“Real summer delight” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Real summer delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Our holiday at the Paloma Grida Village is by far the best summer experience for the season! The complex turned out to be a fantastic place to spend a week or two!

It is a holiday village situated in a beautiful park with pine trees and perfectly arranged gardens. The territory is big but all the villas and facilities are situated in a way that it seems you never walk too long to reach any part of it. The hotel has a tower gate which definitely deserves a visit. Once you reach the top you would have wide view of the complex, the sea, neighboring hotels and golf courses. Entering the gate you find yourself in a real cobbled street with cafes, shops and a bar.

The main restaurant is spotless! The variety of dishes offered could in my opinion suit almost everybody. The staff and cooks seem to be real professionals! Every second or third night they organize a theme dinner – during our stay we enjoyed the Seafood, Chinese and Turkish nights all of them being delicious! But even on a regular day you can find everything you need – salads, vegetarian dishes, meat – grilled or cooked, pasta, junk food, dairy products, fresh fruit and astonishing desserts!!! The A-la-carte restaurants seemed to be really nice too, but we had no need to visit them…we were pretty satisfied with the main restaurant all day long.

Palomotion team is also great – a group of sunny happy people always ready to say hallo, to have a chat with you, to organize a pool game or some other village tournament to fill up the lazy hot afternoons. Special thanks to Sonar and Tolga – you were great!!
Night entertainment programme was always good, expected and visited by most of the occupants of the village. Kids at Paloma Grida are certainly blessed - the boys and girls at the kid clubs take really good care of them. The three pools are very clean and kept in perfect condition all the time – one main big pool which is full early in the morning, a noisy one with four waterslides, and a relax one which is also occupied and reserved well before 7am…However you can always find a sunbed and shade at the beach. The indoor pool and the spa complex are also very well designed and kept in perfect condition. Believe it or not - despite the heat outside, it was a great pleasure to take a Turkish bath.

Negatives. There are a couple of them worth mentioning. Just as we had read in previous reviews, the receptionists tried to trick us with the room. We had booked a standard double room but first they introduced us to a small economy room just above the main street and the Zomm bar, which turned out to be quite a noisy spot. However we did not put up with that and insisted on getting a real standard room far away from the noise. Our wish did not surprise the receptionist at all – they seemed used to that kind of complaints. The second room we were given was just perfect –spacious and quiet, in the middle of a banana-pine-forest. So be ready to argue for what you have booked!
The second and actually last negative feature of Paloma Grida is again something mentioned frequently in the reviews – the best sunbeds and sun-shades are all reserved before 7 am…and the rest are occupied before 8 am…So if you get up at 8 or 9 the only sunbeds you’ll get will be at the beach and surely not in the shades by the pool. I usually get up at 6.45 am on a weekday, and had to get up at 7 am throughout my holiday – not a problem for me, but surely an issue Paloma Grida should consider seriously. People are there on a vacation and not on an early-rise-get-a-shady-sunbed competition!

Paloma Grida village is a wonderful complex which I highly recommend. It is my 5th summer holiday in Turkey and this is the best destination visited so far. The hotel is especially suitable for families with children. Nevertheless, I spent a lovely week in the complex being there with my friend and no kids :-)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We went in late Aug early Sep 2010 with my husband one 5 yr old and one 12yr old. We read some bad reviews before we went but I have to say we loved it. If you have been all inclusive in Turkey before you are prepared for the rudeness of some other guests and the occasional same old buffet food and Turkish animation teams. However I have to say this is the best all inclusive in turkey we have been on. Turkish 5 star English 4 star.
HOTEL. It is a village. There is no air conditioned plush reception but a lovely cobbled courtyard and bar area. The rooms were adequate with a double for us a single for the 12yr old and a portable bed for the 5yr old. We had one out in the grounds. Would not have wanted one over the Zomm bar area with children though. They were clean and tidy and modern decoration. They were cleaned daily as my 5 yr old leaves his toothpaste all around the sink and every day it had been cleaned away without fail. The cleanliness was excellent. The toilets in the public areas were constantly being cleaned and I regularly saw an attendant doing it as well as them ticking off their chart every hour to say they had done it. In addition the bins by the pool were emptied at least 3 times a day while we were there. The only down side I saw no real benefit from the air con in the room. It wasn’t as cold as it could have been, but then I have been to hotels where it goes off at the end of August anyway so at least we had some.

FOOD. There was plenty of choice in the buffet. It can be a bit same old sometimes but I think that is par for the course with all inclusives. But there was plenty of choice. There is also the Turkish bar for a lunch time snack which does kebab meat and Turkish pancakes for variety and the Italian is open late afternoon for pastas. The 5 a la carte restaurants were excellent. The seafood was on a pier in the sea and looked romantic. We loved the Turkish and the Italian. The Italian was excellent pasta just like being in Italy. You can use the A La carte as many times as you like which does make it difficult to book as they get full quickly. You just have to be on the phone at 9 pressing redial for about 10 mins. I made the mistake of redialling too quickly on one day. Listen carefully as when you do get through there is a long dial tone before the answerphone kicks in and you could misinterpret this as an engaged tone. We only went for a week and managed to go to 4 restaurants so it wasn’t that bad. There was ice cream available fort eh kids at lunch and dinner and at about 4pm by the main pool every day was a juice bar. They made a fruit juice and ice cocktail that was lovely and refreshing. They also bought fresh fruit around the pool on trays. I usually expect to experience some doggy tummy upset in Turkey and amazingly this year we all survived with no ill effects.
Entertainment. The animation team are hardest working I have seen. They did the usual day time games and did not hassle you if you did not want to join in. There was a beer afternoon with games and plenty of sports such as volleyball and football. The evening shows were great. They had outside entertainers on occasion but when the teams did shows like the Lion King and Grease they were full of real enthusiasm, great costumes, and good entertainment. The Lion King is a must to see. After the show the Zomm bar is good entertainment with live music but you need to get up there fast to get a table. There is also the disco bar which is good is you fancy some younger music. There was a hotel run kids club that my son never used, but they did collect the children from the restaurant for the kids disco which was good if you wanted to finish dinner without rushing them down yourselves. There was also a Thomas Cook run club which was great with long hours 10-1pm and again 3.30-6pm so you had a choice of when they wanted to go and not just limited to one time slot. There was also one evening party for the cost of £10 which allowed the grown-ups dinner in the a la carte alone for one night.
POOLS. The pools were great and the kids loved the slide pool. We spent time by the busy pool but the quiet pool looked just as good. Each pool and the beach had its own lifeguard something I have never seen in Turkey before. The lifeguards were good. I regularly saw them with a first aid kit giving out wipes and plasters for minor cuts etc that people had. Also on the first day my son came down the rainbow slide and banged his head. The lifeguard spotted this and was straight on his radio. By the time my son was out of the pool there was a member of staff with a cup of ice. I was very impressed. Do not recommend the rainbow slide however for younger children under 7yrs.
Biggest downside was the sunbeds. They really do get taken up very quickly. The first morning we came down at 7.45hrs and the ones by the pools were all taken. We needed on by the pool to watch the children. (There are beds out on the grassy areas that do not get so full). I therefore spent my week getting up at 6am to get a bed by a pool to be able to safely watch the youngest in the water. I I think this happens a lot abroad but this was the worst hotel I have experienced for it. However there are just so many pools and beds I think its impossible to enforce any rules on it.

STAFF I never found the staff rude at all. In fact on my last day I used the changing rooms to shower and get ready to go home. I dropped my earring down the sink and was unable to retrieve it. I told the reception and within 10 minutes I had a maintenance man with me unscrewing the u bend to retrieve my earring for me.
I did not find any problems with other guests. There were the occasional people who don’t like to queue but I think sometimes we are just too British. I never had a time when I found someone deliberately rude. The children’s play area was great and I felt quite happy to let my son play there with me watching from the bar/amphitheatre area.
The only fault we saw was with the Thomas Cook days out which were too expensive. (Nothing to do with the hotel) We went on a day to Aspendos and for 4 it cost £94 (with a free child place) We have lunch included but had to pay for drinks at the restaurant. OK we thought till we got there to find a can of coke was £2.50! We had 6 drinks and it cost £15. Check with the rep what’s included when you book the days out.
Overall we had a fab holiday. We would recommend it and we would book again definitely. It really was good value for money as everything except the occasional kids club event was included. No extras anywhere else. Get booking!

St Helens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

This is an excellent hotel whose staff do it proud. The service is second to none with all the bar and waiting staff working extremely hard to give you a holiday experience to remember.

There were a number of cats and tortoises strolling around the complex all of which were cared for the cats even had their own accomodation and bedding.

The rooms were of an adequate size for 4 bit of a squeeze with the extra bed however, we never realy spent much time in the room.

The airconditioning was dated and did not provide much to chill the room temperature and was extremely noisy.

The pools offered plenty for our 10 year old to do as we very rarely saw her throughout our holiday. Our 3 year old also had plenty to do with the smaller slides and made a number of friends. She also took great pleasure in showing everyone what she had learned in her swimming lessons which we had booked during our stay.

The a la carte restuarants offered a good variety of food with the starters in the greek and Turkish Restaurants being extremely nice. The chinese restaurant was very nice and the duck pancakes were a contrast to what you get in the UK as they were all duck and very little pancake compared to the contrary here at home.

We weren't able to visit the French Restaurant despite constant attempts as it was always fully booked.

The animation team provided a variety of evening entertainment including professional acts that were brought in. Those nights performed by the hotel staff included professional costumes and backing including a night performing the Lion King which involved a number of guests performing roles,

The holiday experience though was shadowed by the arrogance of the German and Russian guests who were extremely rude to the staff and other guests.

Sunbeds had to be reserved at about 6am at which point on a number of days you saw the hoards of german tourists making down on mass to the pool area. The Russians would reserve a number of much sought after shaded sunbeds around the child pools and not materialise until about 5pm when everyone else was making back to their rooms.

On evenings where there was a particularly good show again the German Guests made down to the restaurant en masse in order to eat and secure all the seating in the ampitheatre and Zom Bar where the live entertainment took place. They had the impression that queues did not apply to them and that leaving an empty bottle on a table for over an hour reserved a seat for the whole evening.

The town centre was not the traditional Turkey we expected as the whole resort has been built around the numerous hotels and golf courses. Prices are all based on Euro and there is no scope to barter over prices. The whole town resembles a concrete jungle which was very hot during the day.

Overall we had a very good holiday thanks to the staff of the hotel in particular Onder and Serife who went out of their way to make unusual cocktails not only for my wife but for the children as well.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stayed at the Paloma with my husband, children, Mum and Dad and friends.

On arrival, I was stunned at how attractive this 'village' was it was georgous. We arrived at check in to be welcomed by friendly staff and within minutes ( a nice and easy check-in I might add considering how hot it was and the fact my children were moaning about hurrying up and heading to the pool) a little truck/car pulled up to take our luggage to our rooms.

For what I can only assume was a mix-up, we didn't get the sea view room we had paid for so after a quick visit back to the reception we were put right!

The staff were welcoming and friendly throughout our stay and on the second day in to our holiday my daughter slipped around the pool hurting her ankle and breaking the grid in the process. Within 5 minutes of informing the life guard on duty, the grid was fixed preventing further injury and my daughter was seen by an on sight doctor and treated like a princess by staff for the remainder of our stay.

We all enjoyed the food which was a different choice everynight, and ate at the A La Carte resturants on a couple of occassions although this is a bit of a pain to try and book!!

On one of the day's myself and the ladies in my party enjoyed a day in the spa compliments of our spouses which was absolutely relaxing to say the least! Defo reccommend the Indian Head Massage by Leon I think his name was!!

We ventured onto the beach on one of the days but to be honest kids and sand are a bit of a nightmare so most of our holiday was enjoyed around the Octopus pool!

Entertainment was enjoyed and the 'bar street' with outside table and chairs and live bands was fantastic.

Overall, we loved every minute of this holiday and will definately be booking up again for two weeks next year!

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

We have just returned fro the Grida Village and I can honestly say we had the most wonderful time. Even though I had a stomach bug for approx 4 day I wasn't going to let it ruin what I'd been looking forward to all year. I did hear of other people coming down with the same thing and ear infections but I beleive this can happen anywheere.

Having travelled to Turkey last yr (Side) for the 1st time we decided to visit again and we were not desappointed. The hotel room was big and it made a change having a proper bed for my 7 yr old as opposed to the usual camp bed. The air con was just right and my only gripe would be no beer in the mini bar although there is always somewhere to go whatever the time for food and drink.

The pools are wonderful especially the pool with slides and there are lifeguards on in the morning and afternoon. We always went around the main pool as there was always something going on and the entertainment team where never pushy and they were warm and friendly always talking to you and asking how you were, what you like etc.
The gardens surrounding the pools were lush and green so if you couldn't get a bed around any of the pools you could try the gardens or the beach. I must admit though getting a sunbed was a problem as you really did have to be up by 6/7 am to get a sunbed. The first four days were didn't get up till nearly dinner time (because we enjoyed the night time too much) so put on towels etc on a chair in bar bianco. Then we did what everyone else did get up early.

The good thing about this hotel is that it really is 'all inclusive', as with other hotels there are restrictions on how may times you can try the al la carte or how many times you can change you beach towel, get beer until etc but here there is none of that which was brillient as we tried most of the al la carte restaurants and I can say the chinese, Italian and Turkish were our favourites. The main restaurant was also very good with lots of choice, if you couldn't find anything to eat in here then you really are fussy.

Nightly entertainment was excellent aspecially the Lion King, mamma Mia and Grease. we also sure the Chinese circus and the pirate show (outside performers) and both were absouletly fantastic. Once the show is over you can head to the Zomm bar where they have live music and everyone dances in the cobble street. The Zomm bar had a really nice feel and the bar staff again work really hard, Serife was lovely and never ever got our order wrong - some of the young one did but it was never really a problem. Once the music ends at 11.30 pm you can then move onto the Disco which my 7 year loved by the way. The entertainment team work so hard, they are there at 10 am in the morning and at the Disco until 1.30 am.

I was also like to point out that the Village was spotlessly clean, there was always maintenance men walking around the grounds cleaning and our room was cleaned everyday (even when we told the main to come back tomorrow as we were still in bed she would always come back in the afternoon and clean it anyway).

Last thing is the kids club, we registered with both Thomas Cook and the hotel run Polly kids club and I in my son's opinion he much preferred the hotel one as they spent a lot more time doing different things with them rather than thesitting in a locked room either drawing or play on the DS (which he can do at home), he also said no one made an effort to talk to him and that they had a 'time out' chair. The polly kids club played games inside but also played games in the pool (parent permsiion required of course). he also got to go to a petting zo and horse riding (addl 20 euros) which he loved.

All in all do not let the negative things people say put you off visitng the Paloma Grida as it is a fabulouse place to holiday for everyone and I would definately go back

Brugge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

A real 5 star hotel, comparing to the other 5 star hotels we stayed at in Turkey: beautiful environment, elegant rooms, amazing food and REAL drinks (real juice, wine, cocktails), friendly staff. Kids club was fantastic; they even took kids to a local farm. A Spa was amazing! Inside swimming pool, Jacuzzi and Turkish bath are for free. Prices for the treatments are high but negotiable. Couple of downsides: do not ask for a room with a sea view because the disco will not let you sleep at night and forget about eating in A LA CARTE restaurants. For some odd reason, the system of booking A LA CARTE restaurant ( I think there are 5 restaurants) is too difficult and it will bring you only stress during your vacation. You can call only between 9 am and 15 pm and you can only book for the next day and you can only listen to an answering machine. So, you start calling at 9 am, of course the line is busy because everyone is calling, and when finally you get through at 9.10 – the machine tells you that all restaurants are fully booked and that you should try again next day… Anyway, these were the only negative points during our stay, all the rest was perfect!

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Overall this was good but there are a few reasons why you might not want to go:

1. Sunbeds - Most sunbeds gone well before 7am - I get up at 6am wherever I am, so no problem but this wouldn't suit everyone.

2. Air-conditioning - Not really up to par in the rooms and non-existent elsewhere. Sweated for 2 weeks until I go back on the coach for the airport. the only cool place is the Thomas Cook kids club!

3. Ear Infections - these were rife due to the pool temperature not being controlled properly. I know of a dozen families that had to consult the doctor or pharmacy.

4. Night-time noise - Going to Turkey, I expect the call to Allah at early o'clock but many of the rooms will also be disturbed by: [a] Zomm Barr entertainment until 11:30; [b] coaches dropping off and picking up throughout the night; [c] noisy air-conditioning. Also, it didn't help when I rasied this with guest relations and they laughed!

5. Restaraunts - If you are booking for the A la carte restaraunts be aware that someone will have to be in your room between 08:55 and 09:10 in order to book for the following day.

Good points:

1. Thomas Cook Kids Club - Zowie, Nicole and Juliette were great with the kids and gave the opportunity for them to get out of the heat for a little bit.

2. The sea - easy entry to the sea from beach or pier.

3. Pools & Slides - Great selection to keep everyone occupied from the octopus fountain slide to the super-fast rainbow slide. Activities in the "busy" pool and the calm of the relax pool. Indoor pool was pretty cool too.

4. Food - The a la cartes were great if you took the time to persist getting in, chinese was our favourite. Large selection in the main restaraunt too.

5. Cleanliness - everything was cleaned every day from the rooms to the pavement!

6. Rooms - plenty of room for 3!

7. Entertainment - good selection but could have started ealier then 21:30

Overall, had a nice time but if you only have one holiday a year, I would not want to risk it being spoilt by any of the things I already mentioned.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Paloma Grida Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!