“WoW WoW WoW” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
somerset
“WoW WoW WoW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

What can i say about this Hotel.
After reading some of the reviews on here i was thinking of changing hotels. I am so glad that i didn't
From the time we got off the mini bus outside the hotel i was so happy. bell boys waitting at the door for your luggage, then you were taken to your room.
I had booked a JR Suite with sea view, and we weren't disappoint with the room. we have a large lounge with a sofa and one chair and also a desk and a flat screen tv.
the bedroon opened out onto the balcony where you had to sunbeds, we had a double bed in the bedroom with also a flat screen tv.

The buffet resturants was lovely could not be faulted,

They had three pools two which were very loud but there was a secret garden pool that was alot more quieter.

The Beach isn't much to right home about but tell you the truth we only went there once, as we stayed by the pool or in the gardens.

Would i go back to this hotel yes we would

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Let me start this review by saying that me, my wife and children (boys 11 & 12) had a nice relaxing holiday, but I'm affraid the Xanadu just never lived up to it's billing.In our opinion this is not a 5 star hotel.
We arrived 2nd July for 2 weeks.
Room - I would describe as functional. We stayed in a "family room" (Thomas Cooks description) in the Bungalows, this consisted of 1 twin room and 1 double room with an interconnecting door. The beds were firm and comfy, the air con worked very well. Decor and furnishings looked a little tired. Maid service every day.
Pools - The pools were all great with loads of beds to go round (no need to get up at 7 in the morning). Pools and pool area as well as hotel grounds and gardens were kept spotless day and night. Pool towels are provided.
Beach - The beach wasn't great, lots of stones, don't think it was very popular with the hotel guest as it was more or less empty any time we went down (kids loved jumping of the small jetty into the sea). The beach snack bar was just that, with a very limited menu paper plates and plastic cutlrey.
Pool Bars - We ate breakfast at the "secret garden" pool bar most mornings found this to be better than the main buffet breakfast where everything tended to be to cold. (cold fryed egg mmm tasty). We ate lunch at this bar twice but found the food to be very poor with a limited choice, the same goes for the Xanadu pool bar where my wife was served raw chicken in breadcrumbs we left when it arrived and never user it for lunch again. (they forgot to cook it).
Food - I would say the food was OK, thats about all I can come up with. I wish I could have said it was delicious or amazing but realy it wasn't. We went to the satellite (a la carte) restaurants and found these to be more or less to the same standard.
Service - This for us was the worst we have experienced in a long time. I would say the hotel is drastically understaffed.The staff were pleasant enough but were just not very good at their job. Every night at dinner we had to ask to have our plates cleared between coarses or just did ourselves. Asking for a drink was even a chore as they never seemed to understand what you were saying. Most of the staff seemed to be very young therefore very inexperienced and it showed, we heard various reasons for this the main one being that a lot of the older more experienced staff had been moved to the new Xanadu Island Resort to provide training etc. Lucky old us hey!! I have to point out the problem with the service was a major bugbear with just about everyone we spoke to.
Entertainment - The animation team provide this around the antique pool during the day with games and sports, I would say that if you spend your days at the "secret garden" pool you won't see sight nor sound of them. In the evening there are shows in the amphitheatre mostly music and mime performed by the animation team, my wife and kids went some of these shows and enjoyed them. Every night there is live music at the Xanadu Pool Bar. Oh my God it could be pure torture at times. Think of Tony Angelino's version of "cwying" in Only Fools and Horses and you'll get where I'm coming from. The "rosebud bar" had live music on some nights to, enough said, we thought this place lacked any sort of atmosphere only went in a few times. There is a disco every night in the nightclub our kids could'nt get in so I can't comment on that (over 16's only).
Hotel shops - Overpriced is putting it mildly, here's two examples 8 euro for a tube of toothpaste and 42 euro for a 150ml bottle of ambre solaire, Ouch.
Well there it is our review of the Xanadu. It does seem to go against the trend for this hotel on tripadvisor but we feel this is a fair and honest review of what we experienced during our stay. At the moment it's ranked number one in Belek, but realy we don't no why. The Xanadu just never delivered that wow factor that we were expecting and left disappointed to many times during our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Just returned from a stunning 2 weeks at the Xanadu resort. Highlights were the food, range of activities and cleanliness which everyone goes on about at length and I fully agree.

The big disappointment for us was the childcare and the miniclub. We always like to let our son have a couple of hours a day in the miniclub so he can play with other children in a supervised environment (and we get a break) and to play there in the evening after the mini disco! However at Xanadu the staff do not seam that interested in the children. The miniclub has no registration process which did not make me feel comfortable leaving my 4 year old. The majority of children in the club whilst we were there were Russian and with the miniclub staff also being Russian my son felt left out and the staff did not interact with him the one time we left him for an hour (we were watching him from the gym which overlooks the miniclub). He was not included in the facepainting or craft activities and left to play on his own.

The alternative was to use the babysitting service which was €20 / hour in the day or €30 / hour in the evening and the babysitting may still take place in the miniclub!!!

This was a small drawback and we still had a fantastic holiday - you will have a fantastic holiday if you go with no expectations for the miniclub.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
grimsby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

UPSIDES

All we can do is reiterate what other reviewers have said and more. Had a very very enjoyable and relaxing week in a family room in one of the Bungalow blocks near the secret garden pool. We had breakfast at the secret garden pool every morning and used this pool as well which was quieter than the main pool, although i think under 12's should not be allowded in this pool.
Tried most of the restaurants apart from French and Russian and were all excellent and believe me you will put weight on!
Staff were brilliant and so helpfull and accomodating.
Be prepared for your liver to take a hammering as the drinks are branded (if you ask for them) and the measures are at the least trebbles!
The resort is spotless and well kept and a pleasure to walk around, the beach is ok and we have seen alot worse believe me.
You will enjoy Xanadu if you do not then do not go all inclusive because this is the best we think.
There is plenty to do at Zanadu you will not be bored.

DOWNSIDE

Thomas Cook, OMG they are abysmal the reps Danielle and Hannah worse than useless.
Reps at the airport useless and ignorant.
The plane, old cramped, uncleen and not fit to fly
They need to get a grip we had a 27 hour delay going home and they abandoned us, if they treat there pets like they treat us the RSPCA would have been called.

Antalya airport, what a stinking filthy cess pit, with abysmal staff who can speak English when the want to but choose to ignore you especially the Steelbird staff (Thomas cooks sub contract airport agents) who nearly caused a riot on our delay because of there incompetance and refusal to do anything to help us.

All in all fabulous hotel and resort but shame on you Thomas Cook and Antalya Airport will never ever use you again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Harrow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Top class. No fault. Very polite and caring staff.First class service. Only problem it requires more vegetrian food. Will definately go again and send our family there next nyear in summer. Did not feel like coming back.Wish we had booked 10 days instead of 7 days.
Food was really good even though the veg. varitey was less.Must go once in life time..

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at the Xanadu Resort Hotel for the first time in June with our children aged 1 and 2. All in all we had a brilliant holiday and would highly recommend this hotel to all. We stayed in the bungalow block. We had 2 standard rooms with interconnecting doors (referred to as family rooms in Thomas Cook brochure).

GOOD POINTS

The whole resort was spotlessly clean
All staff worked very hard and were excellent including bedroom cleaners
We didn't spend a single penny whilst we were there except tipping (don't forget to tip the cleaners too!)
Gardens beautiful and kept immaculate
Food wonderful, BBQ & huge variety every night. Always fresh and warm.
The weekly BBQ lunch in the Birds of Paradise setting is amazing. Don't miss it!
Live bands and the shows in the amphitheatre were brilliant.
You really can eat and drink whatever you want whenever you want including cocktails.
We met some really lovely people whilst we were there who we will stay in touch with.
Kebabs at the beach bar are a must!
The resort is large and there are loads of sunbeds everywhere. No problem getting a table either and lots of room in all the pools.
Staff very friendly towards children.
Beds were firm and very large (not good for people who don't like a firm mattress though), but we love a firm good quality mattress.
Free laundry service is absolutely brilliant. Everything washed and ironed and back the next day. A within 1 hour service if you just want something collected and ironed only. They won't do socks, anything silky even if it isn't silk, anything without a washing instructions label in it or anything made of wool but who cares!
Lots of free toiletries in your room including a package marked up with the name emergency pack that made us giggle (Anyone who has been to the Xanadu will know what I mean :-)
I had my birthday in resort and was spoilt rotten by the hotel.
Excellent value for money if you like your food and drink as everything really is included. Cocktails are lovely! No extras and no-one cares how much you eat or drink, although we didn't see anyone who was very drunk, out of order or falling over etc which is what concerned me about an All Inclusive, having never been to an AI before.

NOT SO GOOD POINTS

Children under 7 years aren't allowed in the a la cartes so we couldn't use them (No-one told us this before we went, Good old Thomas Cook!). This is something that has been introduced for 2010. However we were more than happy with the buffet food & our children won't sit for long in a restaurant anyway. Some other people with children under 7 were very annoyed about this though & said they wouldn't have chosen the Xanadu if they had known this at the time of booking.
Internet wifi connections don't work in some of the bungalow rooms and when it does work it is extremely slow. Not the end of the world though (unless you had told your boss that you would keep up to date with your email whilst away...ooops!)
Not the nicest beach I have seen & not really suitable for young children. Hardly anyone used it whilst we were there. This didn't matter to us though.
Quite a few Russians there who really are rude to staff and look down at us as if we are of a lower class to them. Lots of pretty young girls dressed to kill in expensive clothes with their rich older overweight Russian husband. This didn't spoil our holiday in the slightest though. They don't queue and will push in infront of you and then take ages choosing what to have. They dressed their children up in expensive long party frocks etc despite the heat & let them use the grass and the pools to wee in in full view of everyone. I guess it is just a different culture to us though and as I say it didn't spoil our holiday.
Spa looked amazing, although we didn't use it as it was extremely expensive.

BAD POINTS

Thomas Cook for us were a waste of time and we will never book a holiday or fly with them again. They completely broke our pushchair and did nothing about it leaving our baby without a pushchair for 2 weeks on holiday. They still haven't done anything about this, despite my holding on the phone to them for almost an hour and writing to them. I have now given up. TC resort girl knew nothing/was completely unhelpful/uninterested and often didn't turn up at the hotel when she was supposed to. Flight was extremely cramped, one member of staff was very rude to my partner who is genuinely terrified of flying. Another member of staff fainted as the aircraft was so hot. They had to borrow a plane from someone else as TC didn't have a plane for some reason. Finally received a drink after 1 and a half hours after take off. Food arrived after 2 and a half hours. Only got 1 drink on the whole 4 hour flight. It was a total shambles.
Make sure you take everything you need with you. Shops in the hotel are stupidly expensive. £7 for a small pack of cheap quality baby wipes.

So all in all as per the title of this review there really is something special about the Xanadu Resort Hotel and it really does leave a place in your heart. You will have to go there to see what I mean. I am sure not everyone has a bad experience with Thomas Cook (otherwise they would have gone out of business by now), but I cannot recommend them to anyone due to our one and only experience with them.

This review is just my honest opinion and not everyone will agree with me on everything. I am more than happy to answer any questions though.

In one simple word...GO!

And PS...don't forget to try the slides :-)

Sharon x

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

My Girlfriend and I have just come to the end of what was a fantastic holiday! Thoroughly enjoyable! The xanadu hotel is one of the best 5 star hotels we have been to. The staff are extremely friendly and the entertainment is great. There are shows on in the ampitheater every other night and even though they mime the entertainers are brilliant dancers and actors! There are also bands on in the bars every night we enjoyed the duo in the irish bar(rosebud) really good singers and they were on most nights. The xanadu has a lot of nice touches for example...free room servce, laundry and pressing service, branded drinks, bottled water in the fridges at the bar to help yourself to..there are always plenty of sun loungers so no need to get up early to beat the sunbed hoggers! We had no problems with the russian people either. Water slides are open 11 till 12 and 3 till 5pm every day for the braver amongst you. We really loved the ancient pool as its though you are stepping back in time and very romantic. We stayed in a junior suite which was situated in the gardens away from the noisy pools which did have quite a few children in them and quite near to the quiet pool which was lovely for a chill out! You have to pay for internet access but this was only 1 euro per day so excellent value for money. The only down side were the water sports on the beach as they were extremely expensive! We were hoping they would provide snorkelling for an hour but they dont do that. There are no irons in the room but because of the free pressing service you dont miss one and they have your items back to you at the most 30mins! One thing to mention is they do seem to prefer the euro to the lira here so you may be better bringing euros. We shall definately be returning to the xanadu in the not to distance future!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Xanadu Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!