“Great Hotel let down only by Location” 5 of 5 stars

Xanadu Resort Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Acisu Mevkii, Belek 07500, Turkey   |
Ranked #18 of 78 Hotels in Belek
Scotland
“Great Hotel let down only by Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

My wife and I and 2 very good friends visited this hotel for 2 weeks in early September.We could not fault the hotel in any way apart from the location.
Food - We could not find fault with this in any way and I am a fussy eater we ate in the buffet every night and sat in the Antique Garden which is situated at the rear of the restaurant.The choice of food was excellent and always well presented.The staff where always very attentive and polite.
We ate breakfast at the Secret Garden every day this was great very peaceful and quiet the food was good and omelettes made fresh for you.
Before arriving I asked for a high floor room sea view this is exactly what we got 3rd floor overlooking the main pool and with a sea view.
The location of this hotel is what let it down it is miles from anywhere and unless you are a golfer there is nothing in the near vicinity without getting a taxi.
This did not spoil our holiday in any way as the hotel is excellent.We hired a taxi which took us to Antalya and the driver waits for 5hrs 75euros well worth the money.
Also took a taxi in to Belek lasted less than 1hr BLACKPOOL with the sun enough said.
To finish this is a superb hotel with excellent food and service the location for me is its only downfall.
We have already booked to go to its sister hotel the Xanadu Island Resort next year.
This is just our personnel views on this hotel.
Would we use it again maybe but only for a week as we like to go out for walks in the evening and visit local villages and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
cambridgeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Having read so many fabulous reviews prior to my trip I was so very much looking forward to a week of luxury. Don't get me wrong this is not a bad hotel but for the following reasons it's not as good as others in Belek.
Poor points:- Cold breakfast food, Yuk!! cultlery whisked away before you had finished eating; terrible service in the Buffet in the evening. NOT a 5 star experience!
Lobby bar staff miserable and inefficient.
A'la carte restaurant (French) only one waiter serving mexican and french areas. Left with no wine or water and very slow service.In other hotels like Cornelia Deluxe the staff are falling over themselves to serve you and a bottle of house wine is served in the a'la carte areas.
I have read and written many reviews and they are normally good. But I found my self very irritated by these poor standards, and Im generally calm and relaxed on holiday.
The good points:- thankfully outweighed the bad ones,
Quick check in and porter service to our bungalow garden room ,which had recently been refurbished and not as advertised on the hotel site or brochure. Nice furnishings, comfortable bed and the usual standard things. Our bungalow was in a peacefull rear are of the hotel you felt as though you were in a different resort altogether. Perfect if you enjoy the peace and tranquility. I fed the red squirrels nuts every day they would come up to you to be fed.
Food in the Italian and Turkish restaurants were fantastic as was the service.
Lunchtimes at the secret garden and pool bar were good. try the gozleme that the lady makes in the tent!
Bar service in Pool bar day and night was first class and the friendly staff there deserved their tips..
The entertainment was good and enjoyable the animation team work very hard.
Give the Irish bar a miss unless you like Benidorm or Blackpool because that's what it reminded me of. But that's my personal opinion of course and appreciate that its personal choice that matters.
Pools were all clean and lovely.
Laundry and pressing service was just great, especially with so many linen clothes, having them pressed and returned that day was just heaven.
Guest relations and reception staff were highly professional.
All in All if the staff at this hotel were as efficient as serving you as they are at cleaning and clearing up it would be perfect.
Would I return ? NO!I'm afraid not, its back to Cornelia Delux or Gloria Serenity Hotels for me next time.

• Stayed September 2010
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

My husband and I chose this hotel to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, we were not disappointed. The hotel was spotless, even the beach was regularly tidied! The rooms were cleaned every day, and towels changed when requested. There were plenty of sunbeds around the pool and the beach, and I really liked having beach/pool towels provided.

The food was amazing, there was so much choice from the buffet restaurant and we also went to the Italian a la carte, delicious! The waiters and waitresses were very attentive and always made sure we had drinks during meal times.

I would also recommend the spa - we had a Turkish bath which was most relaxing. We watched some of the shows in the evening which the entertainment team did, some fantastic dancing!

As for location it is about a 10 minute taxi ride to Belek from the hotel - visit the Saturday market - lots of fun haggling for your goods. We were only there for a week and didn't want to leave....we hope to return again in the near future.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

Having been really impressed with this hotel in 2009 we decided to return in Sept 2010 and It was great to be recognised and welcomed by the terrace and dining room staff. We were disappointed with our room, 1166, which overlooked a brick wall however, the room was spotless and towels were changed in the morning and evening with the turn down service.

The one thing that let the hotel down this year was the service in the dining room; there seemed to be less staff than last year. The waiters seemed to be rushed off their feet and on a few occasions we had finished our main course before we were offered drinks.
I also think there should be a dress code in the dining rooms, after all this is a 5 star hotel and I have stayed in other hotels where jeans, shorts and flip flops were not permitted in the dining room. We visited both the French and Italian restaurants and were very disappointed, the food was not as good as the main buffet restaurant which was excellent.

The terrace and pool areas were immaculate. The beach was cleaned daily and rubbished was collected regularly from the lounger areas.

Unfortunately, I wasn't well during our stay and had to visit the doctor. As previously mention by others this facility is an absolute rip off. I paid 240 euros for cough medicine, anti -inflammatory tablets and eye drops. He insisted that I visit twice a day for 3 days to use a nubuliser which was a complete waste of time. I was told to come to see him at 10am. and after waiting for half an hour was told he would be there at 7pm.

All in all we enjoyed the holiday but not as much as last year. It is still excellent value for money but the service issue needs to be addressed for the hotel to maintain it's 5* status.

Eastcote
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I have listed a quite detail review as I am so grateful to other posters for their help in choosing this hotel as I love my holidays and so want a very good standard .
My husband and I had lovely 9 night holiday here in Early September , wonderfully relaxing , great food , drink and entertainment , you don’t need to leave the complex which is good as there’s not much around it but we had a fabulous time and will definitely go back . Prior to arriving I emailed hotel and asked for a room overlooking the Secret Garden which is what we got!
Accommodation
Spacious but not exactly luxurious more functional . Room cleaned daily and has the usual amenities. TV – enough in English to listen to when relaxing . Housekeeping team always very efficient and friendly. Safe large enough. Fridge with cold drinks beer and soft drinks water etc. Hair dryer in bathroom slow and very hot so not ideal .Would bring my own next time. Light not great in room but bathroom very well lit and had shaving mirror.
Bathroom had bath and shower always loads of towels, tissues and gel, shampoo and body lotion, shower cap, ear buds and cotton pads + bath robes and slippers. Had used mine a lot and they were looking bit dirty so maid replaced them for me without asking .
Not that many plug in points so a tip for you all – BRING an extension lead, then plugged in all my chargers to that.
Got wireless on 3 occasions only just to check e-mail , got good enough connection in our room . When I wanted to check in on line before we left just got key to the business centre and used that , there’s even a printer there too.
Laundry service, great, they check the labels if there is a problem they won’t wash it , but we got quite a lot done and they were all returned in cellophane on a hanger ready for packing in the case.
Grounds –
The grounds of the hotel are in a wooded area with lovely gardens, flowers tress bushes – absolutely immaculate. DO go to the bbq on Tuesday lunchtime in the trees , it was magical with operatic music , food and drink ..just gorgeous and one of my holiday highlights.
Pools -
There are 3 pools at the hotel and each has its own differences. The Antique pool is nearer the hotel, That’s where the little hut is situated where you collect your clean towels and it was the only place .
Large main area seemed full of families and has several slides/chutes. a large walk in pool.... this pool has very loud music playing and a bar and a childrens pool.
The 3rd pool is the Secret Garden or the quiet pool, there’s also a baby pool here too. Pools are clean although there are no lifeguards present. Plenty of sun loungers but if you want a preferred spot even in September then you had to do the early run with your towels to get “your “spot.
We spent the mornings mainly by the secret garden pool because the music was ridiculously loud by the other pools, then went to the beach in the afternoon when the breeze came up. Was really annoyed though at the amount of people who would stick a towel on a chair then bugger off for the day, leaving many others who wanted some peace ..with no bed plus the others who would save beds in the sun and beds in the shade and move between the two , like they were royalty ! Really off and very selfish, if you’re reading this I hope you feel ashamed because they were not German they were British . (suggestion to the Xanadu give everyone a peg so they can only save 1 bed each) .
All the beds had mattresses and their own shade – wonderful idea !! Also as the pool was so large , many of us had lilos and could float around quite happily cooling off with plenty of space for swimming but again sadly there were those who spoilt that on occasions by throwing balls at each other quite hard .

Beach
- clean, good watersports available, snack bar area and much cooler by the pools. The walk down to beach area is lovely, landscaped , toilets changing rooms and powerful showers ,with the bar and snacks very near the beach.Lots of sun beds (setback quite far from the shoreline due to the turtlespotentially laying eggs in that area) but you could move them if you wanted too. No mattresses here but massive sunshades . We would come down there in the afternoon for the breeze and pick up water and fresh fruit from the bar ..really refreshing. I swam in the sea every day but it was quite choppy and hard to get in and out due to the pebbles . The sand looks bit dirty because it’s pebbly . Would have preferred to have a shower nearer the beach but quiet often used the shower by the watersports which did not seem at all busy. TIp if you like swimming in the sea do it early in the morning , it was like apond the day I did it.
Bars
- there are so many and all well stocked in terms of drinks and staff , lots of waiters . Great variety available and always cocktails, liqueurs and coffee on offer in addition to the usual mix . The "Irish" Bar is NOT Irish . Needless to say it’s where many Brits headed late evening and a great place to socialise. There was a disco but we never made it through the door even. Think we tried most of them and then settled into a routine of drink before dinner outside reception, dinner then coffee and liqueur in outside area above the restaurant sitting under the stars, do make sure you explore and find this area , it's very romantic subdued lighting but I cannot see my food without glasses so we never ate there , just did the coffee which was lovely and relaxing . Then down to the Xanadu bar , live bands then onto entertainment in that area at 10 , back to that bar or Irish Pub ...we were very impresssed with the entertainment as it was exactly that !!

Food / Restaurants
- there are several (6- Turkish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, French and Mexican) a la carte restaurants which can be booked 24hrs in advance via the "guest relations" team within reception. However, we had real problems if you didn’t get there by 8.30 in the morning, a real pain when youre in teh Secret Garden for breakfast .
However, The main restaurant was so good it wasn’t a problem at all . It is buffet style with seating both inside and out. The choice of food is amazing and ALL excellent quality. Lunchtime was a huge choice of salads plus main courses , freshly baked breads etc no wonder we both put on weight !! Evenings all mains are outside and there was always an array of freshly cooked meat and fish bbq'd or grilled by the chefs ...really really excellent .
Nearly forgot you can have room service free too ..we requested a kettle fo rtea etc when we arrived and it was all there within the hour .

Staff
-truly excellent. ALL are polite, helpful and seem genuinely happy to work at Xanadu AND help whenever they can. I totally agree that It's the staff that make this hotel stand out and I was also impressed that you do not see managers or supervisors managing or supervising – everyone just gets on with their jobs brilliantly.

Golf
- large number of golfers here as they say the courses in the area are excellent .There is a small putting green on site as well as a general practice area BUT you have to bring your own clubs and balls as you cannot hire them there ..a bone of contention for many , many people . My husband played 1 game and enjoyed it very much, cost does add up though with transfers, round, buggy , hiring clubs etc , he enjoyed it but it was very ,very hot. We met a group of 24 golfers from Ascot who were great fun and they were on their second visit and said that it worked out cheaper to play there all week, being on All inclusive than go to Spain now .

Clientele
- there seemed to be a real mix , Germans , French, Russian Italian but the majority seem to be Russian and British. However, have to say didn’t have any problems. the Russians are a little rude but we spoke with many other people and it was very very sociable .
Other stuff
We organised this ourselves BA flights and hotel arranged transfer(£70 it was excellent) booked direct with the hotel very easy to do and the bonus was we did 9 nights on dates to suit us and didnt pay till we got there.

We went to the Saturday market in Belek which sells the normal touristy things , bags , shoes, knitwear Tshirts sweatshirts, Turkish delight, pots , belts sunglasses, you name it . you do have to haggle but whatever they say , it will be half what they’re expecting really. Also they will take lira or Euros and that seemed to be the case for everything including the golf.
Also really recommend a Turkish bath – what a laugh that was...arranged it from home to go on the first morning and we both got a cracking tan and my husband never sunbathes he’s always in the shade . Brilliant exfoliation and massage .Paid over ther odds so if you're going to do teh trips etc it seemed that MAtrix who sit in reception offered teh best deals.

So we will definitely come back , travel , accommodation, amenities, food drink and entertainment were fantastic ..what more do you want from a holiday ! Do contact me if you have any questions but you will enjoy this place I promise .....so go on book it .

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I've just returned home from a 1week stay at Zanadu. Where do i start... i'd read the reviews before we left and i can confirm the hotel certainly deserves its reputation! The staff where very friendly and as mentioned always happy to help. This was a big plus for us! 10/10

Being a fusspot when it comes to food, i was more then happy with the quality of food and choice! There was always plenty of nice fresh fruit too! 10/10

The hotel is very clean as well as the outdoor grounds. The pools are really nice too, we spent most of the time in the main bottom pool as we have young children which was perfect. If you walk through the trees to the 'secret garden' the larger pool is very peaceful as you can not hear the music ( and tends to be more an adult pool) having said that, we went out of school term so quite often were the only ones in the pool! bliss! There's a real sense of space as i'm sure there was more people there then it appeared, we never had to wait for service or que!!
We did take the bus to the market which is about 2 miles away (Saturdays only) but i was glad to be back at the hotel!

Our experience at Xanadu was excellent,.. i would, without doubt return!.. My only mild complaint would be the entertainment,.. The music started from 9pm till 12'ish which was loud from our room and the other shows started too late for us (10pm) also, nothing to do with the hotel itself, but the flight was hard going, we went with Thomas Cook and was delayed.. then having to sit for 4 hours in such small seats was hard!! Thomas cook flight 2/10

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
DERRY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

This is my 3rd year to stay in this hotel and for us it ticks all the boxes for a wonderful relaxing holiday.The hotel is listed as a 5 star and it certainly can justify every star and more to get your laundry collected and delivered back to your room and hung up in the wardrobe is more than a 5 star hotel service.
This is an hotel that has maintained its high service, has many returning visitors and I am looking forward to be holidaying in Xanadu again next year

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Xanadu Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!