on site respectively. The worst was the French one and the barbecue.
The main disappointment was the kids club. If your child is 5 or younger, it's great. Otherwise it's rubbish. Older children will not want to associate with babies, and although those from age 13 and above have their own room with snooker table and X-box, aside from a few sports games, they are essentially left to their own devices. This means that there's nothing arranged and nowhere to go for those aged about 6 to 12, who will feel too old for the 'Minis' and too young for the 'Teens'. This is the reality and not what is presented in the literature. It is a pity.
As to the other guests, they are mainly Russian or German. This means that the staff don't always have great English, but you can normally make yourself understood.
Whilst we were there, the hotel was asking all customers for feedback by questionnaire after every meal, and at the pool. I was highly impressed to receive two phone calls in our room following up on our comments. Whether any changes were made I really couldn't say.
A very good resort and highly recommended.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Excellent resort for spending your family with kids holiday. The rooms are spacious and well furbished + quality amneties (even for kids) + free WiFi. Apart from the nice Mediteranean beach you can enjoy a series of large swimming pools (both for adults and kids). One of the pros you'll value most is that you don't need to "leave" your towel early in the morning - there is room for everybody. Entertainment both for kids and adults is professional and of good quality. ... And the food is fresh, extremely varied, accompanied by a very good-with-a-smile sevice. We'll definetely come back next summers ...

Room Tip: For two families you can choose interconnected rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were at the Hotel for 3 weeks by June 2013. As a family with two babies I would NOT recommend ELA to any other family with babies. These are my impressions:

BEACH AREA: Sand and sea is perfect. BUT be very very careful of sunshielding umbrellas. These beach umbrellas having sharp pointing edges are placed very low, almost side by side at the hight of eye or head (between 120cm to 180cm). You and family members will be injuring themselves definitly by trying to go through the umbrellas to the beach. Dangerous for the kids. Be careful about injuring your eyes!

GARDEN AREA: Garden is big, with many walking paths and green areas. BUT be careful about the many drunken guests or underaged kids driving a segway with full speed without any warning all around the walking ways of the garden area (there is an ambitious Segway Rental in the garden area of the Hotel)! The same problem is also present by the hotel staff driving stressfully their electric service vehicles all around with high speed without really taking notice of the guests. I saw some accidents that these segways drivers hurt themselves or the small children walking around. especially around sunset time don't let your small children walk around alone and be close to them. Also there are thorny plants around "lake houses". We injured ourselves many times with their thorns. Our air filled plastic pool toys were also damaged. Thorny plants in an resort with kids and half naked guests? what the hotel director was thinking is a mystery for me??
Also be careful at night time about the laser devices that are beind sold by the markets in the hotel area. Some kids have these and at night time they laser point every where, dangerous for your babies eyes if they got this laser.

KIDS CLUB: This was the largest kids club that we have seen in an hotel, food is good compared to other restaurants and the staff was trying to give their best. BUT there are three severe lack of security issues:
1) The entrance door of the kids club is always open, no locking is present. Kids can go out or inside freely. Usually there is one person sitting at the entrance but with that kind of overcrowd they dont have any kind of control. Anybody can easily go in and take your children or baby out of the kids club, no one would see that, no cameras, no recording.. When you ask them "where is my child?" they look to each other and nobody knows anything. So dont leave the kids alone in the kids club. Not enough staff for that many kids.
2) When older kids hurt the small ones, they cry heavily but in that big club area nobody see / ignore them. Also if you are unlucky, there are some "problem kids" terrorising others (sometimes seriously by hitting with some thing to their head), although we complained to guest relations about these kids and although they are well known for their misbehaviour, nothing has changed. Hotel said these are regularly coming, good paying customers, they cannot do anything.
3) Sound levels during minidisco times are extreme loud. Kids may get a partial hearing disability! I measured (by iphone "decibel" app) 102 dB by minidisco, max. should be 85dB (what i measured is almost six times more than the recommandation of the health organisations). I warned the staff for extreme loudness, firstly the dj refused to set it down, he told he is doing since 12 years and this sound level is good for the "ambiance"?? Even after I warned the director of the miniclub staff they couldnt regularly managed to play the sound at an acceptable loudness. SO we did not participate at the minidisco although we fully paid. If you want your kids to visit minidisco please install the iphone app called "decibel" to check the loudness or your children will also be partially deaf at some degree by the end of vacation. Hotel manager is not aware that his hotel is systematically diseabling the guests kids.

FOOD:
Main restaurant (enderun) food was really poor, overcrowded compared to other Belek hotels. Also many waiting queues at the buffet stands. Worst, I found a metal part in my mouth when drinking lentil soup! just by change I did not injured myself or swallow it. we called the chef to show the metal part. He came, took the part in the hand, looked asthonished . he just said sorry and that was it. (I have a photo of the metal part, me and the chef) from that moment on I could not eat anything without first checking in the mouth. We did not give any food to babies without checking thoroughly. Be very careful what you eat at the ela quality.

Concept restaurants food were definitly better. Especially fish and italian restaurants were ok. BUT these are extra charged and definitly check the invoice you sign. I signed on our first visit at the fish restaurant by darkness without checking the small details written in unreadable handwriting. it turned out to be an extra 150 Euro for a bottle of wine that we definitly did not drink. On check out day when the airport service waiting for us they wanted to charge this extra 150 Euro from us. I refused to pay, they showed me my signature on the invoice. Restaurant chef came and said he did not remember me although he was greeting me ever since. After 25 minutes of struggle with the involvment of the hotel manager they said sorry. Be careful at ela concept restaurants what you sign! Dont blindly trust the staff, they are seasonly employed.

ROOM SERVICE:
We found many borken glass splitters in our room at first, probably from the previous guests. These galss splitters could be seriously harmful for the babies crawling on the ground. so check the rooms before you move in. We called room service and after 2 tries it was ok. After that we did not have any other problems. Room service react friendly and helpfully to our calls and room service was the best working part of the hotel. Thank you room service!

SLEEP QUALITY:
I can only report about the rooms "lake houses". Beds are clean, baby beds are new, clean and good. Unfortuantely the sleep quality is very very poor. Reason is the over dimensioned "split" type air condition devices. These "split" ac devices are loud and designed to cool houses but not the hotel rooms with only 34 m2. when you start the AC it is loud we and the kids were freezing immediately under the cold draft directed to the bed. when you shut ac down, it is very warm again and you start sweating just in 2 minutes. Day time is not a big problem but night time this is horrible. Temperature regulation unit cannot coupe with this problem. We and the babies got sick, the dr. at the hotel said this happens to many guests. Hotel should install "hotel type special air conditioning devices" which are quite and which could work during the night without freezing the quests. Hotel director should try to sleep in one of these rooms with his family to understand what I mean.

Also 30-40 times a day you will be hearing the service cars full with dish plates rolling along the walking way from the lake houses to the beach direction. With hard wheels they make an enormus loudness when rolling on the rough surface of the wlaking way. On the other hand they carry towels and trash with sevice cars with smooth platic wheels so they are very quite. why??

GUEST RELATIONS DESK:
If you complain about other guests for their misbehaviour, guest relation wants to know your room numer. If you refuse to give them, your complain is not taken. You are alone with your problem, hotel does not help you further. If you give your room number then you are again facing another problem with the guest you complained! The problematic guest can get your whole private information and this is a severe security problem up to where you live. We had this with "terrorising kids" at the kids club. Since we do not want to deal with unknown russian parents with their known misbehaivours we had to take back our official complain. In my opinion hotel should take the responsability, deal with my complain anonymously and should not put my falmily under risc by the problematic guests.

CONCLUSION:
Only if you are a lucky one, if you can ignore security issues and dont concern deeply about your kids, you have a change to enjoy the vacation by ELA.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my third trip to the Ela Quality Resort. Two years with my family and this year with my boyfriend. As ever, the hotel and staff were first class. I disagree with previous comments about the hotel staff being unhelpful and not speaking english. My boyfriend is lactose intolerant and a couple of months before we went, i emailed Guest Relations at the Ela to ask if they provided soya milk in the restaurant. I received a prompt reply from the hotel saying that they did provide soya milk and also that if needed they would provide a specialised lactose free diet menu. Very impressed. The staff in the restaurant are excellent, especially Ozkan our waiter. He had the soya milk waiting every morning. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the entertainment is fantastic. There is something for everyone. We especially liked the White Party and Pier Party. The food is first class and you would be hard pushed not to be able to find something you like. Yes there are a lot of russians in the hotel but if you are looking for "little britain" then don't go to Belek. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Loch Lomond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just got back from a one week stay with my husband, kids and parents. The hotel is very impressive and I would agree it is 5 star. The reception areas are stunning and the pools are great with lots of choice for all. There were plenty of sunbeds so this was not a problem. The restaurant food was excellent with lots of choice for all nationalities. We did not use the a la carte restaurants but walked past a few of them during the day and they looked lovely.The lake rooms and villas looked amazing, maybe next time....
Facilities for kids were brilliant, especially the teen club and lots of activities to keep them occupied in addition to the water park. My fear was that this may be too much and a bit like Butlins but not the case as you don't even know what is on unless you go out of your way to look.
The evening entertainment was the best I've ever seen in a hotel abroad. The shows were first class, acrobatics, dancing etc. Not to be missed.
A visit to the market in Belek on a Saturday is well worth it but take lots of money as I could have spent a small fortune there.
To summarise I couldn't find anything wrong with this hotel. It is so clean and luxurious that we will definitely go back at some point. I do agree that some of the guests (ex soviet countries) are lacking in manners however this is obviously a cultural thing and nothing to do with the hotel as the Turkish staff were great.

Room Tip: We were in a garden view room which has the sun in the morning and is cooler at night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stay already two times in that beautifull hotel. The rooms are very clean and lovely! The hotel has different rooms in the mean hotel and also in villa's and rooms directly connet with one the swimming pools. Breakfast is super and also the other mails are outstanding!
Every day you can do many activity's and also for the children there is a beautifull club!
The lovely garden brings you to the beach.
In one word: " the place to be " in Belek!

Room Tip: I have taken two times a room in the building above the fitness and inside swimming pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We travelled to this hotel in June with 2 small children. We tried to contact the hotel before we travelled to ask a few simple questions, each time we got through (in itself a mission as we kept getting hung up on) the staff were quite rude and could not answer as they didn't speak ANY English.

We arrived late at night following a delayed flight and again were met by very rude reception staff. The bellboy was even quite embarrassed and tried to diffuse the situation.

We were very pleased with our room, the kids had their own bathrobes and slippers and a teddy bear on each bed. Then we realised that despite booking a garden view balcony room we infact had a car park view no balcony. This did not get rectified for 2 days as the hotel was full. Again reception staff were very rude about this but guest relations were very helpful and compensated us for the inconvenience. The air conditioning goes off every morning at about 3 am til about 5am which makes sleeping during these hours difficult as it gets very hot.

Buffet restaurant was disappointing, think this is mainly catered for the abundance of Russians at the hotel, we struggled to find anything we liked and kids even more so. The a la carte restaurants for which you have to pay a 10 euros per person booking fee were not fantastic either. The best meal we had was the one we cooked ourselves at the beach BBQ which you still have to pay 10 euros each for even though you do the cooking!!?

The childrens facilities are fantastic, the Everland Q centre is great with indoor and outdoor play areas and childrens buffet and shows. The main entertainment was very good with regards to the shows in the arena, the music in the pool bar is far too loud which is a shame as it was a lovely setting. The bar staff at the pool bar were extremely rude. Restaurant staff were a bit dismissive until you offer them a tip, all of a sudden they can't do enough for you!

The childrens pool area is very good as it is completely shaded. Also main pool area is very nice and there was always plenty of sun loungers.

The spa is great, we used the Hammam which was lovely, bit disappointed that the indoor pool was closed during our stay as it looked really nice in the brochure.

In all its a lovely place but we were not made to feel welcome at all. Considering the amount we paid and having been to the sensatori Tenerife the month before, we were a little disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ela Quality Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!